Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The F*cking Library

• 22-04-2008 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else think the library is getting ridicoulous these days?

At 2 o'clock today I could not find one empty seat on all 4 floors, well 3 cos I didn't bother looking in that new room on the ground floor cos I don't like people looking at me when I study.

Even with the much increased capacity from last year we still have these problems. Now I accept that everyone has exams coming up, but what p*sses me off is the fact that most of the seats, i'd say more than 50% anyway, just had a few books and a jacket thrown on them. I have noticed people taking breaks for 2 or 3 hours going to lectures and then coming back expecting to keep the seat for the day.

I realise the importance of breaks but what was wrong with the system in place last year where you had to leave a slip of paper on your desk when you left?

Rant over

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭wordofmouth

This week particularly bad cause of all the review lectures. Get in early like those other people! Everyone needs breaks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

You had to leave a slip of paper on your seat when you left last year? News to me.

I turn up at 11am and usually get a seat although it is ridicously crowded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭wordofmouth

Yeah you had to sign a sheet saying what time you left your desk at and if you were gone too long they moved your stuff! They were probably just testing that system last year obviously didn't work very well! Study in campus kitchen or somewhere else if you can't make it in early enough maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

They were probably just testing that system last year

nah - that system has been around for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

I'm not in college yet but is it a huge job to go back to your room to study? or would it be too far of a walk/ to much hassle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I can't study at home at all, I associate it too much with messing around to ever be able to focus and get anything done. Plus it's handy to be on campus and have quick access to books, free printing of notes/exam papers, and the crucial coffee break companions (though coffee breaks aren't quite as fun since the hot Italian guy left Java City, boo hoo).

I study in my department's computer labs because there's always space there and I find the atmosphere of the library at this time of year too stressful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Jannah

rain on wrote: »
    (though coffee breaks aren't quite as fun since the hot Italian guy left Java City, boo hoo).
    :D Now THERE'S something they forgot to show us on open day!

I'm lucky enough to be in a position to avail of his, em, personal coffee-making services ;) Still would be more fun to have him around college. There's nobody in Java worth batting my eyelashes at now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Jannah

Aw you lucky thing!!! Italians are swoooonsome! Lol, brings me back to the days of my Italian sweetheart- the language barrier is so endearing!!! "When I with you it is like I having whole world in my hand" :o Ahhhh!!

Pfft, unlike the dudes in school. What a waste of make-up!! :(

Ah well theres your problem. Too much make up is very unattractive. Better to stay natural. ;)
    I'm not in college yet but is it a huge job to go back to your room to study? or would it be too far of a walk/ to much hassle?

Having a TV, people or even a bed so close to you is a definite hassle. Plus books are essential in later years when studying for exams. So really the library is the only place to be to get work done.

Is it going to be this bad next week as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

This week particularly bad cause of all the review lectures. Get in early like those other people! Everyone needs breaks!
    Yeah but no one needs breaks at 9.30. I was in at that time today but very few empty seats left but most were just books left there, people must be coming in early then securing their seat for the day and belting off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭Blarney92

People are also reserving seats for friends- saw one girl take up four seats yesterday and her friends didn't come for two and a half hours later.....

Blarney92 wrote: »
    People are also reserving seats for friends- saw one girl take up four seats yesterday and her friends didn't come for two and a half hours later.....

Should have told her off. Pathetic behaviour in my opinion. No repsect for other students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭Blarney92

Orizio wrote: »
    Should have told her off. Pathetic behaviour in my opinion. No repsect for other students.

But she had a civil engineering hoodie on- you know what those civil engineering "girls" are like!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Blarney92 wrote: »
    But she had a civil engineering hoodie on- you know what those civil engineering "girls" are like!!!!

i'm not going to UCC (yet) but i couldn't help but laugh at that:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    i'm not going to UCC (yet) but i couldn't help but laugh at that:P

I couldn't help but laugh that they have their own hoodies :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

hate having to find a library seat. have my own private studying space though, quiet, cool and never disturbed and it's not my apartment

bleg wrote: »
    hate having to find a library seat. have my own private studying space though, quiet, cool and never disturbed and it's not my apartment
    Care to tell us where it is...

bleg wrote: »
    I like being disturbed by the hot one who almost always ends up sitting beside me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭foobi

The library was crazy busy today, got in at like 9.15 and couldn't find a free seat. Fecking campus kitchen was closed, so i'm blaming that. now at home and not getting a tap done... oh and people shouldn't steal other peoples seats in the library- grrr to that!!

