Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

american nokia n95 in ireland?

• 22-04-2008 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

just wondering can a nokia n95 bought unlocked from america be used in ireland??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

AFAIK the 3g frequencies used in the North America Version are different to the european frequency's so the 3g won't work. Im open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

you appear to be right center15. the american n95's hsdpa (3g) frequencies are 850 and 1900 instead of our 2100 MHz

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n95-1716.php

stupid americans :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

so does that mean if people buy the 3g iphone in the states, it will not work over here ?????

the 2g part will work but according to that site, the 3g part won't. it could be wrong

and remember it just means that that particular phone won't. others might also connect to 2100 MHz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

damn i was hoping to upgrade my 2g unlocked iphone to a 3g one when i go over in june.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

@center15
    Thank God somebody is awake today!
    I was on another planet. Of course as stated, the 3G/HSDPA frequencies are totally different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

ant043 wrote: »
    so does that mean if people buy the 3g iphone in the states, it will not work over here ?????

Not necessarily, apple could release a worldwide 3g compatible iphone, which would make sense for them as they could just use the same stock worldwide.

center15 wrote: »
    Not necessarily, apple could release a worldwide 3g compatible iphone, which would make sense for them as they could just use the same stock worldwide.

i don't think they will do it that way though. firstly, it's good for them to be able to prevent the europeans from getting their phones in america so they can rip them off.

and secondly, putting in the extra hardware would increase the size and weight of the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

I bought an N80 in the U.S. this time last year which operated on the European frequencies - it was a hell of a lot cheaper than it would have been here. European models do make it over there so it could be worth a poke around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 harry92

thanks guys tink ill get one from america so. :D

so your saying that the 3G is the only thing that wont work on the phone??

Not sure if you understood me there. What I was suggesting was that you could have a look for a model that supports the european frequencies there. If you can live without 3G/HSDPA then so be it but if for exampe you are on 3 as your service provider not having a 3G capable phone could be problematic.

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Not sure if you understood me there. What I was suggesting was that you could have a look for a model that supports the european frequencies there. If you can live without 3G/HSDPA then so be it but if for exampe you are on 3 as your service provider not having a 3G capable phone could be problematic.

problematic in that it won't work in the majority of the country.

i would recommend you don't buy an n95 in america. the one bluefrog got that worked here wasn't a standard US model

Precisely - why didn't I think of putting it that way. :D

Advertisement