Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

30 June Deadline?

Options
  • 22-04-2008 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Im sorry if the answer for this has been posted. But the new rules and when and what applys isnt clear to me.

Im on my 2nd provisional and want to get my test done soon, I have yet to take any lessons and dont drive.

Q1. If i apply of my test now does it matter if a sit it before or after the 30 June. If so how does it effect me.

Q2. If i apply after the 30 June how do I stand in relation to the new rules. Will I have to have 15 lessons done, 2 years post driving test restrictions..

Q3. Im looking for a good instructor anyone that has had a good experience with theirs would they mind PM me. It would mean a lot. I live in Harolds cross, Dublin so someone near enough :D

Thanks so much in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Kingkong wrote: »
    Im on my 2nd provisional and want to get my test done soon, I have yet to take any lessons and dont drive.

Q1. If i apply of my test now does it matter if a sit it before or after the 30 June. If so how does it effect me.
    The main difference is that , after June 30th, you will be legally obliged to be accompanied on a public road (unless the Provisional Licence is in A, A1, M or W).
    Q2. If i apply after the 30 June how do I stand in relation to the new rules. Will I have to have 15 lessons done, 2 years post driving test restrictions..
    No - they are possible proposals for a later date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Does anyone know to what extent is this June 30th deadline going to be enforced?

My mate is a cop and he says they havent been told anything - not exactly sure how is it going to enforced?

Pulling all cars with L plates over (just because there is more than 1 person in the car dosent mean they have a full license - so basically every car with L plates will have to be pulled over) and then identifying and fining/arresting the L drivers who arent accompanied (does anyone know the punishment btw?)

I think the whole thing is a complete waste of police time and is only going to force people to get rid of their L plates before they pass the test!

Leaner drives arent the biggest hazard on roads, its speed, drink and the state of Irish roads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    Does anyone know to what extent is this June 30th deadline going to be enforced?

My mate is a cop and he says they havent been told anything - not exactly sure how is it going to enforced?

Pulling all cars with L plates over (just because there is more than 1 person in the car dosent mean they have a full license - so basically every car with L plates will have to be pulled over) and then identifying and fining/arresting the L drivers who arent accompanied (does anyone know the punishment btw?)

I think the whole thing is a complete waste of police time and is only going to force people to get rid of their L plates before they pass the test!

Leaner drives arent the biggest hazard on roads, its speed, drink and the state of Irish roads

I agree and disagree

I agreee that there are other factors involved but from driving around a lot I have noticed the very very poor driving skills from learner drivers. There are good ones but many of them are bad in my experience.

I agree that inforcing the rule will be hard but wew gotta think of the long term objective of deterring drivers getting on the road who are just not ready. There are people on here all the time who do not have a clue about some important rules of the road and yet still drive around everyday.

The importance of the new rules is to bring through better drivers who understand driving and to be honest this may curb speeding in youngr drivers if they fully understand the impact of what they are doing.

I would prefer a totally new driving test with stricter testing as in the long run it would help bring insurance down if we become better drivers and less crashes occur

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

Thanks lads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Noskoda

As it is now almost the end of April and nothing has come out from the RSA for a long time about these new regulations, does anyone else think, like me, that they will not be brought in / will not be enforced / cannot be enforced. The RSA are great for making big rash proposals, but not good at carrying them out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭daddymick66

the best advice is to take lessons from a qualified instructor ,theres a list on the ROAD SAFETY AUTHORITY website under the ADI section / approved driving instructor, check out those with FULL PERMIT HOLDERS as opposed to the temporary permit holders as they have passed stringent exams etc to get there accreditation,you can get there contact details on the page also.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

the best advice is to take lessons from a qualified instructor ,theres a list on the ROAD SAFETY AUTHORITY website under the ADI section / approved driving instructor, check out those with FULL PERMIT HOLDERS as opposed to the temporary permit holders as they have passed stringent exams etc to get there accreditation,you can get there contact details on the page also.