• Advertisement

Apparently a shouting match over seats broke out in there earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭foobi

are ya serious? hahaha. i missed it-dammit!!! i nearly had one with a seat snatcher the other day.

Yeah apparently there was a girl saving a seat for her friend and another girl wanting to sit in it and it came to shouting. Wasn't there myself so I don't know who won!

They seem to have listened to my rant anyway, absence slips coming back in from tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭madaboutcars

Was this in Q+3 by any chance? Cause there was a girl having an argument with what started off with 1 librarian and ended up with 2 librarians at around 1 today at the customer service desk there, and it was to do with seating and I didn't hear the whole thing (cause I was trying:( to study next to the door in Q+3 which didn't go well obviously) but anyway the librarian informed your one that her property was her responsibility.

The library is a disgrace, it's my first year in UCC but I can only imagine how bad it was before when they were busy building and there was so much less space.

It was OK until about the third week we had off recently and then it's been a struggle to find anyway to study, especially somewhere quiet.

I see that from tomorrow on there will be the slip system where if you're gone more than 30 mins you're stuff will be removed.

Where do they hold all the Exams?

I know there's the Mardyke, Neptune Stadium, FSB A1, the student Centre and Kampus Kitchen(and sometimes the labs in FSB Block E) but surely that isn't enough for what 17,000 students?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The library is a disgrace, it's my first year in UCC but I can only imagine how bad it was before when they were busy building and there was so much less space.

Yeah, imagine it without the barriers keeping all those pesky leaving cert students out. The queue used to be 50 or 60 deep before the Boole opened each morning. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 24 IBeTheProphet

Ah the library ... The constant clicking of keypads, the Ipods up to the max, the ruffling of popcorn bags, the 'OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG's of the commerce girls, the 'you've got to see this' Youtube brigade ... Ah the library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 originalcupcake

Ah the library ... The constant clicking of keypads, the Ipods up to the max, the ruffling of popcorn bags, the 'OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG's of the commerce girls, the 'you've got to see this' Youtube brigade ... Ah the library.

^^its almost like poetry...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 uskidsgo

I was in the library today and there was a guy with his iPod on full blast and he was actually singing along to it!!

• Advertisement

uskidsgo wrote: »
    I was in the library today and there was a guy with his iPod on full blast and he was actually singing along to it!!

Heh. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

And I havent started to study yet :p

Only screwed...lets hope that the 3 day rule will work this year again, ie you can learn or do anything in 3 days:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

Library has been fierce quiet the last couple of days; so much for the panic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭fattestman

Earplugs, earplugs, earplugs!!!

Only fiddy cent in the An Stad. There's an absolute godsend. Stick those bad boys in your ears and you'll enter your own little study zone.

Praise be the earplugs.:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

why dont you collect what books you want from the library and head to the nursing building? i finished nursing last year and they unlocked loads of rooms around the building and the library there was never full, and always quite. us docs and nurses are a serious bunch:p i know its a bit out of the way but its better then sitting near a group of girls "whispering" OMG did you study THAT?? i didnt study that followed by more twittering over something stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

A word of advice. If anyone is still studying and looking for a place other than the library to get some quiet, be wary of the G20 in Kane. Over the past few weeks at least 2 people have had their bags stolen after leaving the room for short periods. Turns out its a bit of a hotspot for looters, which is a shame cos its a great place for study. So if you're in there keep your belongings with you at all times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Rich89

Not in ucc yet, doing the leaving. I noticed there someone said something about leaving cert students going in. To burst your bubble and probably annoy you but I have a load of friends who borrow id cards and go in there!

Im not one of them but I was wondering is it a scanning thing with the cards? Or are they just lying to me? lol

Rich89 wrote: »
    Not in ucc yet, doing the leaving. I noticed there someone said something about leaving cert students going in. To burst your bubble and probably annoy you but I have a load of friends who borrow id cards and go in there!

Im not one of them but I was wondering is it a scanning thing with the cards? Or are they just lying to me? lol
    Yeah you just swipe your card, no one checks the photo

I dont mind the LC students, as long as they are nice hot girls

Rich89 wrote: »
    To burst your bubble and probably annoy you but I have a load of friends who borrow id cards and go in there!

Yes, but there's far less than there used to be, which is an improvement. A couple getting in doesn't matter, especially when the library is quiet. What matters is numbers using the library and there being enough space, once there's enough space it doesn't really matter who is using it.

I dont mind the LC students, as long as they are nice hot girls

Sorry to disappoint
    :p

Advertisement