Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hotmail to stop working in Outlook... on 30/06/08

• 22-04-2008 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭

This came in the email there today. Pity, as I liked having Outlook handle my hotmail, and my other accounts... ah well, I'll probably move to Thunderbird, or something, who'll no doubt just integrate this new DeltaSynch into it.

Dear Microsoft Outlook Express customer,
    Thank you for using Microsoft® Outlook® Express. Our information indicates that you use Outlook Express to access a Windows Live™ Hotmail® e-mail account via a protocol called DAV (Distributed Authoring and Versioning protocol). DAV, like POP3 or IMAP, is the way that a mail client communicates with a web-based mail server.
    As a valued customer, we want to provide advanced notice that as of June 30, 2008, Microsoft is disabling the DAV protocol and you will no longer be able to access your Hotmail Inbox via Outlook Express. As an alternative, we recommend that you download Windows Live Mail, a free desktop e-mail client that has the familiarity of Outlook Express and much more. This next generation of free e-mail software will allow you to easily manage multiple e-mail accounts—including Windows Live Hotmail, plus other e-mail accounts that support POP3/IMAP. Better yet, Windows Live Mail integrates well with other Windows Live services, and downloads in minutes. After you provide your user name and password, you will automatically be linked to your Hotmail account, providing continued access to your email and contacts.
    We encourage you to download Windows Live Mail at http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview.
    And, to make your transition smoother, we've provided answers to frequently asked questions below.
    Again, thank you for your use of Outlook Express and we are confident that you'll be just as delighted with the new Windows Live Mail.
    Your Windows Live Mail team
    Frequently asked questions:

Why are we disabling DAV?
    DAV is a legacy protocol that is not well suited for client access to large inboxes. Over time, as we've provided more e-mail storage to our users—and now offer 5GB inboxes for free—a more efficient access protocol is needed.

What are we replacing DAV with?
    We have developed a new, much more efficient protocol called DeltaSynch that is far superior to DAV especially for large e-mail inboxes. It enables email clients to only download changes since the last time the client polled the email server for changes. This is much more efficient and high performing than having to download all the headers in every folder as is the case with DAV.

Is DeltaSynch compatible with Outlook Express?
    The new protocol unfortunately is NOT supported by Outlook Express and support would require too many changes to the Outlook Express software.
    Is there a different or new mail client I can try that uses DeltaSynch?
    Microsoft is providing Windows Live Mail, a free e-mail client that has the familiarity of Outlook Express and much more. This free, next generation email client enables users to easily manage multiple e-mail accounts including Windows Live Hotmail and other e-mail accounts that support POP3/IMAP. Windows Live Mail also integrates well with other Windows Live services, is optimized to work with Windows Live Hotmail, and offers:
    • Offline mail
    • Windows Live Hotmail account aggregation for those users with multiple Hotmail accounts
    • Account aggregation for POP and IMAP mail accounts
    • Rich photo-sharing capabilities
    • Advanced search via integration with Desktop Search
    • Safety tools (Anti-Virus scanning, anti-phishing, anti-spam features across aggregated accounts for customers who do not have an Anti-Virus product)
    • Integration with Windows Live services including Windows Live Spaces
    • RSS (Real Simple Syndication) feed aggregation
    • Ability to send SMS (short message service) text to a mobile phone from Windows Live Mail
    Where can I download the new Windows Live Mail client?
    You can download the new client at http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview.
    Microsoft respects your privacy. To learn more, please read our online Privacy Statement.
    Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052

Why not to Microsofts junk? Can't see it supporting all my other email accounts, tbh :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

F**king gay piece of micosoft sh|te doesn't like 64bit XP :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Windows Live Mail is better than Outlook Express. But I prefer Thunderbird over both of them. Windows Live Mail worked fine on Vista x64 too. I'm surprised anyone's using XP x64.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way,

You get what you pay for :)

What's the story on POP3 usage with hotmail ?

Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way,

You get what you pay for :)

What's the story on POP3 usage with hotmail ?
    It's still working... yea Outlook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

just add your hotmail account to your gmail account, gmail domination ftw!

• Advertisement

Seems Hotmail no longer works with Outlook for the past week or so :(

Thunderbird gives me problems connecting to Hotmail (even when using the webmail extension), so I say "may as well install this new Windows Live Mail thing". But MS, or course, has to be f**king awkward. Doesn't support 64bit XP. Bloody hell :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

the_syco wrote: »
    Seems Hotmail no longer works with Outlook for the past week or so :(

Thunderbird gives me problems connecting to Hotmail (even when using the webmail extension), so I say "may as well install this new Windows Live Mail thing". But MS, or course, has to be f**king awkward. Doesn't support 64bit XP. Bloody hell :mad:

Yeah Windows Live apparently doesn't play with Server 2003, which is what XP 64 really is.

Would appear that this lad has managed to sort out the standalone installer for Live Mail and its dependencies...scroll down to Windows Live Mail http://messengergeek.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E3785B1281BBDA1!1271.entry

Alternatively you could pay 30 bucks for pop3 access for Hotmail, or just wait a few months.

Reread the release, and noticed it didn't mention Outlook. Looked it up, and it seems Outlook 2003 is supported, once you download an update called "Outlook Connector". Have a unused copy of Office 2003 (PC it was on has been migrated to the newest Office), so installed Outlook 2003 from that.

Yea, it works.:cool: Well, kind of. Can't seem to create rules, but meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

the_syco wrote: »
    Yea, it works.:cool: Well, kind of. Can't seem to create rules, but meh.

Came across that problem once before. If I recall correctly I think Outlook has to be running off an exchange account for you to be able to add rules :( The rules being stored of the server I'd assume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

cance wrote: »
    just add your hotmail account to your gmail account, gmail domination ftw!

+1
    as soon as i saw a money sign of what ever currency on the hotmail account i switched. i know gmail has a premium account but i wont need that just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Bubba HoTep

its free and it can retrieve mail from gmail accounts too, thunderbird doesnt work for hotmail, althought there is a hack floating about, ive tried it and its hit and miss

live mail is your best bet, one of the VERY few microsoft apps that is actually worthwhile

Advertisement