Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Confused and near test time!

Options
  • 22-04-2008 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've my test coming up and am getting lessons.
    I feel confident about my driving but I'm nervous because I have no real idea about my secondary controls or what's under the bonnet. I know how to check tyre pressure, the windscreen washer, oil and I know how to use my lights, air vents and demisters but that's about it! :eek:
    My question is should your driving instructor teach you these things or should I ask someone who knows?? :confused:
    Also, during the test if a tractor is infront of you but there is a continuous white line on the road should you overtake?? This happened in my last lesson and my instructor told me I would've been failed in the real test for holding up traffic, but I thought I was doing the right thing by keeping left of the white line!! :confused: :rolleyes:

Thanks all! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Okay, there's no need to worry about know about the technical checks, you seem to know most of them, ask your instructor to go over them with you, ie pop the bonnet and make sure you know where the brake fluid, washer fluid, etc goes. Have a sit in your car and figure out the secondary controls, although it seems you know them, ie parking lights, dipped head lights, full beams, indicators, hazard lights. As for the situation with the tractor, if the tractor is driving and there is a continuous white line do not over take, only overtake if there is a broken white line on your side, however if it's parked and there's no choice but to cross the white line then of course do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

thanks for the reply!

I hope I'm getting myself in to a muddle over nothing but I wouldn't want to fail the test before I've even sat in the car!! :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

fifomania wrote: »
    thanks for the reply!

I hope I'm getting myself in to a muddle over nothing but I wouldn't want to fail the test before I've even sat in the car!! :D:p

No need to worry, you wont fail just because you make a silly mistake about secondary controls etc. They're the easy bits, the day before your test just go over them with your instructor or someone who knows cars:pac:, And if you make a mistake, dont worry about it, it's just a silly little question and they'll generally give you a second chance on them. Make sure that for any mistake you make during your test, you just but them behind you and continue on, never throw in the towel, even if you think you've done something particularly bad. Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fifomania wrote: »
    during the test if a tractor is infront of you but there is a continuous white line on the road should you overtake?? This happened in my last lesson and my instructor told me I would've been failed in the real test for holding up traffic
    if the tractor is driving and there is a continuous white line do not over take
    While legally one shouldn't overtake on a continous white line, I too have heard that some examiners expect a driver to move out and pass a slow moving vehicle provided, of course, that it is safe to do so.

For example, most fork lift trucks or road sweepers, rarely travel at more than 10kph. I don't think that an examiner would expect one to remain behind them.

Any instructors or examiner out there who may shed some light on this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

does your car have a user manual? probably in the glovebox give it a read it will tell you all the controls and whats under the hood too.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

you seem to know under the bonnet stuff.. but make sure you know how to check your dip sticks. Just ask your instuctor to show you. When coming to a test, my insturctor all these things everytime before i get in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I could be corrected here but even if you get all your secdonary control. under bonnet questions wrong you still only get one mark 2 against you. Maybe somebody can confirm thim. Secondly get some one to have a go over it with you, if your driving instructor wont do it (or you dont want to pay to be shown) then ask someone. I would say most people could point everything out to you.

Advertisement