Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong to use drugs.

1101112131416»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

laurak265 wrote: »
    How the HELL do you abuse tobacco? Tobacco doesn't rot your brain or make you as high as a kite...your not a danger to every road user in the country is you smoke tobacco in your car compared to marijuana...Tobacco doesn't give ya a nasty hangover and make you obnoxious to live with every bloody day!

Most of ye are just defending drugs because your trying to defend your own actions. I feel sorry for ye that ye have to be high to have a laugh with your mates...I think ye need to get new mates that make you laugh without drugs!!

Nicotine is an insecticide and is quite toxic. The equivelant of about 6 or seven cigarettes worth of it is enough to kill an adult. One is enough to make a child violently ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

Sean_K wrote: »
    Nicotine is an insecticide and is quite toxic. The equivelant of about 6 or seven cigarettes worth of it is enough to kill and adult.

How do people smoke 40 a day then and not die??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

How do people smoke 40 a day then and not die??

That's only because they don't absorb enough of it.

and anyway, that's not relevant. The fact is that nicotine is heavily abused. It's a stimulant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Rob_l wrote: »
    No i dont see the difference bewteen the two in both cases the users feels a need or urge to take the substance to me thats plain and simple its an addiction, if that be mental or physical is irrelavant because we are taking addiction not technicalities.

The words dependance and addiction are interchangeable not opposing meanings.

You're wrong...if I have a crack, or heroin addiction, I am physically addicted to those drugs...that is to say that if I don't take them, I can physically feel the effect of not having taken them...in most cases that can manifest itself as pain, illness, tremors, whatever...in this case the body, not the brain or the mind is urging me to scratch my itch...this urge is a lot harder for an addict to fight than any phsycological aspect to the addiction.
    The substance has developed this hold on me by means of lowering or stopping the production of one or several bodily chemicals necessary for normal function...it is difficult, nigh impossible to overcome these physical urges to take the drug again by using "willpower" alone.

This is the difference....

Take weed, ecstasy, amphetamines, most hallucinogens...any aspect of an addiction to these substances is psychological...it's all in your head. That means that anyone addicted to them and trying to kick the habit, doesn't experience phsyical withdrawals or at least not to any major extent. The user has become dependent through repeated use...but any addiction is NOt physical.

There are certain substances like alcohol and cocaine that form strong physical and psychological addictions depending on the user and the level of usage. In the case of alcoholism, the addict first becomes psychologically dependent and then as time passes the body gradually forms a chemical dependence.

I'm sorry but if you can't see the fundamental difference between the two types of addiction then you shouldn't really be discussing it with a view to being taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I don't think doing drugs is wrong. In fact, I would like to see drugs legalized and regulated.
    That said, I don't do drugs regularly, and that includes alcohol. I'll have a drink once in a while, but I've never had more than 2 on any one night. I smoked weed once, but found the experience overrated. I've also smoked hookah (if that can be considered), but I didn't notice any substantial difference in my physical or mental state.
    I have no real interest in drugs. Some of my friends do it to improve their creativity (they're writers), but I find that my creative is surplus without drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

robby^5 wrote: »
    Marijuana should be legalized.

a) because its a pointless ban, marijuana is only as dangerous as alchohol or tabacco, and only if its abused, so why the double standard?
    quote]

How the HELL do you abuse tobacco? Tobacco doesn't rot your brain or make you as high as a kite...your not a danger to every road user in the country is you smoke tobacco in your car compared to marijuana...Tobacco doesn't give ya a nasty hangover and make you obnoxious to live with every bloody day!

Most of ye are just defending drugs because your trying to defend your own actions. I feel sorry for ye that ye have to be high to have a laugh with your mates...I think ye need to get new mates that make you laugh without drugs!!

More stereotypical nonsense from yet another person who has never actually tried drugs.

Hint : Plenty of places in the world where cannabis is legal. Get a ticket, give it a shot, form an opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I've also smoked hookah (if that can be considered), but I didn't notice any substantial difference in my physical or mental state.

