Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong to use drugs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

So your only problem with illegal drugs is that they are illegal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Wrong by who? I think it's wrong to point the finger just to feel good about yourself.

Drugs? Great laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Why would something being illegal be enough to turn you against it though?

Medicinal marijuana is illegal, yet it relieves unbearable pain for terminally ill people.

An old woman in England who's campaigning for its legalisation says her life has improved immeasurably thanks to cannabis, following years of physical pain as a result of two car crashes, and decades of emotional and psychological pain following the death of her son.

She goes by her nickname "Cannigran". Not a good nick at all - she really should have picked "Grannibas".

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I second this question and would add that by making certain drugs illegal, you make criminals of the users of that drug and force them to rub shoulders with other criminals for supply.

It also supports the upper tiers of drug fiefdom, for whom the worst thing that could happen would be de-criminalisation. I'd guess that well over 50% of every drug dealers income is from grass, which could be cut out from under them.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Dudess,not too sure what was sarcasm and what wasn't . But im glad you agree with some of what i said...again i think you agreed.
    As for **** looking down on people for not doing drugs, i agree with that whole heartedly. There is nothing worse at a session than a loud mouth coke head roaring and shouting that everyone is a sh*tbuzz cause they cant be arsed getting coked up and sitting through one of his machine-gun styled over excited and completely nonsensical explanations of why tupac is great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Sherifu wrote: »
    Cars are legal.

Legal, legal.

Whats has legality got to do with how right or wrong taking drugs are? I'm not entirely sure but i don't even thing the taking of drugs is illegal just possession and sale . Alchohol is illegal but is classed as a drug in the OP's question. I agree drugs are illegal but why are they wrong?

-Funk

No sarcasm at all. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

bit of a silly question op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

When you take illegal drugs you are responsible for all the gangland shootings.. bla bla de do da day..

I know you didn't mean that seriously, but I think I'll just chime in before someone does try to use it.
    Drugs don't cause gangland shootings, PROHIBITION causes shootings. The fact that prohibition creates an unregulated market which is insanely profitable causes the violence. Another example: alcohol prohibition brought the mafia to power in the United States.

Legalisation and regulation would make the market unprofitable, which would get rid of the violent crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

briantwin wrote: »
    Dudess,not too sure what was sarcasm and what wasn't . But im glad you agree with some of what i said...again i think you agreed.
    As for **** looking down on people for not doing drugs, i agree with that whole heartedly. There is nothing worse at a session than a loud mouth coke head roaring and shouting that everyone is a sh*tbuzz cause they cant be arsed getting coked up and sitting through one of his machine-gun styled over excited and completely nonsensical explanations of why tupac is great!

You think that cocaine makes people really like Tupac?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

DeVore wrote: »
    I second this question and would add that by making certain drugs illegal, you make criminals of the users of that drug and force them to rub shoulders with other criminals for supply.

It also supports the upper tiers of drug fiefdom, for whom the worst thing that could happen would be de-criminalisation. I'd guess that well over 50% of every drug dealers income is from grass, which could be cut out from under them.

DeV.

Then grow your own if you are going to use it?

Hmmmm...there is a difference between , lets say, someone getting exploited in a foreign country due to me buying an article of clothing and people beng shot in this country due to the illegal drug trade.

And that difference is...my tax money is going towards investigating these crimes and every bloody thing associated with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Kold wrote: »

"Cocaine's a hell of a drug"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Kold wrote: »

You'd need to be drinking ****ing Domestos to like that cunt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i can't think of any other reason anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Use? No.

Abuse? Yes.

Also, it is wrong to use some drugs imo. Like Heroin.

But is something "wrong" simply cause it is in the category of Drugs? Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Drugs are bad m'kaaay,

You shouldn't do drugs.

If you do drugs, you're bad, m'kaaaay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Keggers

WELLLLLLLL. I think anything in moderation is grand really although I'm being a massive hypocrite here because I never have and never will touch drugs or fags (bodge polls included) alcohol on the other hand.....

Ok here's the compromise enjoy the trips, getting stoned, drunk etc just don't go ruining you lives with them ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

You'd need to be drinking ****ing Domestos to like that cunt.

And it'd need to be in a "40" bottle that will only contain either that or crunk juice that you can swig while kickin it with your baby mommas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

It's wrong to use illegal drugs.

so are they illegal because they're wrong?

or are they wrong because they're illegal?

Really, must remember that next time there's someone shot dead by the gangs in Limerick or Dublin. Whether you like it or not, these guys are getting shot for the money to be made from middle-class drug users.

Course if you grow your own, or have a better way of getting drugs than involving illegal suppliers, go for it.
    so as i always say, the only bad thing about drugs is that they're illegal.

they're not good for you either but people can do whatever they want to their own health as long as it doesn't affect me

• Advertisement

Cars are legal.

Legal, legal.

so the only problem is that they're illegal? so why are they illegal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I hope prescription drugs are not included in the vote of the wise yes voters :rolleyes:

It never fails: people who moralise about drugs bitch and moan about the lives it ruins - i.e. the moral and ethical implications (the illegality barely comes into it, if at all). Then as soon as it's pointed out that most of us are guilty of unethical, immoral practices, suddenly the anti-drugs moralisers - as if by magic - switch from moaning about the ethical/moral implications to moaning about the illegality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

It always makes me chuckle when pro-drug lobbyists on boards and elsewhere seek to show a false argument in support of illegal drugs by lumping them in with drugs like caffeine, alcohol, nicotine etc.

OP the true intent of your post is obvious, and your question is so mind-numbingly over-simplistic that it's laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Are medicines counted as drugs? Or just the ones that are fun?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Kernel wrote: »
    It always makes me chuckle when pro-drug lobbyists on boards and elsewhere seek to show a false argument in support of illegal drugs by lumping them in with drugs like caffeine, alcohol, nicotine etc.

what false argument?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

No.

If you want to know the secrets of the universe, try acid! :p

There are certain people who go overboard and can screw up their lives and the people around them, but this is true with alcohol as well as other types of drugs.

Heroin and crack are bad, because of the high chance of addiction (or any other highly addictive drug)

On a lighter note!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

To be honest you poll needs a "maybe" option.

I know plenty of people who drink and do drugs, some for the right reasons, some for the wrong reasons.

Of the top of my head i know four or five people who should never, EVER use any type of illegal drug bar smoking weed or hash. I know two to three times that many who should never, ever drink.

They either cannot handle the substance they choose to abuse or using it to run away from things they would be better of turning and facing.

So, is it wrong to use drugs?

No. And yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Mordeth wrote: »
    what false argument?

The false argument that people are in favour of all drugs, when in reality, people are in favour of legal drugs such as alcohol, coffee... whatever, we've danced this dance many times Mordeth! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Kernel wrote: »
    The false argument that people are in favour of all drugs, when in reality, people are in favour of legal drugs such as alcohol, coffee... whatever, we've danced this dance many times Mordeth! ;)

Of course, then people join in and point out that it's not quite as simple as legal/illegal. People use valium recreationally, but it's a legal drug, assuming you have a prescription.

The divide between legal and illegal is pretty arbitrary, so it seems foolish to me to approve or disapprove of a drug based on its legality.

I doubt the OP had an agenda as such. A question like that is meant to stimulate discussion, rather than find a definitive answer.

Advertisement