Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DJ salaries and nixers

• 20-04-2008 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

I thought a station like 2fm would not allow thier djs work nixers unless approved by the boss. Its not as if they're not getting paid enough. I thought that was policy in most of the top stations.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Slicklink

bbability wrote: »
    I thought a station like 2fm would not allow thier djs work nixers unless approved by the boss. Its not as if they're not getting paid enough. I thought that was policy in most of the top stations.

What planet are you living on ? You may be surprised to know that most radio jocks gig at night time. And always have (what kind of station could enforce rules about what you do in your spare time!!!). Its not that WELL paid!

To be honest this thread has went far enough already. The usual begrudgery (there'll never be a shortage of them) will always be there (and usually from people who havent one ounce of talent or one minute of experience in the field in which they are so critical) but these ridiculously loaded undertones of sinister going ons is a new low and are not on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Slicklink wrote: »
    What planet are you living on ? You may be surprised to know that most radio jocks gig at night time. And always have (what kind of station could enforce rules about what you do in your spare time!!!).
    Are they allowed to promote them on their own shows? Free advertising if you will?
    Its not that WELL paid!

Have you any examples of the salaries that DJs are paid?

Why would they want to promote their gigs on air ????????

Its nothing to do with advertising the gigs! The majority of these gigs are through agencies! Whether a jock wants to say where they are playing really is up to them (not that it should appeal to do this unless you are a dance DJ like Gibsy for example!). The point is that most radio dj's gig to supplement their income.

Have you an example of what people in your field are paid ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

not on BBC anyway. I was listening to RAdio 1 yesterday and Annie Mac mentioned she'd done a gig in a specific venue (cant remember it) in Bath, ohh, fifty million times? Might have been a BBC gig of course.

Have you an example of what people in your field are paid ?
    Sure, in my field the range can be from anywhere from xxx to yyy

Are you seriously telling me that Nikki Hayes et al are on starvation wages? I think not.

• Advertisement

You dont work in radio so then Mr Bond!

Pay in radio in general is not what it was. For example the amount of temp staff can be high. A senior radio jock would not be on more than €100k (and in limited circumstances!!!!!).

Most daytime jocks would fit in the €40-€70k bracket infact!

Not everyone is getting Gerry Ryan money or anything near it!!!!!

Going back a few years somebody mentioned what the youth station were paying. I dont know what it is now, but it was low back then.

Maybe Andy will tell us how much they are paying down in 98. :)

Hardly starvation wages tbh. I wouldn't see the need to do nixers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭inspiron6000

Dont no how accurate it is but on Nikki's MySpace page she has income as €100,000 to €150,000. A DJ on a national broadcaster has to be earning good money, massive listener numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bum Boy

Is fm104 a local station?????

Back on topic Nikki is doing fine.

Thought you worked there once ! Of course it's a local station it only covers Dublin.......

I wonder will Niki be emotionally scared now...?

A for income, you'd want to be on €100,000 but I know her rival isn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Yes bum boy i made a mistake in my post re local/community and i did work there. Great name and first post welcome to boards:p

As for nikki's emotional state who can tell.I don't know how much she is on I have never asked. Radio salaries in general are low enough unless you are in the top bracket. I believe some of the stations have increased the pay to part time staff over the last two/three years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

What planet are you living on ? You may be surprised to know that most radio jocks gig at night time. And always have (what kind of station could enforce rules about what you do in your spare time!!!). Its not that WELL paid![/B]

Firstly Planet Earth the last time I checked!:D

Secondly I'm not talking about the local radio jock or the fella/girl driving the jeep around Dublin all day for peanuts but more so a DJ/presenter who has a national audience both on TV and Radio. Don't forget whether your on air or off air and even in your "spare time" as you put it you are representing your station or company. I'm sure that's in the contract somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

It's a fact that plenty of DJ's - from both local and national radio - do gigs outside of work for pubs and clubs. It's not unusual at all and they'd hardly all do it if their contracts specified they couldn't. I could name a few that do it from time to time, but that would be spinning it off topic a bit...

As regards Nikki Hayes, according to 2FM's web site, Jenny Greene is sitting in for her all this week (April 21st to 25th), from 12 until 2 on the All Request Lunch. It says this on both Jenny and Nikki's pages. Also, John Clarke (who is 2FM 'Controller' - so he should know!) apparently said in his own show at the weekend that Nikki will be back next week.

