Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student in ni university

Options
  • 22-04-2008 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

Hi folks just a quick question or two if ya dont mind.

I am 25 and in sept after a year out will be doing first year in University of Ulster in Derry. Am i eligible for grants etc given the place of study? I applied when i was doing the foundation year and was told no now i cant remember in fairness whether it was because i was doing a foundation year or because i was going to uni up here rather then down there

Can anyone shed any light? Also would it be Dublin city council or the vec or who else would i go to for this?

Many thanks

Comments

Hi GAAman,

If you were to go to any country in the EU from Ireland to study, you could apply for a grant. That's the general idea at least, although it does get a little more picky. But yes, NI is covered by the grant.

The general rule (which again isn't 100% correct but a good starter point) is that Uni = Council, and IT = VEC. From 2009/10 it looks like everything with be done through the VEC, but I would ask at the Council who admin the area where you were living in the October previous to your application. If that's incorrect, sure when you're talking to them I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction :)

Edit: I just went to try and find details on the DCC website for you since I remember that DCC used to have a good online section, but I can't find anything on their website. That's a bit strange. The number I had for the grant section was 01 2222161 so it might still get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I was at the NWIFHE in Derry for two years and got a grant from the VEC. I also got my fees paid by the WELB in Omagh.

Try contacting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Thanks lads will give that number a try tomorrow, and yeah smashey its the neelb for me (no idea why though :confused: )

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

GAAman wrote: »
    Thanks lads will give that number a try tomorrow, and yeah smashey its the neelb for me (no idea why though :confused: )
    I think they were re-organised last year and a few of them were merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Welcome to Magee :D

It's also worth seeing what they have to offer at the finance office on campus (there's a link on the ulster.ac.uk site) as they are literally flinging money at freshers because...well....no-one wants to come to college here. I know social sciences in particular have a big pot of money to spread out, they've been begging people to apply for these 'scholarships' all year via email.

• Advertisement
Advertisement