Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Eco-Wool" Insulation

Options
  • 22-04-2008 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭

I picked up 7 rolls of this eco-wool insulation over the weekend.
    It was on special in B&Q. All rolled insulation is half price. Great, I thought.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=5060078161152&selected=products&x=35&y=12

Was up in the attic yesterday trying to use it.

Basically it's recycled 'bottles', maybe PET or even LDPE, I can't tell.
    Anyway, the 200mm product contains two 100mm rolls which makes it easy to customise the installation to 300mm for example.

Anyway, the stuff isn't like rock-wool in any way.
    You can't tear it, you can't cut it with a saw or with a scissors. It comes in 38cm rolls and most of my joists have 22-26cm between them, so it doesn't fit properly, and can't easily be trimmed.

It's only good for laying on top of existing insulation where there aren't any perforations.

According to the information on the web, it has a 'fire test' cert BS-5803-4, but I don't get how it has this. Anyhow, that's not my job to determine...

So, my feedback would be - product is ideal for situations where long runs over existing insulation are present, for example, crossing the joists where rock-wool is already present to joist level.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Katzi

Interesting feedback. I looked into this myself months ago (it was on half-price then as well!!). Because of the name 'eco-wool' I thought it was like thermo-fleece. But actually the name is completely misleading - it has never seen a sheep.

Instead decided to use thermo-hemp (which is expensive but excellent as it suits our damp climate wonderfully). It is about three times the cost of normal insulation but as I only intend to insulate once - I decided to use the best product available.

Good that you have brough the 'eco-wool's' shortcomings to attention.

Advertisement