All this would imply to me that Nikki is just on a break (because of the incident, which she is still apparently recovering from) and has not, as the rumour mill now says, been let go.

Firstly Planet Earth the last time I checked!:D

Secondly I'm not talking about the local radio jock or the fella/girl driving the jeep around Dublin all day for peanuts but more so a DJ/presenter who has a national audience both on TV and Radio. Don't forget whether your on air or off air and even in your "spare time" as you put it you are representing your station or company. I'm sure that's in the contract somewhere.

Are you reading one word that is not your own in this thread ????

What fella/girl driving the jeep around ? What has that got to do with Djing ? They are in no way connected. I gave you the answers in my reply - and yes it was DJ's in Dublin. Read it again if you didnt get it the first time.

You do not represent your company in your spare time.

Once again, What planet are you living on ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Not everyone is getting Gerry Ryan money or anything near it!!!!!

FFS. Hardly a struggle. How many people do you know that get paid that money, now how many people do you know that get paid that money for working 2-3 hours a day 5 days a week :confused:

Handy number end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Ah Sizzler, I see that you're under the mis-conception that doing a daily 2-3 hour radio show means you only WORK for 2-3 hours a day - which is total crap by the way.

Presenters don't just show up 5 minutes before their show, go on air, pick some songs at random talk a bit and then go away when it's over. There's a lot more to putting together a radio programme than that - especially a daily one.

Bard wrote: »
    Ah Sizzler, I see that you're under the mis-conception that doing a daily 2-3 hour radio show means you only WORK for 2-3 hours a day - which is total crap by the way.

Presenters don't just show up 5 minutes before their show, go on air, pick some songs at random talk a bit and then go away when it's over. There's a lot more to putting together a radio programme than that - especially a daily one.

Their core MO is to present a show, which is 2-3 hrs a day for most people. The likes of Matt Cooper would certainly have to invest serious hours before going live given the nature of the show but a bog standard jock would not have to invest 40 hours a week, a lá the regular joe soap worker who has to put in a decent shift to get that sort of salary.

Sizzler wrote: »
    FFS. Hardly a struggle. How many people do you know that get paid that money, now how many people do you know that get paid that money for working 2-3 hours a day 5 days a week :confused:

Handy number end of.

Sizzler Do you honestly believe that radio is a walk in gig ? 2-3 hours gig a day with no prep ! hello ???? No one would get away with that!

Handy Number ? You should take it up, you must be sh*t hot.

How many people do you know that have the talent and natural ability to do it ?

Sure theres nothing to it...... But doing it, well thats another thing.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

QUOTE]

Slick,

You are having a laugh if you think that most 'daytime' jocks are on this kind of money! Radio is one of the tightest industries to be in. The 'average' for a day time presenter on any station outside of Dublin is about 24-28k! Thats a far more releastic figure. These days not only do presnters do thier shows, but would also double job in the station and may also do a sixth gig on the weekend!

Mr Bond,

These are starvation wages. This is why you will find MOST presenters do some type of gig on the weekends to make a decent living! As for the 2fm boys and girls, yes they will gig as well. All the country clubs love having the '2fm jock' in their club on a Saturday night. €1k will get you one of these people for an hour and half!

Talking about wages and who earns what etc and the Gerry Ryans of this country is a far cry from what the brekkie guy in local station fm gets, who incidentally does all his own research, maybe also works in production and gets abused at the OBs!

Yeah lets start a new thread about how much money people in radio dont earn and those who dont work in the business think that its about doing 2-3 hours a day pushing buttons and talking ****e!

Id love to able to do a 'show n go' !

Personally I would have said circa 50k for the nationals.

I do agree that 24-28k for the regionals is starvation wages. In that respect I would have no problem with them nixering at the weekends. Also I am well aware that they have to do their own production, preparation, research etc.

• Advertisement

You must have a laid back boss if thats the case so lucky you! Nixer away!!!

If you were the boss of a company and one of your workers is doing a nixer outside the fulltime job and it starts to interfere with their work in any way shape or form you wouldn't pull them up over it???? Bloody sure you would if it was costing you money.
    Don't forget if you are a regular jock on a radio station, your doing a couple of gigs a week and all of a sudden a punter decides to have a go at you at your gig...who's name and possibly picture will end up in the paper? Not the Punters. Not only your name but it will go something "97fms Joe Bloggs.. Just look at the Evening Hearld last week as an example.

Anyway back to Nikki is the rumour facticious (as I believe it is) or what? It would be unlike RTE to let this run for so long if it was true....

Slick,

You are having a laugh if you think that most 'daytime' jocks are on this kind of money! Radio is one of the tightest industries to be in. The 'average' for a day time presenter on any station outside of Dublin is about 24-28k! Thats a far more releastic figure. These days not only do presnters do their shows, but would also double job in the station and may also do a sixth gig on the weekend!

Greetings Preset! Long time...etc

What I was pointing out was the salary ranges for daytime jocks. Perhaps I should have revised that min down to €30k but I know that the majority of the established in Dublin would be in the mid of that range. I wasnt talking about Spin or provincial stations. Certainly there are people in Q, 98 and 104 that mainly fit into that bracket. Another guide is the financial attachments that go with licence appplications. Blockers 4fm likely pay scales are up on the BCI's website.

I agree Ronan, it is going off topic. And isnt that a good thing especially the way this thread had gone already.

You must have a laid back boss if thats the case so lucky you! Nixer away!!!

If you were the boss of a company and one of your workers is doing a nixer outside the fulltime job and it starts to interfere with their work in any way shape or form you wouldn't pull them up over it???? Bloody sure you would if it was costing you money.
    Don't forget if you are a regular jock on a radio station, your doing a couple of gigs a week and all of a sudden a punter decides to have a go at you at your gig...who's name and possibly picture will end up in the paper? Not the Punters. Not only your name but it will go something "97fms Joe Bloggs.. Just look at the Evening Hearld last week as an example.

Anyway back to Nikki is the rumour facticious (as I believe it is) or what? It would be unlike RTE to let this run for so long if it was true....
    I used to work in a semi state body and if you were caught nixering you were gone, no appeals, clear your desk and goodbye pension.

I agree that if your are nixering and get attacked (it then starts to affect your work by not being available), it reflects poorly on the station, the employer. I would expect the station to take action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭MarkN

Doing a gig in radio DJ terms is not the same as nixering...and you certainly don't have to go into a venue as XYZ FM's Joe Bloggs - you could just do a gig, earn your money and go home.

I think it's pretty funny how we're being told what we can and can't do outside of work! It's nobody's business but the jock in question if they gig. And whether 40k, 70k or 100k is 'enough' for someone to earn is laughable - why wouldn't an individual aim to earn the most they can? Nobody here is hardly in a position to say 'oh you don't deserve to earn more than X' and "it's hardly starvation money."

I'm sure Nikki will be back on air very soon.

Many people have terms in their employment contracts forbidding outside work i.e. nixers. I think it is quite reasonable that in some fields as it can damage the employers reputation if anything goes wrong.
    you certainly don't have to go into a venue as XYZ FM's Joe Bloggs.
    That's exactly what they do. They trade off their position working for their employer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

It has been known for years that if you make it onto one of the national stations that one of the perks to a person, is that you can charge a lot for an appearence/dj gig.

If i was offered a contract and it stated I could not do anything outside of said contract I wouldnt sign it.

So Grainne Seoige or any tv personality cannot do an after dinner speech and receive 5-10k for it????????????????? Because her (TV) employer can't say s***. People who are on these tv/radio stations started off somewhere and were'nt getting paid top dollar so now that they are making reasonable money nobody has to right to say they cannot do "nixers" outside of there current terms of employment.

Nikki is in great form for those concerned was chatting to her sunday. She is preparing her shows for next week so i reckon she has done around 20 hours work already and she hasn't even been on the radio:)

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Many people have terms in their employment contracts forbidding outside work i.e. nixers. I think it is quite reasonable that in some fields as it can damage the employers reputation if anything goes wrong.

That's exactly what they do. They trade off their position working for their employer.

And eh you've asked every DJ have you? :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Crazily off topic posts moved to new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

Some points. BCI regulations say that presenters cannot self promote outside work. A radio station promoting their own gig using their own jocks would be a different matter.

Wages on local radio (outside the major markets) range from about 18 to 30 grand a year. Hardly superstar stuff.

