Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent collection - is this normal?

Options
  • 22-04-2008 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭

Hi. Im a young landlord, live in my own house with 2 tenants.

One of them never pays the rent directly. She instead leaves it in an envelope for me to find. She stays in her room alot (not unusual i guess) but its weird the lack of social interaction she does.

I shouldnt complain i guess. Just wondering..does anyone have similar stories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

She instead leaves it in an envelope for me to find.
    Do you mean she leaves it

(a) on the kitchen table or
    (b) she hides it at the back of the cutlery drawer and then behind hte TV next time?

A is perfectly OK - it means she isn't chasing you. B is odd.

If you want it somewhere particular, tell her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I remember living with a Mexican girl and she always left the rent in an envelope infront of the microwave door. This was despite the fact that I'd see her nearly every day and/or nearly every rent day morning... when I asked her about it she said that she just got akward around money and would rather leave it out instead.

I dunno if she was afraid I'd count it in front of her or something. Either way, as long as it was there - who gives a hoot :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

connundrum wrote:
    when I asked her about it she said that she just got akward around money and would rather leave it out instead.

Lots of people are like this.
    Seriously- as long as its being paid, and she is reasonable, if a bit odd, I'd be only too happy to go along with it.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Yeah i suppose its not really a problem. I do think its a BIT odd though. I do see her all the time, but she still leaves little notes and other weird stuff. Its not as if im unapproachable. Im only 2 years older than her.

My theory was that some people dont like the idea of humbling themselves to hand money over, and it hurts less to do it in this formal way.

Like i said, it doesnt really bother me - im just curious

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The fact that you're just slightly older than her could have a bearing on this. Most people's idea of a landlord would be very different to you- she may just feel awkard about it.

When you say she leaves little notes around the place and other weird stuff- what have you in mind? It does sound just a bit bizzare I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Hi. Im a young landlord, live in my own house with 2 tenants.

One of them never pays the rent directly. She instead leaves it in an envelope for me to find. She stays in her room alot (not unusual i guess) but its weird the lack of social interaction she does.

I shouldnt complain i guess. Just wondering..does anyone have similar stories?

I thought you were my 'landlord' there for a second, until you mentioned leaving little notes around and then I knew it wasn't me! I do leave my rent in an envelope though, I see my landlord around probably once a day but if I'm only in and out on rent day and it's either leave it in an envelope or pay it late, then I'd rather leave the envelope out.

I also spend a lot of time in my room, and I have to say living with owner occupiers is totally different to living with other people in a houseshare. She might feel like she's intruding on your space (even though she's renting part of it!). I know I feel like that when I hang out in the kitchen or sitting room, and my landlord is working from home rather a lot these days so the living room is now an office....

We all get along fine though, on the rare occasions when we all see each other. So long as the rent is paid and she's quiet - sounds like a win win to me.

Advertisement