Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows on a different pc

• 22-04-2008 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

I bought windows 2 years ago at this stage, XP pro. The computer i registered it on is now in the bin. Is there any way i can now install that on another computer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

If it's the full retail boxed version then yes you can. The OEM versions cannot be transferred though. The licence dies with the machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i wouldn't say that exactly. it CAN be transferred, it's just not legal to do so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

So i cant ring up microsoft and tell them that I have got rid of my computer with xp on it? (its gone to the recycling centre with a destroyed hard drive)

Will it just not let me register it when its on the other computer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

sternn wrote: »

It all depends on the licence. Is it an OEM of full retail licence? If it's OEM, then you won't be able to activate it on the new PC. If it's full retail, you should be able to activate it. Probably won't activate over the Internet, as it's previously been activated, but if you ring the activation line and tell them the old computer has been scrapped, they should give you a new activation number.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i wouldn't say that exactly. it CAN be transferred, it's just not legal to do so

Thats why I didn't say it.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sternn wrote: »
    So i cant ring up microsoft and tell them that I have got rid of my computer with xp on it? (its gone to the recycling centre with a destroyed hard drive)

Don't forget that microsoft outsource call centres so the person you talk to may no be a microsoft employee.

OEM license is bound to the Motherboard and lives/dies with it.
    There are plenty of free OS's around - Ubuntu 8 is just about to be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭glomar

I would agree with what the others say if its oem is bound to the machine it was installed on .

Using an oem cd on another manufacturers pc will not work either as the oem cd's look for the manafacturers id in the bios so if its say a dell and your installing on a hp it will say no way your not a dell system .

glomar wrote: »
    I would agree with what the others say if its oem is bound to the machine it was installed on .

Using an oem cd on another manufacturers pc will not work either as the oem cd's look for the manafacturers id in the bios so if its say a dell and your installing on a hp it will say no way your not a dell system .

No it won't. It will install but won't activate.

glomar wrote: »

That's only true for branded OEM discs. Generic OEM discs will install on whatever the hell you want once you have the licence.

For boxed retail copies of Windows XP, the activation server discards the activation data if the server hasn't been contacted for 120 days (Source). So you can activate it on another machine without a hitch though its entirely illegal to do so unless it has been removed from the old machine beforehand.

Advertisement