Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wolverhamptireland

• 23-04-2008 1:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

The match report from the Wolves/Cardiff game tonight made for some interesting reading. Looks like McCarthy is 'doing a Keane' and building his own little Irish dynasty at Molineaux. Bolded are the Irish players involved tonight -
    Wolverhampton: Hennessey, Foley (Collins 87), Breen, Craddock, Elokobi, Kightly (Stephen Ward 60), Olofinjana, Gibson, Jarvis (Elliott 76), Keogh, Ebanks-Blake.
    Subs Not Used: Stack, Eastwood.

That's 7 out of the 16 players involved.
    Andy Keogh put the home side ahead with his 11th goal of the season after eight minutes heading home Kevin Foley's cross from the right.

Wolves ran out comfortable 3-0 winners in the end and still have an outside shot at making the playoffs.

What I'm wondering is if they were to go up, would the hatred of the anti-Sundireland brigade (of which I'm one) be afforded to them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Well I'm waiting on their results to see if they make it to the prem and if so planning on booking a few trips over there asap

Also looking forward to buying their jersey for next season

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Nah.....Wolverhamptireland doesn't have the same ring to it as Sundireland.

Also, McCarthey is "English", and you aren't as likley to see Wolves shirts popping up around the country at the same rate as you see Sunderland, i.e. in every Boyle Sports in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I dont think the "hatred" for Sunderland is simply down to the fact that there are a lot of Irish player and staff involved.

Its more down to the fact that the Irish Media jumped on the bandwagon and a lot of Irish fans suddenly became Sunderland fans overnight. (A feat which i will never in my life understand, you support 1 team, plain and simple you may enjoy watching football and other teams play...but your heart can only belong to 1)
    Mick McCarthy doesnt hold the same ratings advantage as Roy Keane and Niall Quinn do, so unless Wolves suddenly do something REALLY special in the premiership (if they make it) then they will go largely un noticed by the media and those "football fans" who support Sunderland (for the moment)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Has anyone been watching them? How is Gibson doing? He looked like he had some talent in United reserves, but he's never gona make it at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Only time I've seen Gibson properly was in that Ireland/Scotland 'B' international and he was one of the best players on the park.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Hennessey, Foley (Collins 87), Breen, Craddock, Elokobi, Kightly (Stephen Ward 60), Olofinjana, Gibson, Jarvis (Elliott 76), Keogh, Ebanks-Blake.
    Subs Not Used: Stack, Eastwood.

Are you sure Olofinjana isn't Irish?! I'm pretty sure I know his mother, Maureen Olofinjana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Went to the match last week against West Brom, if they actually get to the Premier League (which i dont think they will this season) they will be probably worse than Derby. I never seen so many players on a professional level not want the ball! Maybe it was just the big derby game that had them nervous etc, but they looked really bad.
    However they seem to have a good bit of untouched money to invest, not sure what McCarthys reasoning for not spending it was, so maybe they will be strong next year (if they remain in the C'ship)

Ibanks-Blake looks very good. really strong and fast and eager to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's nothing to do with the Irish players, Keane or the City of Sunderland for me.

It's the fact that Quinn and his consortium creeped their way into the Irish market.

It's the fact that while Irish football is on it's knees, we have football "fans" travelling over to see a shíte team playing, planes full of these gobshítes every week with their SundIreland T-Shirts, their "tricolours" and their absolutely hilarious green wigs and inflatable hammers.

I swear to god, the real Sunderland fans, the people from Sunderland, must be cringing. Sure, welcome the money, I'd take it for my club, no doubt about it, no problem taking money off idiots. But my jaysis, do they have to be so blatant in their idiocy?

This "ah shure yed have to have a bit o' interesht in dim". WHY?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Eirebear wrote: »
    and a lot of Irish fans suddenly became Sunderland fans overnight.
    I've yet to meet one of those "fans" that you speak of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I've yet to meet one of those "fans" that you speak of.
    Go to Dublin airport some saturday morning.

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »
    Will do. Although I might wait until I'm actually going away somewhere.

This "ah shure yed have to have a bit o' interesht in dim". WHY?
    It's been done to death already but the reason why I like to see Sunderland do well is because there's a lot of Irish lads on the team and if Sunderland do well it has a knock on affect on the Irish team. Same way I like to see Reading do well, and the same way I like to see Robbie Keane do well at Spurs, and the same way I like to see Dunne and Ireland do well at City, etc.

I'd never change my support to a different club over night but I really don't give a sh1t if someone else wants to, it's their money and their time and they're entitled to with it what they like.

People complaining that Quinn and his like are taking money out of Ireland and investing it in a foreign league when he should be investing back home, why the fvck should he?
    A) He made his name/money in England, and
    B) He obviously doesn't see the EL as investable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wolverhampton Wanderers will never be "hip" as they never have been. While I hope they make through the play-offs Steve Morgan will have to get his check book out during the summer and I question McCarthys ability to mix it in the Prem of course.

Michael Kightly is a cracking player, they need a few more of that quality.

Mike.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is it in these clubs' best interests to get promoted in the knowledge that they'll come straight back down? Is it acceptable for a Championship-level club to just faff away a season and run with the cash back down to their level? What's in it for the fans of Derby and the three likely yoyos in next season's Premiership to play one embarassing season in the top level and come back to the Championship a few quid richer?

I couldn't 'support' a team that obviously wasn't trying, whatever their players' nationalities.

Well judging by the amount of money Niall Quinn's consortium have spent this time and intend on spending I don't think they have any intentions on faffing around, unlike the last time Sunderland came up and went down.

It depends on the owner's intentions really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

what team do you travel to see on a saturday morning to be in dublin airport then?
    or maybe you work there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i used to live in wolves so id definitely head over for a few games if they go up, and im a villa fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I swear to god, the real Sunderland fans, the people from Sunderland, must be cringing. Sure, welcome the money, I'd take it for my club, no doubt about it, no problem taking money off idiots. But my jaysis, do they have to be so blatant in their idiocy?

They absolutely love it Des. I've met Sunderland fans in Dublin the last two weeks running, it seems to have created some sort of a bizarre knock-on effect for the Irish tourist industry.

I was standing at a bus stop for the bus to Waterford and two lads walked by, one noticed the sign, walked back, and said to his mate...

"Waterford? Isn't that where we got Darryl Murphy from?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    They absolutely love it Des. I've met Sunderland fans in Dublin the last two weeks running, it seems to have created some sort of a bizarre knock-on effect for the Irish tourist industry.

I was standing at a bus stop for the bus to Waterford and two lads walked by, one noticed the sign, walked back, and said to his mate...

"Waterford? Isn't that where we got Darryl Murphy from?"

Did they have a large sack with them and ask you to bring it with you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Ahh Wolves

Forever famous for this great piece of commentary. "And its Bull with the ball, Steve Bull, Bullsh1t, GOAL!!!!!":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

my dads a massive wolves fan so i've been over to Molineaux a few times.

besides the current irish contingent, Denis Irwin and Robbie Keane started plying their trades there aswell. theres actually a good few irish wolves fans about, although they dont exactly "advertise" it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Denis Irwin ended his career there. Keane started it and its a pity 5 million from Coventry saw him leave.

Mike.

Advertisement