Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong to use drugs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    why are you being like this? i was having a bit of a laugh with you and you seem to have been insulted by it. are you always like this on boards? your other posts wouldn't seem to suggest so
    lol, you must be on the good drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Kold wrote: »
    It's not that I dislike Bill Hicks, or particularly disagree. However that quote has come up several times in this thread and similar ones before it. You're not original, not funny and tbh, sound like an utter f*cking moron. But whatever like.

Well tbh you sound like an arrogant, pompous nancy boy. But whatever like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Sherifu wrote: »
    lol, you must be on the good drugs.

fair enough so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭dbs_sailor

Ok, here I go:

On the term "gateway drug"... It is possibly the most irritating thing associated with the conversation on recreational drug use. It is traditionally thrown out by people either sitting behind a news desk, school teachers glancing over the topic in 3rd year CSPE class, or by people who've bought into what's been said by the previous two. The fact that it's so regularly used seems to imply that there are certain substances which are demonstrably, scientifically proven as being the starting point for future hard drug addicts.

Once and once only:

There. Are. No. Such. Things. As. Gateway. Drugs.

First off... The only supporting information ever seen is some survey done of 100 recovering drug addicts or of 50 college students which proves absolutely nothing other than that certain people know how to waste time and money or ridiculous tests. I can't count the amount of tools that have brought up one of these surveys or tiny 4 line snips from magazines into the debate. People need to start separating what they see on the cover of MetroAM from scientific fact and reality. I'm not even kidding.

Second. Anecdotal evidence == no.

Not interested in your friend who "only smoked a joint once and then turned to"- No. Irrelevant.

Not interested in the person who "started smoking at 16, got into E at 18, became a heroin addict at 19 and is now DEAD." Sorry, your friend was an asshole and so are you.

I don't want to hear you spout that sort of crap in the same way you don't want to hear me mentioning the numerous examples of people going STRAIGHT ONTO HARD DRUGS.. .. ... FROM NOTHING!!!

It's a shock, I know. But, everything drug-related isn't a measurable downward spiral. Ok that'll do on "gateway drugs". I don't have enough fingers to count people I know who have only ever smoked cannabis and nothing else.

As far as Bill Hicks is concerned. I ****ing love Bill Hicks and I thought he so funny and right and a bit preachy but he always hit the nail right on the head. 3 years of college later and I grimace every time someone launches into a 50 minute performance of every well known bit the man ever did. Bill Hicks is no longer obscure, a cult figure, or new, so please, pipe down and develop some of your own opinions instead of rattling of rhetoric and other people's standup material.

Quoting Bill Hicks and making a George Bush joke are now on the same intellectual rung of the socio-political joke ladder. Sure it's funny when he did it. But it's not funny when you do it. And it's not funny that your opinions on the subject are derived from a few pieces of standup from a dead comedian. If I understand his jokes and his ideals, he was against people being sheep and unintelligent/ill-informed. It's hardly a fitting tribute to a great comedian to have a fan following of morons wearing out his one liners.

That last paragraph felt great to say. I'd compare the absolute feeling of relief I got from writing that to the first sip of a tall beer after a long day's work, or the feeling of relaxation mid-way through a long, strong spliff. Oh baby!

Now, for the focus:

The question posed by the OP isn't valid. I would hope that most people agree that what we choose to with out own time on Earth and our own bodies is our own choice. If you feel like getting your hands on a plant that is harvested off this Earth, ingesting its smoke to temporarily alter your state of consciousness temporarily, then go right ahead. It's your decision, your body, your time. Morality doesn't enter the equation. Morality relates to the conscience, and if you feel guilty for ingesting something it speaks more about your upbringing and your personal (religous?) beliefs than what the law should read.

The objections raised thus far have included (but may not be limited to):

- Obtaining an illegal substance shows disrespect for the law.
    - Buying illegal substances funds criminality
    - Gateway drug bs

Counterarguments:

- Legalize it
    - Drug users should be left alone if they do no harm to anyone else
    - "It's not a gateway drug."

So, effectively, bog standard, cliché drugs discussion. What I'd love to see is someone on the opposing side (i.e. Drugs are bad side) with a 3 figure IQ making a decent case as opposed to doing the traditional thing and scratching the surface, hopping along onto the usual, worn out points and arriving neatly at the inevitable stalemate just in time for the personal abuse/lock. :)

On cannabis: I think most people I know at least know someone who either 1) grows it, 2) brings in some of it from abroad or 3) has it delivered off the internet. :)

Situation is grand as far as I'm concerned. I'm not funding scumbags, I'm not influencing anyone with my actions and I'm enjoying life. Any of your business? No. Immoral? No. That whole "immoral" thing is a bit Catholic anyway... I bet the OP feels guilty after masturbation or sex too. Loosen up ffs.

On other hallucinogenic drugs: Those interested in truly experiencing completely altered states of perception with personal goals such as exploring the nature of reality and other pyschonauticesque aims are usually able to find salvia, mushrooms, acid etc. through friends or online. These are the people who have a completely different perception and generally have more perspective (IMO) than those who don't have their "third eye squeegeed." (couldn't resist after that big long Bill Hick's paragraph)

Also, stupid people need to not talk about drugs. It gives the intelligent users a bad rep.

Sorry i fell asleep after the first line, too boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

I fell asleep after your first post dude.:pac:

togster wrote: »
    I fell asleep after your first post dude.:pac:

Did you dude? Oh my god dude that's far out dude. Hey fancy going surfing later dude? All of us dudes are going. We might smoke a few reefers and try and act american.

Check the last line of my post - it's all you need to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Did you dude? Oh my god dude that's far out dude. Hey fancy going surfing later dude? All of us dudes are going. We might smoke a few reefers and try and act american.

No thanks dude. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kovski

I used to really like doing e's. The only reason I stopped is that at 25 I feel way too old to be doing them now. There's nothing worse than an old raver. I miss the good times. Not the scaggin though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

ScumLord wrote: »
    Some people like one or two drinks but would stop short of getting drunk. Which I think is ludicrous if your taking a drug the main reason is to experience the altered state IMO.
    One or two drinks puts you into a relaxed state. In my opinion it's ridiculous that anybody drinks alcohol with the intention of getting drunk. You can get away with it when you're young but you generally have the excuse of being a moron but if you're not starting to cop on a bit by your mid-late twenties then you might have a problem.

I don't think it's morally wrong to use drugs. What I do think is that it's just plain ****ing stupid and a horrible waste of time. :)

Also "recreational drugs" is by far the most annoying term. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Davidius wrote: »
    I don't think it's morally wrong to use drugs. What I do think is that it's just plain ****ing stupid and a horrible waste of time. :)
    Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I don't do drugs but i'd have nothing against anyone who is.

Everyone has grown up being constantly told how bad drugs are and that they are illegal. If we all had of grown up in a society where drugs were legal and just as normal as alcohol would the same attitude towards them exist? Somehow i don't think it would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Why?
    Did you not see what happened to Batman when he tried to fight crime while somebody had drugged him!? He nearly killed everybody!

From this we can tell that drugs generally don't accomplish anything and may even kill millions of people one day. Batman could have eaisly have used this time to actually stop the criminals.

But there's rarely a case that drugs lead to anything productive. From my experiences with even some weed users is that they tend to procrastinate an awful lot more. My older brother also seems to have gone a tiny bit mental from drug use. I don't think it's a wise decision to take anything that has not been well documented about it either and just assume the lack of hard evidence for something means it can't cause you harm.

You could be playing hopscotch or playing chasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'd suggest that an internet forum isn't the right place for you. I'm not really sure where the right place is, my mind keeps suggesting 'retard farm' but I'm not sure if they exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

But there's rarely a case that drugs lead to anything productive.
    Emm.. Well I suppose having fun isn't really that productive, but we all like it, need it and experience it in different ways.
    From my experiences with even some weed users is that they tend to procrastinate an awful lot more.
    A lot of regular weed users are generally just stupid and lazy in the first place. Not necessarily anything to do with the drugs.
    I don't think it's a wise decision to take anything that has not been well documented about it either and just assume the lack of hard evidence for something means it can't cause you harm.
    Life is too short to be worrying about things like that. Anyway, a lot of drugs have been used recreationally for decades, centuries and even millennia without any serious consequences in moderate users, surely that counts for something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Sherifu wrote: »
    It's wrong to use illegal drugs.

who decides whats illigal?

Did you not see what happened to Batman when he tried to fight crime while somebody had drugged him!? He nearly killed everybody!

From this we can tell that drugs generally don't accomplish anything and may even kill millions of people one day. Batman could have eaisly have used this time to actually stop the criminals.
    Are you 12? Seriously that post is so offensively stupid it could be deemed a bannable offense. Wow.

... Wow... Are you really using Batman as a way of illustrating a point? Batman. The comic book character. In an over the top film... Where the effects of everything are exaggerated.
    But there's rarely a case that drugs lead to anything productive.
    "So throw out all your cds..." (I'm becoming one of the serial Bill Hicks quoters now, thanks a lot. :()
    My older brother also seems to have gone a tiny bit mental from drug use.
    Could run in the family? Could have nothing to do with drugs? Either way, purely anecdotal, deductive reasoning which in no way contributes to the debate.
    I don't think it's a wise decision to take anything that has not been well documented about it either and just assume the lack of hard evidence for something means it can't cause you harm.
    That's a mouthful [of crap].

Don't act like you stop and plough through stacks of papers on the legal drugs you take and have taken. Don't tell me you've read scientific studies on over the counter drugs such as aspirin, let's say, or where it's derived from or even googled what aspirin has been linked to by various studies. See? I, the stoned slacker who has trouble motivating himself, went and did it for you... ;)

There's enough scary headlines there to have aspirin removed from the shelves by the reckoning of the anti-drug squad posting on here, I'd imagine. There's a lack of "hard evidence" there, but don't assume that it can't cause you harm!!

Incidentally, there's plenty of resources available for the responsible, mature adult who interested in trying something.

Erowid.org is one which is packed with information on the chemistry and history of a drug, as well as hundreds of reports and guides on how to responsibly use utilise it.

For a responsible, intelligent person, that's just the beginning.

I'd like to think most of us who've experimented have read hundreds of pages on the pro's on con's of whatever substance they're trying, the cautionary tales, the positive reports, as well as the scientific studies performed as opposed to blindly going for it unprepared. Then again, there's a lot of idiots on either side of the fence... so..

Anyhow, back to the point about the "over the counter" drugs.. When confronted with the choice of actually going and finding out what you've been prescribed, you go ahead make an assumption.

That's fair enough, considering a properly trained MP with years experience is writing the prescription.. My point is that people who are incapable of forming their own opinion with coherently backed up reasons (not you) often blindly trust the figure of authority.

You trust the doctor (with good reason), you trust the men synthising what you put in your body (drug company guys), and you trust the scary headlines. The other person you trust is the motivational speaker who talked to your class about drugs when you were 14... You also trust your parents as they spent years hammering in the "drugs are bad" concept into your head, which incidentally is where the moral aspect of it comes from.

Without becoming a total, ranty, preacher hippie type, let me say this. We're all conditioned to think a certain way, and adhere to a certain code of conduct. If you do the research, make the effort to study real information and observe things properly as opposed to being dogmatic and you arrive at the same conclusion, then come and discuss it with me...

But if it's going to be anecdotes and generalisations and really basic (read: flawed) reasoning, and Batman (again, wtf??), then don't bother... Because you're not contributing anything meaningful.

p.s. This isn't an insult, but I take it you're about 17, yeah?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I found the Batman reference quite helpful in giving me a clearer comprehension of the issue, up to now I'd just been a lazy stoner on a downward spiral into demensia and posibly some manner of 'Farm', however when the poster made the connection between my life and taht of Batmans ordeal when drugged it all became clear.

Ah Haaaaaaaaaaave Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeen the LIGHT,

PRAISE JEBUS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭co_co

Unbelievable! So many people choose "No". :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

co_co wrote: »

why is it unbelievable? why it is wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

co_co wrote: »
    The internet is a young demographic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Sorta like an EP of Sliders where you could only have Fast Food if you were fit enough. if you werent fit enough and tried to buy fast food they'd shoot you in the face.

without the shooting in the face then yes

conanm wrote: »
    Are you 12? Seriously that post is so offensively stupid it could be deemed a bannable offense. Wow.

... Wow... Are you really using Batman as a way of illustrating a point? Batman. The comic book character. In an over the top film... Where the effects of everything are exaggerated.

batman is excellent and dosen't do drugs
    see what he achieved with his life
    and comics are based in fact btw

Kold wrote: »
    I'd suggest that an internet forum isn't the right place for you. I'm not really sure where the right place is, my mind keeps suggesting 'retard farm' but I'm not sure if they exist.

What else does your mind suggest to you? I'm curious coz my mind doesn't talk to me as a separate person. Are you schizophrenic? Oh and i'm not a retard but if you think retards belong on a farm then maybe you are a retard.

What else does your mind suggest to you? I'm curious coz my mind doesn't talk to me as a separate person. Are you schizophrenic? Oh and i'm not a retard but if you think retards belong on a farm then maybe you are a retard.

lads seriously is there a drought in yer areas is that where the tension is coming in?
    yer man that hates batman i reckon he could sort yas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

But there's rarely a case that drugs lead to anything productive. From my experiences with even some weed users is that they tend to procrastinate an awful lot more. My older brother also seems to have gone a tiny bit mental from drug use. I don't think it's a wise decision to take anything that has not been well documented about it either and just assume the lack of hard evidence for something means it can't cause you harm.

The films you watch, the books you read, the music you listen to.......chances are a very high percentage of them have all been influenced by drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Dragan wrote: »
    The films you watch, the books you read, the music you listen to.......chances are a very high percentage of them have all been influenced by drugs.

You could say that about many things, Dragan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

You could say that about many things, Dragan.

And that is exactly my point. To say that nothing productive has ever come from drug use is stupid. At points in history in certain places all kinds of things have been fine and legal to do and many great things were done under their influence.

I mean, how many of the "great" poets that are studied and worshipped now were on Absinthe and the like when writing their works?

Personally i believe in the right to choose and some personal responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dashticle

Dragan wrote: »

Sup Bill Hicks.

I think he was being ironic but gg on calling him out, you're right Batman is in fact a comic book character.

Advertisement