Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips for advertising a house?

Options
  • 22-04-2008 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I am currently selling a house and like most people at the moment, I am having trouble getting interest from buyers.
    I feel that my estate agent is doing as much as can be expected and has arranged 3 viewings to date. I have also already dropped the price significantly but still no offers.

The house is advertised on Daft and is in the estate agents window but I'm wondering is there anything else I can do?

Has anyone got any tips for advertising a house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sadie9

You can get the agent to place it as Premium ad in Daft, so it appears first when anyone searches your area. Price for this varies so check with agent first. Recently got an offer on a relative's house I was helping to sell, we had to drop the price by 10% nearly, but it worked!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

When you say that you have already dropped the price significantly, what do you mean? Are there other houses for sale in the area- if so, it might be an idea to organise a viewing of them, to get some ideas of how to present your own property.

Price is a massive issue at the moment- even if you have reduced the price if it is still perceived by potential buyers as expensive, they obviously won't bid on it. While it does depend on the area, a 20-30% reduction on peak 2006 prices would not be unheard of (and prices are continuing to decline).

What area is it in- and what is the nature of the property (e.g. 4 bed semidetached in North county dublin on a 1/2 acre site). If you give us a few ideas we might be in a position to find similar properties online for you to compare yours against.

S./

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sarahhurray

I would say drop the price. Presuming you have the place beautifully presented of course! If it looks mouldy with a hefty price tag you won't get much interest. I know of a good few friends who have gone sale agreed recently so that would annecdotally suggest people are looking to buy at the right price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 petecasey

I checked out the cost of a premium ad with daft, which certainly isn't cheap. I guess it would get me some extra exposure so it's certainly worth considering. I reckon that getting more exposure is what it needs so I was thinking of trying one or two other property web sites.

My estate agent was also telling me about a new crowd called view2buy.ie that will let you submit a video as well as photos. I don't have a video camera but I know someone who does so I might try to record something if I can get the house tidied up a bit at the weekend. I'm thinking it might give people a better idea of the house. What do you think?

I have done some work on the house recently, cleaned up the garden, painted a few rooms etc so the place is looking quite good, once I spend an hour tidying up of course!! :o I have priced 10k below similar houses in the area (and have viewed a similar house up the street) but you are right, I will have to drop some more to get the offers in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sarahhurray

don't bother with the premium ad. People who are viewing an area are going to look at everything in that area. You're just increasing your viewership to gawkers. I wouldn't bother with the video either. It's one thing not to have photos, or to have crap photos, can't understand either, but no one expects video. They want to see the kitchen, bathroom, garden, and any extras e.g. garage etc. See if you can get a brutally honest opinion from a friend on how the place looks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 petecasey

Thanks Sarah, getting the honest opinion from a few friends is a good idea, I'm sure they will see things that I have missed. If the weather is sunny at the weekend I think I will take some new photos, I might even give the video a go, but I suppose the key is to present the main features of the house as best I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

But, OP has not disclosed his property and link to ad yet. :eek: You might get some buyer here but of course price should be realistic as earlier said.

Advertisement