Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong to use drugs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh god, the gateway drug argument pisses me off. I smoke the odd bit of doob (as in, at a house party every few months) and do you know how much ecstasy, cocaine, speed and/or acid I've ever taken? None!

Yeah. The odd spliff. 90% plus of people have.

Of people who actully BUY hash, Id reckon the majority have advanced.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Why our generation? Drugs have been in use for a long time whats different about this generations use?

Where? In Ireland?

Illegal drugs have been available to Joe Public since the mid 70s at best. And that is just in Dublin and the cities. Before that it was students sneaking a bit back from trips to London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

DeVore wrote a great post about cannabis being a gateway drug a while ago, not going to try find it as ye know how many posts he has...

This is from loose memory so is not gospel, however it went something like this:

Cannabis is deemed a gateway drug because we are told growing up in school that if we smoke it we will become addicted, have to quit our jobs and rob old people to support that addiction and generally become social outcasts.

Then we try it and say to ourselves "Holy $hit, I'm fine. So the school and media have been feeding me horse**** all this time". So we try something else and realise again that the affects/reprucussions were not at all like the schools/media portrayed it as.

DeV worded it better than I, maybe if he spots this post he can jot up his opinion on cannabis being a gateway drug again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Tigger wrote: »
    i'm going to say this slowly so everyone can listen and understand

there are two gateway drugs in this country
    alcohol and ciggatettes

Saying it slowly doesn't make it any more true. There is no scientific consensus on gateway drugs, be they marijuana, alcohol or cigarettes.

Hell, given the arguments which have been put forward in favour of the gateway theory (which seem to be limited to "because I know someone who..." and "because IT'S TRUE"), I could reasonably argue that coffee is a gateway drug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I once had a PC from Gateway.

Let me tell ya, if you didn't feel like doing lots of drugs after talking to their helpline staff there's something wrong with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

ScumLord wrote: »
    Is it wrong to enjoy drugs, is it wrong to like getting drunk, stoned, trip?

It's not wrong to enjoy getting off your head every now and then (humans have been doing it for years, we appear to be driven to get off our heads every now and then) so I don't think drugs are bad in general.

However, most people cannot take drugs responsibly or in moderation,`and they allow drugs to negativly impact their life and the lives of those around them, so overall I think drugs are very bad for society.

IMO drug dealing and possession should be dealt with a lot more harshly by the law. I would vote for a politician who wanted to introduce long jail sentences for drug dealing and possession.

I know people will say "we should be allowed do what we want to do", but unfortunately most humans are thick and selfish so complete freedom does not work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Where? In Ireland?

Illegal drugs have been available to Joe Public since the mid 70s at best. And that is just in Dublin and the cities. Before that it was students sneaking a bit back from trips to London.
    Drugs have been used in Ireland for 100s of years and it's the same all over the world. Irish didn't have access to cannabis until more recently (but WB Yeats smoked it) but we did love our shrooms.

I was talking about the world at large though, people have been using drugs for centurys probably milenia and it was never seeen as a problem until Heroin came along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,833 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

i'm going to say this slowly so everyone can listen and understand

there are two gateway drugs in this country
    alcohol and cigarettes

Best Argument Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i'm sure your being ironic but its true

you wann pretend this isn't after hours here we go
    we are told as children that ciggateets are bad for us that dirnk will make us stupid and that drugs are gonna kill us
    the "gateway" isn't therefore that we get hooked or that we need to move to otherdrugs the gateway is that the gradual dissolution of our faith in our "superiors " or simply our rebelling against them will encourage "along with peer pressure and natural inquisitiveness) the use of better
    more and more "dangerous"/"unacceptable" drugs
    so underage smoking leads to underage drinking which acually imho leads to a general disrespect to the law in general and to drug usage in particular

this means that we see that ciggys are nice and that peopple have an ilicit culture around them for schoolkids and we start to wonder what the "bigger boys" are oing in the field with the warm flagons and hot girls
    soon were sitting around nicely floaty belching lindon village and its hardly a quantum leap to partake of a joint when offered
    the method of smoking a j btw is something that is uncomfortable for a non smoker but natural to a smoker and once we have smoked and drank then a bit of dope is hjardly gonna make us feel either "oh know we're breaking the law " or" this is very bold
    no . because the casual lawbreaking and general fun times involved in both the culture and the act of the underage usaage of smokes and booze have started us onn this path
    i got as far as a bit of brown in a j and decided that that was far enough soi do have some idea where i'm comingh from

