Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject choices for Second Year Arts

Options
  • 23-04-2008 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Anyone got any recommendations on what subjects to pick,or what subjects definitely NOT to pick? I will probably pick one Major and one Minor. Also does it really matter which subjects you choose,or is the degree the same regardless?I mean,I can't imagine potential employers being too impressed when they see I Majored in Film Studies! Should I take the reliable route and pick something like English? I haven't taken first year all that seriously and am panicking now,I have to choose by Friday! I need some advice fellow Arts-doers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Hey UCD dude, I'm in second year Arts. Doing English myself actually. Great course but gets pretty hard. Huge workload so if you decide to pick English make sure you keep up on ALL the reading!! That was what I found the hardest!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

If you minor in something you cannot teach that subject. Just incase I have to when I graduate I could teach Classical Studies and History in secondary school. I'm in second year ATM, do the joint major, its your best bet IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 el_barty

Is the Arts degree the last qualification you intend to get in your life? Probably not. Employers who think you are good enough will give you vocational training on the job, or there are plenty of vocational postgraduate level courses available in accountancy, journalism, law... whatever you decide you want to go into later on. So don't worry too much about the subjects (employers never do), just pick two that you enjoy and can see yourself working at for the next two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Gotta agree with el_barty

I'd recommend history :)

Also, for an elective -- do Introduction to Cognitive Science, with Fred Cummins! It's an excellent course, and not too taxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

If you minor in something you cannot teach that subject. Just incase I have to when I graduate I could teach Classical Studies and History in secondary school. I'm in second year ATM, do the joint major, its your best bet IMO.

Really? I'd never heard that. There were plenty of teachers in school who taught English/History/Geography and I'm sure they didn't do a triple major?

edit: oh, and history is great, if you pick the right modules. The core ones tend to suck a bit though, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I've heard different too - my friend was researching it as she did an arts degree and with a HDip she was able to teach any subject she took for first year to junior cert honours level so I'm guessing with a minor you should be at least able to do that.

She also did Arts in UCC where you take 4 first year subjects so she's well covered for many subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 UCD dude

Hmm well I'l probably do English as a major anyway,just to be safe.I'm pretty good at the subject and I'd say it's a more respectable subject than something like Drama Studies anyway.For my minor or elective I'd like to do somethign that I enjoy but I'm still not sure,if for example I pick something like Film Studies or Ancient Greek and Roman civilisations,both of which I enjoy studying,could that choice come back to haunt me when I go looking for a decent job? Basically I need to know if it makes a big difference to employers what subjects I studied! Please reply I need to know before tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

UCD dude wrote:
    Basically I need to know if it makes a big difference to employers what subjects I studied! Please reply I need to know before tomorrow!
    It shouldn't, you'll be able to do training courses, see el_barty's post ;)

My advice, do what you like. You'll hate college if you spend the next two years doing a subject you don't like, and it's pretty unlikely you'll do as good at a subject you hate as you would a subject you like. Think of it this way, what's better, a first in film studies or a fail in economics?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

Yeah, definitely just do what you're interested in. None of the subjects in Arts are going to be helpful for jobs in terms of relevancy unless you're going for something related to them, and respectability definitely doesn't come into it. It's more about the skills you pick up, analytical/argumentative etc. And you'll pick these up no matter what you're doing.
    So it doesn't really matter which specific subjects you pick, at the end of the day you'll just have a BA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 UCD dude

Alright, its lookin like a Major in English with a Minor in Film Studies.Then something fun as an elective.I just hope this serves me well!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭stopyourshoppin

well film studies should impress employers cos it's not that easy! it's pretty involved and you are studying it in depth, it's not just watching films. if you are interested just do it. in my experience most employers just see the word "DEGREE" and their eyes glaze over ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

ianthefox wrote: »
    Really? I'd never heard that. There were plenty of teachers in school who taught English/History/Geography and I'm sure they didn't do a triple major?

edit: oh, and history is great, if you pick the right modules. The core ones tend to suck a bit though, unfortunately.

I was told by a programme officer you need 70 credits to teach the subjects at second level at an academic advisory thing last year. So 1st year major 20 credits + 2nd year major =25 credits +3rd year major = 25 credits, gives you 70 credits. I am just saying what I was told so I am open to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

It wouldn't really make sense though ebcause people with joint honours degrees can teach both subjects.

They'd probably do 20 of each in each of the three years, making 60, then they'd have to take 4 of the 6 electives in those subjects to be allowed teach it.

And that's not considering most take 3 subjects in first year, with two electives.

Advertisement