Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do after school :(

Options
  • 22-04-2008 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Slight problem.As i watched all my friends fill out their C.A.O forms i realised Crap! That will be me next year. As of now I still have no idea what to do. I am torn between :
    Art College (teacher is awful so it limits chances of getting in)
    Journalism
    Sound Technology(Having trouble affording this course,but i hear pulse is the best)
    Or leaving school now,dpoing a 800 euro part time D.j course in pulse.
    I am A,B average student. So points aren't much of a problem.I'm torn between having a moderate like for everything and no real passion. Sound Engineering seems very attractive,prospect wise but my bf is a sound engineer and he thinks i'm trying to imitate him....

HELP PLEASE!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Only advice I can give you is ignore your bf and do what you want!! There is loads of different types of engineering do a bit of research into it and see if any of them take your fancy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Bray Institute of Further Education offer a DJ Course. It's a City & Guilds certificate FETAC Level 5 course, similar to in Pulse Recording College, but it costs €325, as opposed to €6,990 : p
    Research your options! Third level education should not be costing you thousands. Also, there are so many courses out there, you might find something that's perfect for you. Just don't let anyone else put you off by what they might say or think, it's you who has to do the course, you may as well do what you'll enjoy.

Also, if you're in fifth year, for the love of god just finish your LC, it's only one more year and it's a useful thing to have, especially if you're an A or B student.

While yeah, having a good art teacher makes things easier, your portfolio for art college is essentially down to you, they can only advise you, you have to do the work/come up with the ideas... And if you're looking to get into NCAD, I advise start working on your portfolio now. I started mine about a month into sixth year and it was a terrible idea. Ended up frantically trying to finish it during my mocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Arty Darcie

Thnaks for help.I've decided that for this summer im gonna work on a half decent portfolio.If i get in I gget in if I don't i'm gonna try a journalism course and do a part tine course in S.T.C

• Registered Users Posts: 83,535 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

journalism doesnt sound too bad.

if your stuck for ideas try speaking with your guidance counsellor and if you have school PCs those tend to have a couple programs on them for figuring out what you want to do: it'll asking you a bunch of questions about your preferences and output the most likely matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Overheal wrote: »
    if your stuck for ideas try speaking with your guidance counsellor and if you have school PCs those tend to have a couple programs on them for figuring out what you want to do: it'll asking you a bunch of questions about your preferences and output the most likely matches.

yep, have a look at www.qualifax.ie

it allows you to do that and also search for courses that you may be interested in CAO or otherwise.

Also I would advise that you stay on and finish your Leaving Cert, it's only a year and it's better to have it than not. Not havin it may prevent you from doing other courses later on especially if DJing doesn't work out for you.

Also when you apply to the CAO, the deadline is Feb 1st of the year you sit your LC. That does not mean you have to choose your courses then, all you are doing is expressing the intention that you want to go to college and you wish to be included in the list of applicants. certainly you have to put down courses that require interviews and portfolios as they are assessed before the leaving cert but you have then until july 1st to change your mind about your choices. So you have plenty of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

You could also take private art classes if your teacher's no good.

Advertisement