Fremen wrote: »
    Saying it slowly doesn't make it any more true. There is no scientific consensus on gateway drugs, be they marijuana, alcohol or cigarettes.

Hell, given the arguments which have been put forward in favour of the gateway theory (which seem to be limited to "because I know someone who..." and "because IT'S TRUE"), I could reasonably argue that coffee is a gateway drug.

please debate me on that issue

cofee is not a gateway drug and i don't believe there is and thesis that you could put up that will convince that it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Neither did MDMA(Ecstasy), Cannabis, Acid, Speed, Magic Mushrooms etc.

I hate the way all illegal drugs are lumped together as one thing.

You've taken me out of context there. My post was replying to dudess, in which we were comparing criminal gangs and corporations. Criminal gangs have turned many a flat complex into drug infested kips simply to make a profit. I attacked the gangs not the products..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

please debate me on that issue

There's not much to debate. As I've stated numerous times in this thread, there is no good scientific evidence for the gateway drug theory. For every study which supports it, there is another refuting it. It's poorly understood at best, and should not be taken as fact.

I'm repeating myself, but correlation and causation are not the same thing. Teenage drinking is probably highly correlated with drug-taking, but then so is being a disruptive pupil in school. Does this mean being a disruptive pupil leads you to take hard drugs?

You can come up with as many rationalisations as you want for the gateway theory, but until I see some FACTS, I'm not buying it.

there are no popssaible facts, i don't get what you are looking for.
    do you think that there is no such thing as progression through drugs as per what i theorised
    smokes-drink-smoke-acid-pills-speed/valium-coke/opiates-herion
    do you think some peolpe start with a line of coke after 12 years as a pioneer

why are you so adamant that you need facts. i mean there is no facts that could be produced just theories backed by statistics anbd the research isn't gonna get done cos alcohol is quite popular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Sherifu wrote: »
    Is there a point to your ramblings?

not if you're going to be rude about it. bye bye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

As Bill Hicks once said:

"If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? RrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrEAL ****ing high on drugs. The Beatles were so ****ing high they let Ringo sing a few songs"

Sums it up for me really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

dublindude wrote: »
    IMO drug dealing and possession should be dealt with a lot more harshly by the law. I would vote for a politician who wanted to introduce long jail sentences for drug dealing and possession.

Are you applying this logic to alcohol as well? You should be since it is a way bigger problem in this country.
    dublindude wrote: »
    I know people will say "we should be allowed do what we want to do", but unfortunately most humans are thick and selfish so complete freedom does not work.

So what? I'm getting sick of being told what to do just ebcause other people can't be responsible for themselves. As far as I'm concerned if you're stupid enough to wind up addicted to heroin or whatever substance you choose then good luck to you. the only demogrpahic I have any aptience with are people who are exposed as teenagers and have no diea what they're doing. And even then I have to ask why I have to suffer under the boot of government mandates because other people can't take care of their kids.

The responsibility doesn't lie with me, so explain why I should have to shoulder these ridiculous sanctions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I vote the next person to quote Bill Hicks gets shot.

"Mister, I don't want no trouble. I just came downtown here to get some hard rock candy for my kids, some gingham for my wife. I don't even know what gingham is, but she goes through about ten rolls a week of that stuff. I ain't looking for no trouble, Mister."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Of late i have done a complete Uturn on the subject of de-crimiliasation.
    I have done alot of drugs. Weed, coke, MMDA, acid, shrooms the works. I have also got pissed of my head on striaght vodka. The most stupid irresponsible things i have ever done, i have done whilst drunk. Thats a fact.

