Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political Police...?

Options
  • 23-04-2008 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Just something I'm curious about, and perhaps a stupid question, but can a police officer or a member of AGS be a member of a political party? Or a member of a group such as Amnesty? Are there lists of organisations that an officer may and may not be a part of? Can officers take part in legal demonstrations when off duty? Am particularly interested in the situation with the PSNI and AGS...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Fiacmar wrote: »
    Just something I'm curious about, and perhaps a stupid question, but can a police officer or a member of AGS be a member of a political party? Or a member of a group such as Amnesty? Are there lists of organisations that an officer may and may not be a part of? Can officers take part in legal demonstrations when off duty? Am particularly interested in the situation with the PSNI and AGS...

PSNI officers can't be members of any political parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭hammy140

Our oath on attestation for AGS forbids us to be a part of any political organistion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

No we cannot be a member or openly support a party. we cannot be an active participant in anything that may impact on our jobs which includes a lot of organisations, past times and second jobs.

Amnesty would defo be out considering they inspect gardai and are usually critical.

However charity work and involvement in local activities such as youth clubs is encouraged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Fiacmar

Pretty much what I expected, and all as it should be I guess. Thanks to hammy, karlito and PSNI for clearing that up.

Advertisement