Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who do you think is the best/your fav NFL player

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

snyper wrote: »

So we're all pretty much agreed Brady is the best player in the League.
    Last year, yes. I think so. That doesn't mean he is THE BEST, if you see what I mean? He's not the best every year, that's why I'll be interested to see how he fares again this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

davyjose wrote: »
    I'm actually beside myself waiting for next season :D

i know i i'm getting a bit impatient waiting.But still we have the draft tomorrow should be interesting to see how that pans out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

And this is partly my point - if the Colts lost Manning they would fall apart, whereas the Pats could survive a lot better without Brady.

BS Patriots lose Brady right now they wouldnt fall apart they just wouldnt be reaching the playoffs. And the Colts are not that one dimensional either. They could survive without Manning again like the Patriots they wouldnt make playoffs but they would survive.

Both teams are in the same boat without equally the two best QB's in the NFL they would both struggle.

BS Patriots lose Brady right now they wouldnt fall apart they just wouldnt be reaching the playoffs. And the Colts are not that one dimensional either. They could survive without Manning again like the Patriots they wouldnt make playoffs but they would survive.

That's what I said, sorta, that they wouldn't fall apart. I think the Colts would though. Maybe not completely, but it'd be a long hard season.

You said yourself that the Pats played a more running style up until last season. All I'm saying is if you're getting 90-95% of your yards from throwing the ball every season then the guy who throws it matters.

As I said, if and when Brady performs at this level for multiple seasons, I'll put him up there with Manning.

That's what I said, sorta, that they wouldn't fall apart. I think the Colts would though. Maybe not completely, but it'd be a long hard season.

You said yourself that the Pats played a more running style up until last season. All I'm saying is if you're getting 90-95% of your yards from throwing the ball every season then the guy who throws it matters.

As I said, if and when Brady performs at this level for multiple seasons, I'll put him up there with Manning.

True in some sense but the Colts have the players to change their offensive unit. They have by far one of the best offensive lines in the NFL and Joey Addai is a decnet back and with 3 decent sets of hands in Clark Gonzalez and Harrison with that line giving a QB time they will do alright. Its not a complete meltdown. Yes Peyton manning is a big cog in that wheel but the basis of the team is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

It's not fair to say that the Patriots would survive without Brady but the Colts would fall apart without Manning. The Pats being a really good all-round team doesn't mean Brady is somehow less good because of it. If he played for the Dolphins, he'd still be an amazing quarterback.

Karlusss wrote: »
    It's not fair to say that the Patriots would survive without Brady but the Colts would fall apart without Manning. The Pats being a really good all-round team doesn't mean Brady is somehow less good because of it. If he played for the Dolphins, he'd still be an amazing quarterback.

True. I was just saying in terms of being the most valuable player in the league, I would rate others higher, to their respective teams.

That's a good point you make too Tallaght. TBH, this has gotten away from me a little - I'm talking about two of the best QB's to have ever played and it's a case of splitting hairs here. I'm sure Pats fans wouldn't swap TB for PM, and vice versa.

And like I said, next season is going to be sooo fascinating watching the two players at the top of their game throwing to (we hope) two class act WR's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

BS Patriots lose Brady right now they wouldnt fall apart they just wouldnt be reaching the playoffs..

lmao.

What was that 18 - 0 last season.. only because of one player?

Naaarp :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

And like I said, next season is going to be sooo fascinating watching the two players at the top of their game throwing to (we hope) one class act WR's.

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think he's the most valuable player in the NFL. And this is partly my point - if the Colts lost Manning they would fall apart, whereas the Pats could survive a lot better without Brady.
    I also believe had Manning played for the Pats instead of Brady he would have had just as much success. But we'll never know that. One thing I DO know is that Brady alone didn't make the Pats what they are now - there is an argument that (as much as is possible with 1 man) Manning did with the Colts.
    I'm actually beside myself waiting for next season :D

Brady is younger, he is breaking records all the time, he has three superbowl rings and an unbeaten regular season. And he has a long career ahead of him.

You will just have to accept second best. Its that simple. There is no real comparison.
    Manning is a gifted quarterback, there is no doubt about it.

But Tom Brady is the icon, one of a kind, the Tiger Woods, the Phil 'the power' Taylor, the Michael Jordan, the Pele of American Football.

When its all said and done in twenty years time, he will be remembered as the greatest American Footballer that ever lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

eagle eye wrote: »

When its all said and done in twenty years time, he will be remembered as the greatest American Footballer that ever lived.