Would i have done MMDA and coke if i had not smoked weed? Probably not. Would i have done weed, if i had not smoked? Probably not.
    The gateway argument has some merit when applied to my situation. I have an addicitive personality. It's just the way i am. Should other people be legally prohibited because i have an addictive, self destructive streak, no they should not. I cannot understand why alcohol is legal and drugs are not. Any problems i have encountered in my own life and my friends life are drink related. Friends of mine got killed in a car crash by a drunk driver.

togster wrote: »
    Of late i have done a complete Uturn on the subject of de-crimiliasation.
    I have done alot of drugs. Weed, coke, MMDA, acid, shrooms the works. I have also got pissed of my head on striaght vodka. The most stupid irresponsible things i have ever done, i have done whilst drunk. Thats a fact.

Would i have done MMDA and coke if i had not smoked weed? Probably not. Would i have done weed, if i had not smoked? Probably not.
    The gateway argument has some merit when applied to my situation. I have an addicitive personality. It's just the way i am. Should other people be legally prohibited because i have an addictive, self destructive streak, no they should not. I cannot understand why alcohol is legal and drugs are not. Any problems i have encountered in my own life and my friends life are drink related. Friends of mine got killed in a car crash by a drunk driver.

i think that anyone who did a lot and has reflected upon it now see the progressive drug usage or gateway theory is correct

i think drugs shoould be legalised but that acess is dependant on contributing to sovceity
    sorta brave new world but more stoned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Mordeth wrote: »
    imo it's wrong *not* to use drugs

acid should be mandatory

Should be added to the water supply for a day each year. Ideally some time after Christmas lights go up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

i think that anyone who did a lot and has reflected upon it now see the progressive drug usage or gateway theory is correct

i think drugs shoould be legalised but that acess is dependant on contributing to sovceity

is it hell. Id say circle of friends is the gateway drug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Sorta like an EP of Sliders where you could only have Fast Food if you were fit enough. if you werent fit enough and tried to buy fast food they'd shoot you in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭le_dazzler

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I once had a PC from Gateway.

Let me tell ya, if you didn't feel like doing lots of drugs after talking to their helpline staff there's something wrong with you.

Genius!

Kold wrote: »
    I vote the next person to quote Bill Hicks gets shot.

“A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a ****ing cross? It's like going up to Jackie Onassis wearing a rifle pendant.”

“They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realize that it's not worth the ****ing effort. There is a difference.”

“Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.”

“I have never seen two people on pot get in a fight because it is ****ing IMPOSSIBLE. "Hey, buddy!" "Hey, what?" "Ummmmmmm...." End of argument.”

“No, I don't do drugs anymore, either. But I'll tell you something about drugs. I used to do drugs, but I'll tell you something honestly about drugs, honestly, and I know it's not a very popular idea, you don't hear it very often anymore, but it is the truth: I had a great time doing drugs. Sorry. Never murdered anyone, never robbed anyone, never raped anyone, never beat anyone, never lost a job, a car, a house, a wife or kids, laughed my ass off, and went about my day.”

HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT??? OOOOH SHOOT ME NOW I@M SHAKING IN MY FRIGGIN BOOTS!! HAHAHAHHA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    not if you're going to be rude about it. bye bye
    .o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Awesomo-4000

Should be added to the water supply for a day each year. Ideally some time after Christmas lights go up.

I second that motion!

I second that motion!

Me too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Sherifu wrote: »
    .o/

why are you being like this? i was having a bit of a laugh with you and you seem to have been insulted by it. are you always like this on boards? your other posts wouldn't seem to suggest so

I second that motion!

Me too!! Can i have some cake now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT??? OOOOH SHOOT ME NOW I@M SHAKING IN MY FRIGGIN BOOTS!! HAHAHAHHA

It's not that I dislike Bill Hicks, or particularly disagree. However that quote has come up several times in this thread and similar ones before it. You're not original, not funny and tbh, sound like an utter f*cking moron. But whatever like.

Advertisement