Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons for cold April

Options
  • 22-04-2008 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hello all. I am currently doing a research on what factors influence Europe's climate (the trends). What are the reasons for this 'cold' April in Ireland? Looking at the stats Dublin so far has been a good few degrees colder than last year (6.8 deg vs. 10.6 deg). Any theories? Thanks in advance:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I'd say 3 factors come into play.
    1. A colder continental Europe with more snow cover(Alpine and Scandanavian regions)
    2.A La Nina influence (but debatable this one due to No.3)
    3.More stratospheric warming over arctic regions resulting in a more northern run of polar or polar maritime winds and northern blocking.

April 2007 had none of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Snowbie wrote: »
    I'd say 3 factors come into play.
    1. A colder continental Europe with more snow cover(Alpine and Scandanavian regions)
    2.A La Nina influence (but debatable this one due to No.3)
    3.More stratospheric warming over arctic regions resulting in a more northern run of polar or polar maritime winds and northern blocking.

April 2007 had none of the above.

Agree with the above, although I personally believe that La Nina has little if any influence on the current conditions, especially when the same was blamed for the milder than average conditions during the winter months by climate scientists.

The NOA and its random positioning at any given time I do have time for, as there is stronge evidence that random positioning of lows and highs will occur with equal spontineity with or without the influences of El Nino, La Nina or La Mama.

Just a personal view, and open to challenge. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Lads and lassies... while i know nothing more about weather than oh sh1te its raining. I hope todays WARM A$$ weather was takin into account as probably the warmest day in April in years??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

The reason this April has been cold so far is that we have had a lot of days with east/north east winds. This is due to the quasi random position of the low and high pressures. This will probably all change in the coming weeks.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Ignore last year for comapring this April. IMO, last year was more of an exception than this year.

Also lets compare stats at months end. It's not going to stay at 6.8C, though neither will it rise by much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement