Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being bullied at work....

Options
  • 23-04-2008 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

..Or at least I'm pretty sure I am!
    I work part-time to help me pay for my car and travel to uni etc and to be a it more independent and I do rely on the money I earn, but my boss over the last few months has become increasingly unbearable and harder to work for. She sets me unreasonable tasks that I can hardly ever get done as I have so many other things to be coping with. She publically reprimands me and talks me down, she points out any tiny flaws in my work but rarely gives me praise (even though I recently was praised by another manager for being a good worker). I have even had my personal property moved without my consent or permission, and not been paid the right wage one week even after bringing up the issue with another manager (as I often don't work with the boss in question). I was promoted a year or so ago so I'm pretty sure I work as well as I can. At Christmas I completely overworked myself (some nights I stayed till 2am to get all my jobs done) and no I feel completely demotivated and fed up. I don't want to leave and start somewhere else from scratch.

My boss is the sort of woman who if you address a problem with, she will completely tear into me and make out that the problems are because of me. I'm worried that if I do make a complaint against her she'll make my life a living hell.

It has got so bad now that I don't sleep well the night before I go into work and constantly worry about not getting my work done. She also threatens all the staff of "instant dismissal" for trivial things like not having enough people to sign up for catalogues each week, so a lot of my colleagues aren't happy with her either, but whether they'd accompany me in making a complaint is another thing!

I just feel like this can't go on any longer, and I've made a lot of friends, so the last resort would be to leave (and probably make it easy for her). So please, any advice on this would be great :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Can you talk to her about this? Explain to her how she is making you sick she treats you so badly?

If she tells you to **** off or whatever, escalate it to her boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well she's definitely not the most approachable of managers sadly! She would bitch about you behind your back if you were to discuss any problems with her, and as you said she'd probably tell me where to go.. she's the most senior manager in my work, so if I was to take it further, it'd be the area manager from head office (who happens to love her).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

life's too short, escalate to her boss if nothing comes within a week or two hit the road

too many good jobs/opportunites for hardworkers out there to put up with that nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

^-- I would agree with this.

Sometimes it's easier to get out of the difficult situation instead of trying to half-resolve it or take legal action.

It's a part-time job, so I'm assuming you haven't invested a huge amount of time or effort into it.

Your situation sucks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah, I've been there nearly three years (it's been my only part- time job) which makes me even more reluctant to leave. A few of my co-workers kind of half discussed having some sort of an unofficial private meeting about the problems we've been having, is there anything wrong with doing this? Only thing is that there are 1 or 2 snitches who would probably run off to tell her if we did. It wouldn't be held in the workplace, but maybe a pub or somewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement