Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it wrong to use drugs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

slipss wrote: »
    ..........what about the arms trade?

i'd say the drug trade is more deadly and lucrative simply because it's a much bigger business. You don't see people all over dublin snorting uzis on a saturday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i'd say the drug trade is more deadly and lucrative simply because it's a much bigger business. You don't see people all over dublin snorting uzis on a saturday night

You're saying that the illegal drugs trade is worth more than the arms trade on a global scale?

It's barely worth a third of the global arms trade;

$1.2 trillion last year

http://www.globalissues.org/Geopolitics/ArmsTrade/Spending.asp#WorldMilitarySpending

Versus $400 billion estimated, last year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_drug_trade

...and the only reason the illegal drug trade is so lucrative is solely due to prohibition and the mark up that allows.

I haven't got figures comparing the deaths through drugs and deaths through war, but I'd hazard a guess that war and the weapons of war is the much higher total...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Wertz wrote: »
    You're saying that the illegal drugs trade is worth more than the arms trade on a global scale?

$1.2 trillion last year

http://www.globalissues.org/Geopolitics/ArmsTrade/Spending.asp#WorldMilitarySpending

fair enough. i suppose i was only considering terrorists and stuff buying them, rather than militaries

...and the only reason the illegal drug trade is so lucrative is solely due to prohibition and the mark up that allows.
    i completely agree. i support legalising them

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

$1.2 trillion last year
    I haven't got figures comparing the deaths through drugs and deaths through war, but I'd hazard a guess that war and the weapons of war is the much higher total...

Not disagreeing with you, but I'd well imagine both the drugs and arms trade are well intertwined.
    Warlords in corrupt wartorn countries do get the money from somewhere to buy weapons and I doubt if it's from selling package holidays in kabul!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Insanesomeone

Once you do no harm to any other person, I've no problem with drugs. I do find hash being illegal kind of strange though, especially when alcohol isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ha, yeah, it's ridiculous. legal party pills over here have just been made illegal, cos of one of the active ingredients. now teh pills are just being made with something stronger, and sold legally. if the government really cared, they'd get rid of alcohol or smokes or something, but god no, they'd lose revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Maybe slighlty off topic. But Albert Hoffman, inventor of LSD, has died today, of a heart attack, at the age of 102.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

:(

we need thousands more of his like

great man

Maybe slighlty off topic. But Albert Hoffman, inventor of LSD, has died today, of a heart attack, at the age of 102.

RIP..

Last time I took LSD was 2 years ago at a wedding in Mauritius. Wow, that was an experience.

As for being wrong, hell, no..

I think we Irish consume drugs like our drink and thats where the problem arrives..

I'm 36 this year and smoking # for 16 years, 10 of them on a daily basis, and I find cigarettes are the worst drug, I know there killing me.

At the end of the day, drugs only stimulate and entice those natural feelings within us, and when you achieve those naturally, be it by sex, meditation, self hypnosis or by whatever means, it beats drugs hands down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

RIP. :(

Great man.

• Advertisement

NoDrama wrote: »
    At the end of the day, drugs only stimulate and entice those natural feelings within us, and when you achieve those naturally, be it by sex, meditation, self hypnosis or by whatever means, it beats drugs hands down.
    I dunno, I think taking drugs is a natural part of the human experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Meh!

well i reckon Drugs should be illegal and i think theres loads of good reasons y theyr illegal

Hash is illegal because it can effect some peoples minds especially if they have a mental illness in their family and some people don't realise they do and it can bring out the illness.
    I've heard of a guy who is on medication for the rest of his life because he used to smoke hash.
    Alcohol isn't illegal because it is meant to be drank in moderation and believe it or not some people do go to the pub to just have a pint and a chat. yh it is abused and im not sayin i dont abuse it its just why its not illegal...
    and sorry but insanesomeone? i havnt met any1 who hasnt been smokin hash say it should be legal....no offence now i could be totally wrong...;)

JC 2K3? lsd? yh i know a guy who after taking some put a drill to his head because he thought there was a rat in it...needless 2 say he died....some experience

so nah i dont think they should b legal and tbh i dont think people should talk about things they know nothing about....

thats just my opinion now....sorry 2 put a damper on it :confused:

Meh! wrote: »
    i know a guy who after taking some put a drill to his head because he thought there was a rat in it
    No you don't.