You would if you turfed 2 grams of weed in :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    So you're for the banning of alcohol?

Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

No. You can't put toothpaste back in the tube.

WTF? I never said that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

How the HELL do you abuse tobacco?
    Um... by smoking it? Despite the dangers such as lung cancer, emphysema, heart disease etc?
    your not a danger to every road user in the country is you smoke tobacco in your car compared to marijuana
    People who smoke marijuana while driving are muppets... but it's the people in this instance that are the problem, not the marijuana itself.
    Tobacco doesn't... make you obnoxious to live with every bloody day!
    Have you not SEEN how aggressive a smoker can get if they don't have fags?!
    Most of ye are just defending drugs because your trying to defend your own actions.
    And you're dissing drugs because you only associate them with the effects of irresponsible use... how about in moderation? Like alcohol in moderation?
    I feel sorry for ye that ye have to be high to have a laugh with your mates...I think ye need to get new mates that make you laugh without drugs!!
    A generalisation based on nothing seeing as you have no proof people on this thread don't have mates who make them laugh, and no proof people on this thread NEED drugs to have a laugh.

• Advertisement

WTF? I never said that...

spooky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Wertz wrote: »

I'm sorry but if you can't see the fundamental difference between the two types of addiction then you shouldn't really be discussing it with a view to being taken seriously.

Of course there are differences between them but that does not make a mental addiction any less an addiction

Of course there are differences between them but that does not make a mental addiction any less an addiction

It does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Okay agreed, but one is much tougher to fight than the other.

If I want to quit smoking weed (on which I freely admit to being psychologically addicted to) tomorrow, I turn around and say stop to myself, quit buying it, quit being around people who'll convince me back into smoking it and that's about that. Like Scumlord I've done that plenty of times over the years, for similar reasons. No night horrors, stomach cramps, diahaerea, convulsions or much else. I might have it hard to get to sleep for the first few nights but that's only because I'm used to falling asleep stoned.

If I had a heroin addiction, even a mild one, the willpower (of which I have a lot) alone would probably not be enough to curb my urges. For this reason alone, I am a lot less likely to kick the habit since I need more than just myself to help me quit...if it comes to a choice between shivering and shaking in my own sh*te or going out and scoring then I'll probably just score and worry about quitting the next time. In order to quit, I first have to overcome the physical addiction before I have any hope of trying to tackle my mental dependence.
    Add to this that it's a lot more liklely that you'll go out and commit crime or hurt people to feed the physical addiction...it's human instinct to avoid pain by any means. With a psychological addiction I may want the substance, I may think I even need it, but urge isn't ever so strong as to cause me to hurt others or steal to obtain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

all drugs activate a part of the brain which rewards you for taking the substance
    Wrong. Not all drugs affect reward pathways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 alfaboy155

javaboy wrote: »
    The problem with that approach is that your relying on your own opinion to decide if it's affecting you badly. The whole concept of altered state of mind makes that a bit unreliable. You just have to look at all the alcoholics who insist that they don't have a problem.

No I'm not relying on my opinion when I was in an altered state of mind(I felt great after taking whatever), I'm relying on my memories of how I was to others around me the day(s) after due to the wed blues/ come down and how this cycle spiralled out of of control which made me a not very nice person to be around when I wasn't in that altered state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

alfaboy155 wrote: »
    No I'm not relying on my opinion when I was in an altered state of mind(I felt great after taking whatever), I'm relying on my memories of how I was to others around me the day(s) after due to the wed blues/ come down and how this cycle spiralled out of of control which made me a not very nice person to be around when I wasn't in that altered state.
    all part of the parcel, every good thing has its bad components

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Sherifu wrote: »
    It's wrong to use illegal drugs.

Well it's clear who decides what's wrong and right for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭chops1990

weed is great! there more healthy for you than alcohol and cigarettes. i dont see the problem with it. look at amsterdam. your allowed smoke weed there. there is no real hard evidence of long lasting side effects of weed, as with cigs or drink. lifes for livin, live while your alive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Try Nimbin........

place is a freak show

• Advertisement
Advertisement