Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Breeze 3mb Dublin

Options
  • 22-04-2008 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hey

I've just ordered 3mb breeze from Irish broadband and had a few questions.

Is there any throttling going on with torrents/p2p?

Is it possible to play FPS games online (i.e. is there a large amount of latency with the connection?)

They say no cap... so anyone know what the cap is? :)

Thanks

ChRoMe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Throttleing P2P? Not as far as Im aware, I know people have had issues with torrenting and other such here, but I have never had an issue with this on both home and work IBB connection.

Gaming: Wireless isnt the best for gaming as latency can be an issue, it depends on what service you get from them, how stable your connection is etc.

No CAP: They say no cap so I suppose they cant have a cap although Im sure there is an acceptable usage policy like all other ISPs. That being said Ive never heard anyone here get a letter / email / call about going over acceptable usage

Hopes connection works well for u

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Throttleing P2P? Not as far as Im aware, I know people have had issues with torrenting and other such here, but I have never had an issue with this on both home and work IBB connection.

Gaming: Wireless isnt the best for gaming as latency can be an issue, it depends on what service you get from them, how stable your connection is etc.

No CAP: They say no cap so I suppose they cant have a cap although Im sure there is an acceptable usage policy like all other ISPs. That being said Ive never heard anyone here get a letter / email / call about going over acceptable usage

Hopes connection works well for u

Right there was some throttling but i switch my p2p port to 80 all is well and good, and as for latency i get around 20-30ms ping for online gaming... i download so much you wouldnt believe never heard anything from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

We had good speeds for a while with them then it went to crap, first for torrents then for everything else, lol.

Support didn't solve the problem so I'm looking to switch to NTL now for the faster speeds. When they were good, it was really good, always got the full speed and low pings.

Could play on XBox Live with no problems about 90% of the time, the occasional problem on Sunday evenings, like once every 5 months or so. 4 guys in the house all using it some for work with no problems. I constantly stream tv shows and download large files of 700MB-4GB along with some of the other guys one who consantly has torrents going and never heard from them.

Also me downloading demo's on Xbox Live and watching video's on gametrailers etc...

I'd still recommend them if you can get reviews from other people that have them in your area that say they are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

IBB Breeze is perfectly fine for gaming, ping times are very low and on par if not better than landline based broadband from what I've experienced, at least on the 5+ghz units anyway (5.8ghz is it?). Dunno what the other units they use are like but I guess you've got a 5+ghz unit (have a look at the sticker on the back of the antenna if you can to find out).

Example, ping times to unreal.ie are typical 6ms
    World of Warcraft EU typical 30ms low end and maybe a max of 90ms on heavy populated servers, typicaly though an average of maybe 40ms from my own experience on Draenor EU which is a very high populated server.

I have in the past downloaded well over 100gb for a couple of months running with no problems (all legal mind).

I don't use torrents or any p2p (other than for WOW updates from blizzard who use bittorrent) but I have in the past and although IBB were not throttling traffic, other ISPs where, which in turn effected people on IBB. Anyway, couldn't care less. Go get yourself on Usenet and use that instead.

Some online games though just did not work fine on IBB, particularly those from SOE (Sony) like SWG, Planetside etc., and I could only put this down to certain ports being throttled that SOE used for their games. When I'd switch on the Swedish VPN or US VPN, the games would run fine, so something somewhere along the line with IBB was buggering up those games.

FPS games though like Unreal, Quake, CS etc., all seemed to work great, no problems at all and ping times were very low.

PS3, Wii and Xbox live gaming also all perfectly fine.

I reckon though if you were taking the complete piss with downloading hundreds of GB's a month, they would take some sort of action against you.

For what I use it for and I am a heavy enough user, without using any p2p, it's all been working great for a good few years now.

I would love faster download speeds though but I'm unsure they could provide this without changing hardware.

Oh and I stream live HD and normal TV content from ABC, Fox, NBC and CBS all perfectly fine over a US based VPN, don't even have to bother downloading the episodes of my favorite TV programmes - just watch them online. Now I just need a legit VPN for the UK so I can use the BBC iPlayer :o)

Given IBB's relationship with moviestar.ie and moviestar's move into online distribution of films etc., I'm wondering if IBB will take this fully on-board and use it as an opportunity to upgrade speeds !!! Here's hoping...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Oh I just thought I'd add that I use steam over IBB too with no problems in case you Pc game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement