Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing a new bike from the UK

• 23-04-2008 1:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭

As the pound slowly drops in value, I'm looking to see if anyone has experience of importing new bikes from the UK. Some of the bikes I'm interested in are quite a bit cheaper there even after the VRT is added.

Two questions: 1. Generally, how well are warranties honoured in Ireland on imported bikes?
    and 2. VAT: As anti-European as it seems, the Revenue site seems to indicate that you have to pay VAT in full even if VAT is paid in another state. Is it a big problem to get a UK dealer to sell without the VAT for export?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Have a look here:

http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=30368

You'll have a hard time buying wholesale though... Just buy nearly new, dodge the VAT and the first big depreciation hit ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Thanks for the reply Tayto. Unfortunately that thread is mainly about importing second-hand bikes.

I know that you don't have to pay Irish VAT when the bike has 6k on the clock and is 6 months old - but I like to waste my money on fresh bikes. And the owner of a nearly-new bike will already have paid 17.5% UK VAT.

I don't need to get one wholesale (you'd get dealer discount but would have to pay VAT there anyway) just want to know if UK dealers are willing and able to sell for export and not charge VAT on the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

Popeleo wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Tayto. Unfortunately that thread is mainly about importing second-hand bikes.

I know that you don't have to pay Irish VAT when the bike has 6k on the clock and is 6 months old - but I like to waste my money on fresh bikes. And the owner of a nearly-new bike will already have paid 17.5% UK VAT.

I don't need to get one wholesale (you'd get dealer discount but would have to pay VAT there anyway) just want to know if UK dealers are willing and able to sell for export and not charge VAT on the sale.

afaik, a UK dealer will export to ireland minus the UK VAT only if you are registered for VAT here in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I was looking into this very recently. If you are VAT registered or know someone who is, the dealer can sell it ex VAT.

The alternative, in theory, is that you pay the VAT in the UK, register it here paying the VRT and VAT, and then claim a VAT refund in the UK. There's a UK Revenue office in Newry where you could do this.

Again, in theory, this should be pretty straightforward, but I didn't have time to investigate it. If you are considering buying new over there, the parallel importers have some very good deals. DK Motorcycles is one place I checked out, there's also KJM Superbikes.

To be honest, when I got to this stage in the process, I just decided to buy nearly new to avoid the hassle of trying to get a refund. If you buy used, the bike has to be over 6 months old AND have more than 6000kms on the clock. If it doesn't fulfil both conditions it is considered new and you must pay VAT.

I just bought a one year old low miles bike and saved around 1500- 2000 euro on the price I'd have paid here, including VRT and ferry/transportation costs. Also came with a full service history, was in immaculate condition, and the dealer was very helpful.

Good luck, and if you do buy new and get the VAT refunded, post the details here please :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Hmm..did some digging and found this on the UK Revenue and Customs site, it appears to indicate that even non-VAT registered individuals can buy exclusive of VAT if the dealer and buyer fill out the forms they mention below. If this is true, and it seems pretty straightforward, then it would make it very easy to do:

(from http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/consumers-vehicle.htm#2)

"Exporting your motor vehicle to another EU country from the UK

If you buy a new motor vehicle in the UK to take to somewhere else in the EU, you'll have to pay VAT on the vehicle in the other country when you arrive there. You won't have to pay UK VAT when you buy the car if you do all three of these things:

* you or your authorised chauffeur personally take delivery of the new vehicle in the UK
    * you export it within two months of its supply to you
    * you and your supplier complete and sign form VAT 411 and send it to the address on the form"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Thanks for the info Lukester. I'll be in the UK in a couple of weeks, so I'll compare prices here and there and start shopping.

I'll let you know how I get on if I go through with it.

Advertisement