Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The birds

Options
  • 22-04-2008 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed birds taking to flying in front of your car. This is more than likely completely restricted to the countryside.

They seem to get some rush out of waiting in bushes and flying across your path as late as possible. I've nailed one poor little bugger so far but the gangs of crows that are at it now have me worried. they'd do serious damage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Hah! Funny post, i've seen one or two of them do it, haven't hit on yet. Although they do **** all over my car every chance they get haha.
    Daredevils:p

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Actually, they're defending their young. They fly at you in the hope that they'll scare you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

This used to happen to me now and then, can be unnerving if your not expecting it.

Strange story - was changing the air filter in my passat back in december and found a swallow under the air filter, dead of course :o

Dunno how he got there, could have hopped in to get warm, or maybe got sucked in while driving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Happened to me on Sunday. Out of no where a bird just flew right at my car. I have been driving a year and this has never happened to me before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭blackbox

I remember once hitting a crow (rook) in the a*se with my windscreen as he was flying away from me. Flipped him over the roof - don't know if he survived. Luckily the roof was on my X1-9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This is no accident though. Out of no where a flock appear across my path. Luckily it's mostly small birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Or Kamikaze rabbits!

lt leaves awful blood spatters all over the front !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Hit a chicken once.......still don't know why it crossed the road though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

craichoe wrote: »
    Or Kamikaze rabbits!

lt leaves awful blood spatters all over the front !

i got one of these recently - saw him at the side of the road happy out and just as i passed he dashed under the wheel :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

drove a silver pajero along the same stretch of country road to work and it never happened but every time I drive the girlfriends Red Seat Leon along the same stretch of road they come from everywhere, I drive the same speed same time of day etc. dont know if its the colour or the fact that they dont hear the petrol engine until its too late but I had to pick several small birds from the front grill over the years. I suppose I'm just lucky theres no swans on my daily commute.
    My old man hit a bat with his lorry on a Sligo to dublin route and It was stuck to his windscreen with its wings outspread for the whole motorway journey, looked like the batman logo, I'm sure anybody that saw it thought it was an alternative to a fluffy dice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭quickstitch.ie

Seen this a last year, travelling behind a VW Sharan style car, a swarm of the buggers arose from a field like scores of little harrier jump jets, all attacking the hedge on the opposite side of the road.... was kinda funny seeing about 8 of them bounce off it in various different directions... *ahem* but also quite sad indeed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i once seen a blue bird lodged half way into a corrola grill still alive.... didnt touch it as id of killed it.

poor bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I once had a wood pigeon fly across in front of me and luckily (or so I thought for about half a second) due to the angle of the windscreen rolled up the glass and over my roof.

thinking all was well (for me at least) i glanced in my rear view mirror to see what had become of the poor fellow just in time to see him hit dead centre in the windscreen of the lorry right behind me. :eek:

unfortunately for my peace of mind my first thought was 'that'll be my fault and he'll want money off me' so I didn't hang around (and am a little bit ashamed of it) to find out if it broke the glass, but it pretty much engulfed the whole front of the thing in feathers for the split second I was looking at it before I went round a bend.

I would imagine they're reinforced to some extent, but whether or not they could withstand a full on pigeon strike, I'm not sure. :confused:

Advertisement