Unless he goes on for as long as Farve, he wont get close to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Brady is younger, he is breaking records all the time, he has three superbowl rings and an unbeaten regular season. And he has a long career ahead of him.

You will just have to accept second best. Its that simple. There is no real comparison.

But Tom Brady is the icon, one of a kind, the Tiger Woods, the Phil 'the power' Taylor, the Michael Jordan, the Pele of American Football.

are you sh1tting me??? you actually think that Brady is the best player ever in the NFL?? you rate him as a better QB than Dan Marino, John Elway or Joe Montana??you have got to be kidding me

im not gonna say hes not great because he is.but he is nowhere near the best player in NFL history and he will not be remembered as the best by all people in 20 years.perhaps the best Patriots player but not the best player in NFL History.

That is a ridiculous statement. He's had 1 truly great season - from 7 (Not including his first year). I'm not going to get into the Manning debate again*, but calling Brady the best greatest Footballer to have played the game marks you out as either a besotted groupie or a fool. And he's not breaking records ALL THE TIME if you want to be accurate. He broke 1 record.
    3 rings is an amazing feat, but I take my hat off to the Pats, not Brady. Considering Marino never won one, it's not an accurate yardstick of greatness IMO.

*Although since you mentioned age, Manning is only 18 months older, with more than 18 months worth of QB stats the difference.

Firstly let me clear this up.

Tom Brady will be rated the best nfl player of all time in twenty years or so. The reasons for this are clear. The perfect regular season and the three superbowl rings are enough on their own to make that happen.

I have watched American Football for years. I have seen them come and go. Joe Montana is rated the top player to have played the game by a lot of pundits right now. I thought he was exceptional myself but he had a super team around which included Jerry Rice, Roger Craig, Wendell Taylor and John Taylor to name but a few. As everyone knows Montana was replaced by Steve Young and he is also rated by many as one of the best the game has seen. I don't rate Steve Young in the same league as any other quarterback mentioned here.
    You then have John Elway who was a phenomenal quarterback and came along around the same time as the other legend of that time Dan Marino. Neither of these players had an offence which could come close to that of the 49ers but they still managed to get to a couple of superbowls and in Elways case winning two. The last two.
    During their time there was also Jim Kelly and he was every bit as good as Marino, Elway and Montana but alas Jim Kelly is never mentioned in the same breadth as the other three. Kelly never had a team around him to compare with even the Dolphins or Broncos but still managed to get to four Superbowls but unfortunately never won one.
    When you look at these players now and how history remembers them, its clears that records and superbowl rings are what decide how great you were. In Marino's case he has the unenviable tag of being the greatest quarterback never to win a superbowl, I think Kelly is actually joint first in that category.
    Then you had Troy Aikmen who had probably the most talented team of players around him of any quarterback and he is rated as one of the best also, but he was quite ordinary imo.
    That is why I am telling you that in twenty years time Tom Brady will be rated as the best player that ever played the game.
    If you were to ask me the honest truth about the best player I have ever seen I would tell you with absolute certainty that for individual talent it was Barry Sanders. And the next in line for me would be Deion Saunders.
    But when it comes down to it, the nfl love their quarterbacks.

Firstly let me clear this up.

Tom Brady will be rated the best nfl player of all time in twenty years or so. The reasons for this are clear. The perfect regular season and the three superbowl rings are enough on their own to make that happen.

I have watched American Football for years. I have seen them come and go. Joe Montana is rated the top player to have played the game by a lot of pundits right now. I thought he was exceptional myself but he had a super team around which included Jerry Rice, Roger Craig, Wendell Taylor and John Taylor to name but a few. As everyone knows Montana was replaced by Steve Young and he is also rated by many as one of the best the game has seen. I don't rate Steve Young in the same league as any other quarterback mentioned here.
    You then have John Elway who was a phenomenal quarterback and came along around the same time as the other legend of that time Dan Marino. Neither of these players had an offence which could come close to that of the 49ers but they still managed to get to a couple of superbowls and in Elways case winning two. The last two.
    During their time there was also Jim Kelly and he was every bit as good as Marino, Elway and Montana but alas Jim Kelly is never mentioned in the same breadth as the other three. Kelly never had a team around him to compare with even the Dolphins or Broncos but still managed to get to four Superbowls but unfortunately never won one.
    When you look at these players now and how history remembers them, its clears that records and superbowl rings are what decide how great you were. In Marino's case he has the unenviable tag of being the greatest quarterback never to win a superbowl, I think Kelly is actually joint first in that category.
    Then you had Troy Aikmen who had probably the most talented team of players around him of any quarterback and he is rated as one of the best also, but he was quite ordinary imo.
    That is why I am telling you that in twenty years time Tom Brady will be rated as the best player that ever played the game.
    If you were to ask me the honest truth about the best player I have ever seen I would tell you with absolute certainty that for individual talent it was Barry Sanders. And the next in line for me would be Deion Saunders.
    But when it comes down to it, the nfl love their quarterbacks.