That font is quite difficult to read, don't mean to nit pick, i'm working off a 7" screen...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

That's an AVERAGE of 10.7 weeks, made up of some spectacular improvements like Cork, Tallaght, Buncrana with 6 weeks waits on average, but it's still a considerable fiasco with some test centres having week waits in the upper teens and lower twenties.

The extra testing resources are a good start, but a mad dash to get to a 10 week average is not good enough.

It should be a 10 week MAXIMUM and it must be sustainable (as in, not letting things slide back to the way they were when all the attention has gone elsewhere).

• Advertisement

daddymick - please use the normal font! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pratapani

Hi

In my view it might be an idea to have 3 tier system
    1. lerner permit
    2. provisional (allowing people to use local road)
    3. full license
    i agree with crapmanjoe, most of the accidents are due to drink and drive and speed.

i do agree with others there are very bad learner drivers causing difficulties/accidents to others. RSA may have to give a thought on having 3 tier system.
    crapmanjoe wrote: »

pratapani wrote: »
    [*]provisional (allowing people to use local road)
    That would be absolutely impossible to enforce and there would be a huge difference between 'local' roads in Co Leitrim for example, compared with 'local' roads in Dublin City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,779 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

chris85 wrote: »
    I agree and disagree

I agreee that there are other factors involved but from driving around a lot I have noticed the very very poor driving skills from learner drivers. There are good ones but many of them are bad in my experience.

Can you give some examples, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Chris85: They're called learner drivers for a reason... not everyone has the farm/field to throw any old crapwagon into and drive around in during their spare time before they get a chance to actually drive. I wouldn't exactly expect any learner driver to be as good as a F1 driver now, in fairness.. They're learning, they'll be poor drivers at first, they'll make mistakes.. but didn't you? Everyone has to start somewhere, and not everyone is of the same standard. You learn and improve by practice though.

There are also plenty of experienced drivers on the road who wouldn't know some of the more important rules of the road, or could even be worse than L drivers. However, there's just as much a chance as anyone being in a crash. You can't exclude drivers with more experience from having a crash. Probability doesn't work like that. I think any experienced driver knows that everyone has the chance of crashing, and not to be cocky about it, as it could well be them too.

Also from now on, will you hear in accident reports when the person got qualifications to drive? Will you hear when they passed their test and if it was after these new regulations? or will it just be that they're L drivers, or young drivers, or male, or some such. You can twist facts any which way you want, it'll be interesting to see what happens there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭SeanW

Of the bad driving I see here in Longford, most is in the form of dodgy cut-offs and people who don't know the difference between bearing a new direction on the course of the road and turning, and will indicate when following the road around a bend, driving slow, muppets driving while talking on a mobile phone and even one time, a lorry without brake lights. At night.

If only I had a video camera and could tape some of this stuff.

99 times out of 100 there's not an L-Plate in sight.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - L drivers are not the problem. Dare I say it, a problem barely worthy of consideration. It's how people - full or provisional licensed - actually ****ingwell drive.

People who go on about L-drivers as a major source of road unsafety are, IMO only looking to score cheap points going after an easy target.

I am happy to read that the RSA has finally got test waiting times down. But I fear that it's another FF stunt - they'll get the waiting times down in a major theatrical display, force new regualtions in on the back of that, then in a few years time I worry the driver testing system will be the same non-functional mess that it was in 2006. But then there will be no 2nd provisional 'loophole' and automatic prosecutions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

SeanW wrote: »
    Of the bad driving I see here in Longford, most is in the form of dodgy cut-offs and people who don't know the difference between bearing a new direction on the course of the road and turning, and will indicate when following the road around a bend, driving slow, muppets driving while talking on a mobile phone and even one time, a lorry without brake lights. At night.

If only I had a video camera and could tape some of this stuff.

99 times out of 100 there's not an L-Plate in sight.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - L drivers are not the problem. Dare I say it, a problem barely worthy of consideration. It's how people - full or provisional licensed - actually ****ingwell drive.

People who go on about L-drivers as a major source of road unsafety are, IMO only looking to score cheap points going after an easy target.
    Thank you, because I think the exact same! took the words outta my mouth.

I think its rediculous targeting learner drivers.

Advertisement