...Troll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Sir Molle

well i reckon Drugs should be illegal and i think theres loads of good reasons y theyr illegal

Hash is illegal because it can effect some peoples minds especially if they have a mental illness in their family and some people don't realise they do and it can bring out the illness.
    I've heard of a guy who is on medication for the rest of his life because he used to smoke hash.
    Alcohol isn't illegal because it is meant to be drank in moderation and believe it or not some people do go to the pub to just have a pint and a chat. yh it is abused and im not sayin i dont abuse it its just why its not illegal...
    and sorry but insanesomeone? i havnt met any1 who hasnt been smokin hash say it should be legal....no offence now i could be totally wrong...;)

JC 2K3? lsd? yh i know a guy who after taking some put a drill to his head because he thought there was a rat in it...needless 2 say he died....some experience

so nah i dont think they should b legal and tbh i dont think people should talk about things they know nothing about....

I signed up just to tell you how ironic it is that you're against drugs, when you were probably on drugs writing that post judging by your spelling and grammar.

Jesus Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

(1)Hash is illegal because it can effect some peoples minds especially if they have a mental illness in their family and some people don't realise they do and it can bring out the illness.
    (2)Alcohol isn't illegal because it is meant to be drank in moderation and believe it or not (3)some people do go to the pub to just have a pint and a chat. yh it is abused and im not sayin i dont abuse it its just why its not illegal...
    and sorry but insanesomeone? (4)i havnt met any1 who hasnt been smokin hash say it should be legal....no offence now i could be totally wrong...;)

(5)so nah i dont think they should b legal and tbh i dont think people should talk about things they know nothing about....

Thats quite a first post....

(1) Are you suggesting alcohol can't effect some peoples minds negatively? I'm fairly sure every psychiatrist and doctor in the world will disagree with you there buddy.

(2) All psychoactive drugs are meant to be used in moderation. Most people that smoke hash or take LSD or Ecstacy do use them in moderation, just like with alcohol. And just like with alcohol some people will go overboard on them. There are reasonable distinctions that can be made between alcohol and hash as to why one is legal and the other is not, but that is not one of them, not at all.

(3) Plenty of people smoke a joint on a friday night and don't touch hash the rest of the time. Plenty of people smoke hash about once every 3 or 4 months , your barking up the wrong tree there again my friend.

(4) Google "Law enforcement against prohibition", I'm sure some of them smoke hash but all of them couldn't possibly, what with having to take drug tests and all. Theres plenty of others, google is your friend if you really want to get an idea of how many. But besides that of course lots of people that don't smoke hash are not going to go around telling everyone it should be legal, just like lots of people that don't drive aren't going to be going around telling everyone the advantages of the new model ford focus.

(5) not sure who or what that was aimed at exactly......care to elaborate??

(6) ehhhhh.....ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'll have whatever Meh! is on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Insanesomeone

You assume incorrectly, I neither drink alcohol nor smoke anything, be it tobacco hash or crack cocaine. I've friends who participate in 'soft' drugs, but most of my closer friends are similar to me in that they neither drink nor smoke.

So here's my experience. I've seen one of my life-long friends in a coma for three days - attacked by a group of drunken idiots. He had his skull fractured, and six teeth knocked out, as well as a broken lower jaw, fractures ribs, and fractured arm. His girlfriend didn't get away much better and now has permanent scaring to what was once a models face.
    I could go on, but everyone has a similar story - everyone who has any kind of life experience has seen the violent, devastating effects that alcohol has, and does cause.

And as regards your views on hash, it seems your spouting off the same old story told to every kid in school today i.e drugs are bad - which i may add, are not facts but hypotheses as there has never been lengthy and proper examination into the effects of said drugs. Your entitled to your opinion, but at least form it yourself! My opinion is as an individual, your entitled to do to your body as you wish, provided you harm no other. At the end of the day I've yet to hear of a youth being jumped by a 'stoned' mob, or a child being run over by a driver who was intoxicated by hash. Could I say the same about alcohol? No. And either could you.

In response to your story about the guy who's now on medication after using what ounds like excessive amounts of marijuana, I've heard similar tales. Have you ever heard of an alcohoic? They're out there, and are much more common, and probably worse off (considering the possibilities of violence, be it against family members or friends) than their marijuana smoking counter-parts.

Marijuana is taboo and always will be, I hope I've expressed myself to you clearly, and that you now might see the alternate side to an issue which most definitely has two sides. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

DaveMcG wrote: »
    I'll have whatever Meh! is on

Im gonna guess speed. Meh! get yourself together son your ruining your life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

meh! wrote:
    and tbh i dont think people should talk about things they know nothing about....

I agree 100%.
    So why did you post?

Yes I do actually know someone who died from LSD but thanks for assuming I'm lying just because you don't agree with my opinions.

Yes I have heard of alcoholics and I'm sorry about your friends. In fact my neighbour was stabbed two days ago for insulting someone when he was drunk. He was an alcoholic. No, I'm not suggesting that alcohol does not effect some peoples minds but I am suggesting that no one will die of alcohol the first time they have a drink. I think someone mentioned that E can be taken in moderation? Well that is my reply to that.

I'm not ''on'' anything and I don't care to be attacked by people for stating my opinions.

And if it bothers people that much I will delete it. It is nice to know how open-minded people are though.

To the guy who logged on to comment on my lack of grammer.....oh please, get a life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Yes I do actually know someone who died from LSD but thanks for assuming I'm lying just because you don't agree with my opinions.

Yes I have heard of alcoholics and I'm sorry about your friends. In fact my neighbour was stabbed two days ago for insulting someone when he was drunk. He was an alcoholic. No, I'm not suggesting that alcohol does not effect some peoples minds but I am suggesting that no one will die of alcohol the first time they have a drink. I think someone mentioned that E can be taken in moderation? Well that is my reply to that.

I'm not ''on'' anything and I don't care to be attacked by people for stating my opinions.

And if it bothers people that much I will delete it. It is nice to know how open-minded people are though.

To the guy who logged on to comment on my lack of grammer.....oh please, get a life.

Unfortunately when you drag up a half dead thread with a badly formulated/stated post like that one, people are going to think you're a bit daft. You might not be but I don't think anyone who has the utmost clue in the area will argue, especially in this country, that alcohol is far more damaging to society than marajuana. You can't just switch between green and MDMA when defending alcohol. As for the dying the first time you drop, I remember reading a stat about 1 in 50,000 mortality dependent on the individual's physiology. I may be wrong as I can't remember where I got that. I wonder what the stat is for alcohol related death?

Firstly, if someone died by drilling a hole in their head whilst on LSD, it would be all over the news.

However, the reason it's obvious that you're lying is much simpler. If your friend did indeed die by drilling a hole in his head on LSD, there is no way you would know that your "friend" did this because he thought there was a rat in his skull.

There's also the fact that someone on LSD thinking there was a rat in their skull/insects under their skin etc. and mutilating their bodies as a result is a commonly known urban myth and has probably never happened.

And this bs story about your "friend" is enough to convince me that you are a troll, and I'd encourage anyone else not to bother replying.

Fine you don't have to believe me I don't care. But I think you are really pathetic for thinking that someone would be as sick as to lie about something like that.

You know absolutely nothing about me so please don't judge me on my character, if you don't mind.

Why would I not know about him having a rat in his head? If he was screaming about it for a whole class to hear? And actually I wasn't even in that class when it happened a few years ago but i trust my friends and I do not think they would lie about that....And no it didn't happen lately.

The only reason I joined this blog was to reply to that topic. And I have done that. I certainly did not come here to start an arguement and I am amazed that that is what this has turned into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Sir Molle

Fine you don't have to believe me I don't care. But I think you are really pathetic for thinking that someone would be as sick as to lie about something like that.

You know absolutely nothing about me so please don't judge me on my character, if you don't mind.
    It's not whether or not people believe you, rather the fact that it was stupid and pointless to bring it up because people do stupid shit on all types of drugs, both legal and illegal.

Nobody is judging your character. We're judging your posts, and they're terrible.
    Why would I not know about him having a rat in his head? If he was screaming about it for a whole class to hear? And actually I wasn't even in that class when it happened a few years ago but i trust my friends and I do not think they would lie about that....And no it didn't happen lately.
    See above, nobody cares.
    The only reason I joined this blog was to reply to that topic. And I have done that. I certainly did not come here to start an arguement and I am amazed that that is what this has turned into.
    You didn't come to this discussion board to engage in discussion? What did you come here for?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

I'm a newbie and I'm astounded that there's no drug discussion forum on boards, albeit strict modding would be needed but with such an obvious support basis(78% of voters at my count). There should be somewhere to take these discussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

:(

we need thousands more of his like

great man
    JC 2K3 wrote: »
    RIP. :(

Great man.
    It's hardly sad - he was 102 :)
    And he didn't invent LSD for recreational purposes...

No text-speak please, it's in breach of the After Hours charter. Thanks.
    I am suggesting that no one will die of alcohol the first time they have a drink. I think someone mentioned that E can be taken in moderation? Well that is my reply to that.
    The only time I've ever heard of someone dying from E the first time they took it is if they were stupid enough to take several pills. The total number of such incidents that I've heard of is... one.
    The Leah Betts case is famous. She died from drinking excess water.
    You're right. People, don't get too personal here.
    It is nice to know how open-minded people are though.
    I think people are being very open-minded here. With respect, I think you're the one who's being close-minded. Your view on drugs seems to be shaped by red-top newspapers and the Daily Mail.
    You can't post a comment as provocative as yours (whether intended to be provocative or not) and not expect people to debate with you. And ditto a comment like "i dont think people should talk about things they know nothing about".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

BJC wrote: »
    I'm a newbie and I'm astounded that there's no drug discussion forum on boards, albeit strict modding would be needed but with such an obvious support basis(78% of voters at my count). There should be somewhere to take these discussions.

Join the struggle against Boards oppression

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055202432

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Ok everyone take a deep breath here. I think people are being a little harsh on Meh who is giving his/her experience and opinion. No one should belittle him/her on their grammar or spelling.

Firstly, if someone died by drilling a hole in their head whilst on LSD, it would be all over the news.

Not necessarily so. If the person took their own life in the family home and were found by the family then news getting out to the media can be slim.
    There's also the fact that someone on LSD thinking there was a rat in their skull/insects under their skin etc. and mutilating their bodies as a result is a commonly known urban myth and has probably never happened.

Don't know about LSD but there was a case I believe in around the Bray area where a young man took a snow ball ( I think ) and thought there was rats in his head. He went beserk and managed to pull one of his eyes out the socket. It took 7 guards to restrain him.

My 2 cents on the drugs thing. I don't agree with taking drugs basically 'cos it generates revenue for drug gangs and unless you have been hiding for the past 10 years you can clearly see the effects of recreational drug use. There is a case for medicinal use but for all recreational use I don't see why someone should do it.
    In my job I have seen the effects of drugs on good people. Some people are addicted and at times they can act and appear inhuman. Most drugs can have a devastating effect not only on the human but those around them and even their own family.
    When I hear someone say 'drugs are not bad', I know that person has not seen first hand what drugs can truely do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

TheNog wrote: »
    but for all recreational use I don't see why someone should do it.
    One very simple answer: they enjoy it.
    In my job I have seen the effects of drugs on good people. Some people are addicted and at times they can act and appear inhuman. Most drugs can have a devastating effect not only on the human but those around them and even their own family.
    Not among the countless people I know who take/have taken drugs. I can think of one guy who's messed up all right - he takes cocaine before going to bed, he's likely to have a problem. Most people don't do stuff like that with drugs. One other guy is a nutcase too but according to his family he was messed up before he ever went near drugs. Then I know of a bunch of people who hang around with each other and are totally screwed up - the reason being, they've been taking drugs in massive doses (not just the odd E of a Saturday night) for the past ten years or thereabouts. They're a bunch of idiots - most people aren't.
    When I hear someone say 'drugs are not bad', I know that person has not seen first hand what drugs can truely do.
    It depends on the amount consumed and the type. Yes, heroin and crack, I would certainly grant you, but ecstacy/MDMA and cocaine when used in moderation are highly, highly unlikely to lead to serious repercussions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I found a cigarette bud in my hotel room this evening.. it hadn't been smoked... to me it would suggest someone was rolling a joint in my room while I was out...

Shout I report this to the hotel management or let the stoners go free?

Advertisement