you a patriots fan yeah?? because that is the most biased load of crap ive ever read.sure Brady is a great QB, and yeah i expect him to be remembered as the greatest QB of his generation, but to rate him as the future best player of all time is totally over the top

• Advertisement

kev_s88 wrote: »
    you a patriots fan yeah?? because that is the most biased load of crap ive ever read.sure Brady is a great QB, and yeah i expect him to be remembered as the greatest QB of his generation, but to rate him as the future best player of all time is totally over the top

What is biased about the comments in my last post?
    If you read my full post I am just pointing out why this will happen. I did not say that he is the greatest footballer of all time. I said that he will be remembered as that.
    I also pointed out who I believe are the greatest footballers that I have seen. Neither was a Patriot. As a matter of fact one of them played for a team I dislike immensely, that being the Cowboys.
    I am a Patriot in answer to your question.
    I do think that Tom Brady is a fantastic quarterback and is already 'one' of the greatest players the game has seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭spud06

Best player in the league is Adrian Petterson.................My favourite player is Peyton Manning consistency at its best WITHOUT CHEATING!!!!!!!!!

spud06 wrote: »
    Best player in the league is Adrian Petterson.................My favourite player is Peyton Manning consistency at its best WITHOUT CHEATING!!!!!!!!!

Well one thing Peyton can rely on is all those fake fans coming out of the speaker in Indianapolis. Fake crowd noises very clever.

Im a Pats fan and like Peyton Manning and by the way change the record before I call you names and get banned again. The Patriots cheated not Tom Brady he still had only 3 to 4 seconds in the pocket but had the speed of Welker or Moss to throw to so dude grow up and change the record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Favourite and best player: Peyton Manning.

Also worth a mention: Adrian Peterson, 'Colonel' Bob Sanders, Edgerrin James, the entire Giants defense, and in particular Strahan and Umenyiora. Wes Welker had a strong season but not sure if he'll keep that going, we'll see.

For old school players I always thought Barry Sanders was a real class act, and Reggie White RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,316 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Somecurrent players I like...

Drew Brees, Brian Westbrook, Brian Urlacher, Eli Manning, Tedy Bruschi, Dallas Clarke and Steve Smith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Only really skimmed over these past few pages just got a few things to say.

Cheating - not as important as some are making out on this thread but the nature of the cheating that the Patriots were caught out on does have to be considered. Taping your opponents defensive signals has an advantage to only one person on the field - the QB. Would knowing the defensives audibles etc. guarantee you Superbowls and past seasons like Brady has had? Not bloody likely. But it absolutely would have helped in achieving them. To what extent nobody will ever know and for that reason it is kind of a moot point in the whole "better" QB argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr.Slurm

My Favourite: Hester

The best(Ultra-biased): Peyton Manning

The Manning v Brady debate is really tiresome.

I think most people can agree that they are currently the best two quarter-backs in the league, but after that it comes down to opinion.

Dr.Slurm wrote: »
    The Manning v Brady debate is really tiresome.

I think most people can agree that they are currently the best two quarter-backs in the league, but after that it comes down to opinion.

Yup agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,316 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Dr.Slurm wrote: »
    My Favourite: Hester

Oh yeah, add him to my list. And Maurice Jones Drew too.

Dodge wrote: »
    Oh yeah, add him to my list. And Maurice Jones Drew too.

c'mon the MJD.so appy my Jaguars have a player like him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭Wanders_fan

Tomilson far and away the best in the league!Living Consistency.

Most underrated player in the league probably Westbrooke or Mario Willams

As of a month ago my favourite playe is Asante Samuel!Gotta love him now my Eagles have this high flyer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

kev s88 i like your signature very much, tis funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭DenMan

The 49ers took on Jason Hill from Washington State University in the Draft in 07, second fastest receiver in the Draft behind Yamon Figurs. Expecting big things from him.