We're DJs. This is what we do. We play music for a living; thats a major reason we do gigs. To make a living.

All jocks normally have some sort of clause regarding bringing the company into disrepute. Thats why Gret Gaughran got the push from 104 some years ago over the unfortunate domestic with his missus.

Music presenters and DJs have a limited worklife. Theres very few Larry Gogans out there that have been consistently successful for 40 years.

No pension plan. No union. Radio may be considered a 'glamorous' job by the more naive but ask anyone thats actually been in the industry and they'll tell you otherwise.

So, please don't tell me how I'm not allowed earn more money to pay my mortage and buy clothes for my kid.

Ta!

• Advertisement

Manimal wrote:
    Some points. BCI regulations say that presenters cannot self promote outside work.

A very bald statement, and quite untrue. It would be highly unusual that the BCI would intefer at this level. The Codes and Rules are are on programming, taste decency, advertising and protection of children.

They do not tell the stations they licence, the conditions to impose on a stations staff.

A very bald statement, and quite untrue. It would be highly unusual that the BCI would intefer at this level. The Codes and Rules are are on programming, taste decency, advertising and protection of children.

They do not tell the stations they licence, the conditions to impose on a stations staff.

Its against BCI guidelines that any presenter personally endorse any good or product on a BCI licenced station during their own programme. Thats why jocks cannot plug their own gigs for free. Some may do it - but its still against regulations.

Manimal wrote: »
    Its against BCI guidelines that any presenter personally endorse any good or product on a BCI licenced station during their own programme. Thats why jocks cannot plug their own gigs for free. Some may do it - but its still against regulations.

With all due respect, that's not what you said the first time. Endorsing a product on your show is very different to having a regular gig on a Saturday night - the BCI have no control over what you do once you are off air.

I agree with everything else you said though - nice to see a bit of sense in this thread.

MarkN wrote: »
    With all due respect, that's not what you said the first time. Endorsing a product on your show is very different to having a regular gig on a Saturday night - the BCI have no control over what you do once you are off air.

I agree with everything else you said though - nice to see a bit of sense in this thread.

You're actually right - I wasn't very clear the first time round. I should point out that these rules don't seem to apply to RTE Radio which is why you'll hear a great deal of 2FM presenter whoring themselves out on air every single day of the week (with thanks to our friends at the Morgan/Radisson etc etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Manimal wrote: »
    You're actually right - I wasn't very clear the first time round. I should point out that these rules don't seem to apply to RTE Radio which is why you'll hear a great deal of 2FM presenter whoring themselves out on air every single day of the week (with thanks to our friends at the Morgan/Radisson etc etc)

That will change soon enough hopefully, once the RTE Authority, the BCI and BCC merge into a new Ofcom type Broadcasting Authority.

Then, it *should* be a level playing pitch for all when it comes to rules and regulations!

It has been the standard practice for a long time that radio DJs couldnt advertise where they were working outside of the radio station without permission of the station. Things like appearing tonight, paddy murphy from bogger fm etc etc. Thats not allowed.

I know for a fact that one group of radio stations actually will open any company mail addressed to you before you see it. Also you not allowed to get any free stuff from companies, any promo stuff or cds etc will be confiscated.

• Advertisement

I know for a fact that one group of radio stations actually will open any company mail addressed to you before you see it. Also you not allowed to get any free stuff from companies, any promo stuff or cds etc will be confiscated.

Doesn't sound like the norm for any station I have experienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

MarkN wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like the norm for any station I have experienced.

One station I worked in the past, the MD there used to open everyone's mail.

Swipe whatever CDs he liked himself and then you got your open mail once he had rooted through it all.

Thankfully, he is no longer running any station in the country these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

AFAIK, the only area where station has veto is in any implied or otherwise association with the station name. i.e. at least the first part of Preset's post is spot-on and is fairly standard practice.

e.g. the station has control over whether a gig can be advertised as "Nikki Hayes from 2FM", as distinct from simply "Nikki Hayes".

Speaking of which, get well soon, Nikki.....

Liamo.... I was wondering where you got to;)

Anyway let me make it quite clear that I was not saying for one minute that Radio DJs cannot gig outside the day job. I was just saying like any other job that its a risky business to be double jobbing. Having said that if your on a C35 you've nothing to worry about....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Handy number end of.
    Their core MO is to present a show, which is 2-3 hrs a day for most people. The likes of Matt Cooper would certainly have to invest serious hours before going live given the nature of the show but a bog standard jock would not have to invest 40 hours a week, a lá the regular joe soap worker who has to put in a decent shift to get that sort of salary.

The things you are spouting out, are complete, utter, rubbish.... As others on this thread, who are obviously involved in some way in the industry, have pointed out.

To be under the illusion that a radio jock comes in and does the couple of hours on air and heads off is just ridiculous, and displays your complete lack of knowledge on what is involved in producing a daily radio programme.

Also, how can you compare Nikki Hayes and Matt Cooper in any way?! Matt Cooper has a massive team on the show, and he also puts in 10-12 hours a day, on top of their work. I'm sure Nikki has nothing close to that background help... I can assure you, that she, and any other jock that is on for a couple of hours a day, puts in full "working joe" hours and earns her Salary.. and as somebody else mentioned, the guys in the locals will be working solely to produce a daily show.

Also, take an early morning jock (ya know, the ones that go home at 9 in the morning). Take in to consideration for a minute, how much they have to sacrifice for their job, with the hours of work. Imagine them going on the lash on a Thursday night and turning up half cut the next morning... It just can't happen. If they are feeling under the weather, they still have to sound the same as any other day. Heck, I done a three hour radio show with a broken wrist one Saturday morning after a late, messy night the night before. The listeners however, were not aware of that.

I could keep going on and on and on, but let's face it, it's all been said before on here. What you really need to do is cop on that this industry is not a walk in the park, and maybe while your at it, get another record, so we can all listen to something different from you... try and make the next record interesting.

• Advertisement

The things you are spouting out, are complete, utter, rubbish.... As others on this thread, who are obviously involved in some way in the industry, have pointed out.

To be under the illusion that a radio jock comes in and does the couple of hours on air and heads off is just ridiculous, and displays your complete lack of knowledge on what is involved in producing a daily radio programme.

Also, how can you compare Nikki Hayes and Matt Cooper in any way?! Matt Cooper has a massive team on the show, and he also puts in 10-12 hours a day, on top of their work. I'm sure Nikki has nothing close to that background help... I can assure you, that she, and any other jock that is on for a couple of hours a day, puts in full "working joe" hours and earns her Salary.. and as somebody else mentioned, the guys in the locals will be working solely to produce a daily show.

Also, take an early morning jock (ya know, the ones that go home at 9 in the morning). Take in to consideration for a minute, how much they have to sacrifice for their job, with the hours of work. Imagine them going on the lash on a Thursday night and turning up half cut the next morning... It just can't happen. If they are feeling under the weather, they still have to sound the same as any other day. Heck, I done a three hour radio show with a broken wrist one Saturday morning after a late, messy night the night before. The listeners however, were not aware of that.

I could keep going on and on and on, but let's face it, it's all been said before on here. What you really need to do is cop on that this industry is not a walk in the park, and maybe while your at it, get another record, so we can all listen to something different from you... try and make the next record interesting.

Listen Son, less of the high and mightly stuff and trying to put people down. Unless your name is Larry Gogan, ease up.

Correct. I do not work in the radio industry, you may also find it hard to believe I am not a football manager but yet I am still allowed to discuss the topic in general over in the soccer forum without attracting such vitriol.

I don't feel I have to justify what I said but I will anyway. I worked with a DJ who had a "day" job with our company, he nicked off 30 mins before the show, did his 2 hour lunchtime slot and came back again 30 mins later. He started early and finished late in our place to make the time up. He is still a daytime jock to this day but I have since left the company so don't have a clue what he's at now. Suffice to say on the back of that you can see why I had formed such an opinion.

Listen Son, less of the high and mightly stuff and trying to put people down. Unless your name is Larry Gogan, ease up.

Correct. I do not work in the radio industry, you may also find it hard to believe I am not a football manager but yet I am still allowed to discuss the topic in general over in the soccer forum without attracting such vitriol.

I don't feel I have to justify what I said but I will anyway. I worked with a DJ who had a "day" job with our company, he nicked off 30 mins before the show, did his 2 hour lunchtime slot and came back again 30 mins later. He started early and finished late in our place to make the time up. He is still a daytime jock to this day but I have since left the company so don't have a clue what he's at now. Suffice to say on the back of that you can see why I had formed such an opinion.

He must've worked for a great radio station so. He is very much the exception to the rule.

I worked with a DJ who had a "day" job with our company, he nicked off 30 mins before the show, did his 2 hour lunchtime slot and came back again 30 mins later. He started early and finished late in our place to make the time up. He is still a daytime jock to this day but I have since left the company so don't have a clue what he's at now. Suffice to say on the back of that you can see why I had formed such an opinion.

He had a full time job to make ends meet. He obviously did his prep at home.

I'm not trying to put anyone down, just trying to enlighten people that think they know it all. By the way, I'm not trying to say that I do. Although I have worked in the area for a long time, on and off, so have a fair idea what goes on.

You should just drop your grudge against everything and anyone radio related. As Larry would say, it doesn't really suit you.

Who knows? Fair play if he did.
    I never said I knew it all, I posted my OPINION on it. Not gospel AFAIK.

FFS. I dont have any grudges ! I think its a great industry to be in.

This thread has gone wildly of course btw. I know I'm not helping it but I'm not responding to any more bait that you feel you need to serve up.

I don't see how it has gone off topic, it was about Dj pay, and you were disgruntled that they could get paid for two/three hours a day, which many pointed out, wasn't true.

If you had your way, the discussion would end something like this:
    Handy number end of.

But unfortunately, the rest of us wont simply agree with rubbish like that.

But unfortunately, the rest of us wont simply agree with rubbish like that.

Who's 'us' :confused:

Who's 'us' :confused:

Sorry, you obviously didn't read any other responses to your original comments.

'us' are:
    Bard wrote: »

Sizzler Do you honestly believe that radio is a walk in gig ? 2-3 hours gig a day with no prep ! hello ???? No one would get away with that!

Handy Number ? You should take it up, you must be sh*t hot.

How many people do you know that have the talent and natural ability to do it ?

Sure theres nothing to it...... But doing it, well thats another thing.:pac:

Sorry, you obviously didn't read any other responses to your original comments.

'us' are:

Wow, a nice little gang you there by the looks of it :rolleyes:

Sorry Sizzler but I can't sit back and watch somebody try to water down the amount of work required to work in commercial radio full time.

I put in about 60 hours a week and although I am more than an on air DJ, the DJs that do just have that role don't have two hour show and go type positions.

Most of us double job, most of us work six days a week for the station and most of us jock outside of our 'real' jobs.

Every 3 months the boss comes into you with a big book and tells you you're either in or out. I have worked with endless amounts of decent people who were given the boot and it will happen to the best of us at some point.

It's more than a job to a lot of people which is why no matter how much you might hear someone moaning about their job in a station, they will still turn up for work the next day and the day after that but I can tell you now, it's far from a "handy number, end of".

Now you can come on here and reply and tell me this and that but I live, eat and sleep radio and have worked in it for over a decade so I'm more than qualified to question your opinion. ;)

Wow, a nice little gang you there by the looks of it :rolleyes:

You really are scraping the bottom of the barrell for a reason to argue now.. Myself and a couple of others disagree quite rightly with your very ignorant view on radio and the people that work in the industry.

I'm by no means a full timer, as unfortunately my money job gets in the way, but take a look at the post from Mark above, who is a typical example of a hard working jock.

Tell him or anyone else in his position, that it is a handy number and see if they agree with you.

Hopefully you wont bother though, because you might now realise that your original view or opinion was complete bullsh*t.

You really are scraping the bottom of the barrell for a reason to argue now.. Myself and a couple of others disagree quite rightly with your very ignorant view on radio and the people that work in the industry.

I'm by no means a full timer, as unfortunately my money job gets in the way, but take a look at the post from Mark above, who is a typical example of a hard working jock.

Tell him or anyone else in his position, that it is a handy number and see if they agree with you.

Hopefully you wont bother though, because you might now realise that your original view or opinion was complete bullsh*t.
    You're like a dog with a bone here arent you? One minute you say you're dont profess to know it all then next minute you're back on TELLING me my opinion is bullsh*t.

The point I had ORIGINALLY made was on the back of someone saying the going rate was up to 70k, for essentially playing music and possibly not doing a 9-5 stint I felt that was a handy number in comparison to the average punter, and I stand by that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement