Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenmare

Options
  • 22-04-2008 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Would like to hear your views on kenmare town...How it has changed through the years...Whether the changes have been for the better or not? :)

I grew up visiting the town every week and am currently researching the towns' history but my memory from my childhood would be biased and I would like impartial views and opinions please from your visits there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

What would be your honest opinion and /or description of the town as it is today :confused:

** bump **

Thought I would re-surface this thread considering the week-end that's in it with The Venue nightclub (part of the old Riversdale Hotel) re-opening again this week-end.

Anyone planning on going to re-live some memories?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 keep_it_real

Far to old for boogying there now that I'm over 21:D
    Glad it's re-opening though - thought the whole hotel was boarded & bricked up:confused:

anyone know who owns or is running the place now? yeah, the place is still boarded up, even the frontdoot to the supposed nightclub, so i dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

We went down there on Wednesday (just because ESB had our power off for the day) and found it very quiet, some of the shops were still clearing up after floods last winter, and there's a big water/sewerage scheme in progress which has the streets up around your ears. But it's always a nice place to visit, nice bars, nice restaurants. You won't waste a day there - go back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Kenmare is currently in total chaos for the last two months as the Council are digging up all the streets and piping in water from Kilgarvan so the road to Cork is also in a not too good state. That nightclub never opened as planned as I had planned to go out with friends there recently and much to my annoyance it was not opening when I got down to Kenmare.

Apparently sometime in April is the date now as they had firecode compliance issues. That Riversdale place is stupid as it is located out of the town and you must get a bus out from the square and it is basically only a teenbobbers place and the last time I was there years ago there was kids as young as 14 in there and getting served too:eek: We ended up going to Killarney instead when a mate who was on medication went as the designated driver which was handy.:)

I went to Kenmare myself last week and the town was gridlock. With all the tours passing through the town, they was no safe place for them to pull up and park while the tourists walked about shopping. The town is loosing revenue while the works are going-on and man was it annoying for the locals also with the traffic and noise and dirt right in the town-centre.

As for the Riverside - I personally think they should keep it closed. When I think of what I was told before of the goings-on in there when it was last opened, I don't see anything good from its' opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 keep_it_real

Riversdale nite club is fine - imagine if you were in your late teens/early 20s you would be loving it!:D
    And for the rest of us wise old 30 somethings :rolleyes: it's just a bit of a laugh and something to talk about. Better to have a late venue rather than everywhere closing early and nowhere to go. It's only a 8-10 minute walk from the Square so no real need for a bus for that kind of a trip I think.
    Didn't realise the water works digging up Henry St were still on-going, not been around there since Feb, wasn't the plan to finsh them before the tourist season started up again:confused:...famous last words?

Advertisement