DenMan wrote: »
    The 49ers took on Jason Hill from Washington State University in the Draft in 07, second fastest receiver in the Draft behind Yamon Figurs. Expecting big things from him.

......right? speed means nothing look at devin hester he is fast a great receiver he ain't.I need more than speed to convince me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

FrankGore.jpg

Personal favourite

• Advertisement

Sea Devils wrote: »
    FrankGore.jpg

Personal favourite

who is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Frank Gore, RB

brennaldo wrote: »
    who is he?

The one and only Frank Gore which was interesting because my post you quoted had the answer inserted in between the image tags. No worries for not seeing it though;)

Can't wait to see if he's used in a Faulk like role in Martz's Offense

The one and only Frank Gore which was interesting because my post you quoted had the answer inserted in between the image tags. No worries for not seeing it though;)
    In certain browsers you just see the image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Can't wait to see if he's used in a Faulk like role in Martz's Offense

I was shocked when Mike Martz took the 49er's OC job. He was some work on his hands turning a run heavy offense with a poor QB and WRs, into his favoured 'air it out' type offense.

He couldn't do it with the Lions and they had a better QB and WRs

jdivision wrote: »
    In certain browsers you just see the image

yeah all i could was the image

is he any good

FrankGore.jpg

Personal favourite

I bet you'd no other choice being a niners fan.

I bet you'd no other choice being a niners fan.

Well I wasn't exactly going to select a Dallas Cowboy for example;)

Hazys wrote: »
    I was shocked when Mike Martz took the 49er's OC job. He was some work on his hands turning a run heavy offense with a poor QB and WRs, into his favoured 'air it out' type offense.

He couldn't do it with the Lions and they had a better QB and WRs

He's certainly a massive upgrade over Hoestler thats for sure but but he has to come up with an entirely different way of using our players then he ever has otherwhise much like in Detroit the entire Offense could have misgivings about him

Hopefully if Martz drastically makes the offense better they pay Martz more and take away Nolan's imput on the offensive side of the draft, give it to Martz (so Martz would be dealing with McCloughlin) or if Nolan just has to go, promote Martz and leave Singletary in charge of the D.

• Advertisement

Martz will need to learn to run the ball for the o to work. Gore has had one good season Wanders fan but is prone to injury, on his day he can be excellent though but wouldn't be elite

Martz will need to learn to run the ball for the o to work. Gore has had one good season Wanders fan but is prone to injury, on his day he can be excellent though but wouldn't be elite

yeah definatly have to agree with that.

Co signed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

The best is Shaun Merriman, guy is an animal! Haven't seen an outside linebacker as dominant as him since LT.

Fav player though has to be Brian Dawkins. Guy was a beast. Surefire hall of famer, was the best saftey in the league for a good 6 or 7 years. Shame he never got the ring he deserved (DAMN CHEATING PATS!) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Jeeeez lads......... only 1 mention of the best player so far.

Easy, the best player is LaDanian Tomlinson period. While he has a good cast around him now, for the first 4 years of his career he was on his own. Simply the best.

I also believe Tom Brady is a quality player. He's as tough as they come (unlike #18) and a winner.

My favourite player emmmmmm, that's a tough one.

He'd have to be one of Jones-Drew, Cromartie or Walter Jones (when in his prime).

Tomilson far and away the best in the league!Living Consistency.

Most underrated player in the league probably Westbrooke or Mario Willams

As of a month ago my favourite playe is Asante Samuel!Gotta love him now my Eagles have this high flyer

this was my comment on my faouriteand best players.I was saying that the previous poster had no choice for his favourite player being gore as a 49ers fan.

• Advertisement

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Jeeeez lads......... only 1 mention of the best player so far.

Easy, the best player is LaDanian Tomlinson period. While he has a good cast around him now, for the first 4 years of his career he was on his own. Simply the best.

I also believe Tom Brady is a quality player. He's as tough as they come (unlike #18) and a winner.

My favourite player emmmmmm, that's a tough one.

He'd have to be one of Jones-Drew, Cromartie or Walter Jones (when in his prime).

LaDanian tomlinson...... wouldnt call him the best sorry. will agree that walter jones in his prime was quality though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭philon

Brian Urlacher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

T.O enough said.

when i started this thread i never thaught of former players, so if you see this post please feel free to say former players and not just now players,

id say either montana or elway would be the best (although its always easy to pick the QB isnt it)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

if we were going with retired players i think its a tough call to pick just one player....... so i won't.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement