Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Planes of Existence

• 23-04-2008 4:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,647 ✭✭✭✭

wow nobody's posted here in over two weeks o_0

I had this thought earlier so im just committing it to text before I sleep.

Higher Planes of existence: we believe they exist; some people believe in ascension and so on and so forth.

Mathematicians signify that we exist in 3, or the 3rd, dimension.

So that means that there are 2 planes of existence beneath our own, 2d and 1d.

1d can be represented by a line. 2d can be represented as a line which splits off into an infinite number of other lines along a plane: hence we get the x,y graph as we know it and then at any point along this graph we can traverse in a new dimension, z (in the 3rd dimension)

Now the 4th dimension as I understand it is how time is denoted. Hence, Time is a single 1 dimensional line where at each point you have a 3d space.

Above this you have multiple timelines or a 2d graph of potential timelines that can run in parallel or intersect with our own along the i and j axes.

at any point in this 2d time/space you can find a 3rd dimension k. Like the 3rd dimension this 6th dimension allows an exponential leap in diversity in space/time.

so what would the 7th dimension be? We know it would contain at any point along its 1 dimensional line, a 3d state of time, of which contains a 3d state of space. Which can then diverge into an 8th and 9th dimension..

My head hurts :o

The point of this being if we believe in ascension then we have to believe that we, as individuals, at some time existed in the 1st and concurrently 2nd dimensions. However we obviously have no knowledge or remembrance of this. Hence, if we even believe in a higher plane of existence like Heaven or whatever; how do we justify that our current lives would have any bearing on our 4th dimensional existence; and would we even remember any of this?

It reminds me of hearing the phenomena about your life flashing before your eyes at the time of your death. Is that what happens during the transition between the 4th and 3rd dimensions? During the transition are you able to visit any 4d coordinate that your 3d counterpart existed?

Again, my head hurts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Overheal wrote: »
    Mathematicians signify that we exist in 3, or the 3rd, dimension.

So that means that there are 2 planes of existence beneath our own, 2d and 1d.

I'd be inclined to think that the lower dimensions don't exist outside of our space-time but that they are within it. Likewise, the higher dimensions are all around us but we are only capable of seing in 3d space-time.

Think of the spectrum of light. Only a small section is visible. Now think of a spectrum of dimesnions. We can only observe 1-3 of space and 1 of time.
    Now the 4th dimension as I understand it is how time is denoted. Hence, Time is a single 1 dimensional line where at each point you have a 3d space.

Personally, I'm not so sure about this definition. There is no other place where space can be where it was in a different state. It's always in the same place, but constantly changing. There isn't a tracer left by the present moment into the past. It's possible that time is a result of memory.

Another way to look at it is that time is relative. All time has happened but we are stuck in this time perception. Imagine a flies time perception compared to a human (or hours going past in a dream in only 5 seconds), then stretch it to each extreme. You should end up with time frozen on one side and infinite time on the other.
    Above this you have multiple timelines or a 2d graph of potential timelines that can run in parallel or intersect with our own along the i and j axes.

So at this stage we have 3 space and 2 time dimension?
    This is free will territory. Where there is not just one timeline which is totally predetermined by past space states. Different timelines can branch off from this 1d time we perceive.
    at any point in this 2d time/space you can find a 3rd dimension k. Like the 3rd dimension this 6th dimension allows an exponential leap in diversity in space/time.

My imagination fails me here! :confused:

If the time dimensions are similar to those of space, why is it that they move in only one direction. The third time dimension may allow us to jump from 2d timelines.

Instead of repeating some other people's good ideas here're some interesting links:
    http://www.tenthdimension.com/flash2.php
    http://tetraspace.alkaline.org/page2.htm
    http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/pickover/fourth.html
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html
    http://greensboring.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6852

It's interesting how a four dimensional object intersecting our 3d world will appear as a sphere. This reminded me of quantum particles. These may not jump out into a different dimension but may be four dimensional objects passing through our 3d one.

All the best.
    AD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,647 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ah but what says time is unidirectional?

Thanks for the 2d time addition though: free will. My head is swelling less :D
    Personally, I'm not so sure about this definition. There is no other place where space can be where it was in a different state. It's always in the same place, but constantly changing.

This is how it would be in a 4 dimensional computer model though. at every point along the 4th dimension there would be a container for a 3-dimensional state. Each 3rd dimension would store a 2-dimensional state, and each 2nd dimension would store a 1-dimensional state.

Its when you start to access these states in sequence that you land on the flow of time and space.
    The third time dimension may allow us to jump from 2d timelines.

Exactly!

so at the first dimension you have predetermination, at the 2nd dimension you have free will and at the 3rd dimension of time you have... well, something.

Ah but what says time is unidirectional?

We do! :) ...well, some of us.
    I'm inclined to think that memory results in a unidirectional time perception. Not necessarily making it so.
    This is how it would be in a 4 dimensional computer model though. at every point along the 4th dimension there would be a container for a 3-dimensional state. Each 3rd dimension would store a 2-dimensional state, and each 2nd dimension would store a 1-dimensional state.

Its when you start to access these states in sequence that you land on the flow of time and space.

How does the 3rd dimension store a 2-dimensional state? Would it not have a sequence of 3-dimensional freeze frames?
    I'm not familiar with computer modelling.
    so at the first dimension you have predetermination, at the 2nd dimension you have free will and at the 3rd dimension of time you have... well, something.

Time travel? This is a real head-wrecker :pac: Needs more thought.

Good luck.
    AD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Personally, I'm inclined to take a view that time has no existence and is merely a way in which we conceptualise change. All that exists is the present. The past is just a trace in our memory, the future is our hopes and expectations.
    All time is measured relative to movement or change, be it the movement of a pendulum, the earth, the moon or some atomic oscillation. The change is real or as near real as we can get, the time is merely the measure.
    We cant travel in time because there is no time to travel to. We cannot travel to the past because the past does not exist.
    This particular view of time is called presentism.

Joe1919 wrote: »
    Personally, I'm inclined to take a view that time has no existence and is merely a way in which we conceptualise change. All that exists is the present. The past is just a trace in our memory, the future is our hopes and expectations.
    All time is measured relative to movement or change, be it the movement of a pendulum, the earth, the moon or some atomic oscillation. The change is real or as near real as we can get, the time is merely the measure.
    We cant travel in time because there is no time to travel to. We cannot travel to the past because the past does not exist.
    This particular view of time is called presentism.

That's a great view of time.
    I was playing with this idea a long time ago and came to the idea of chronoverses. If you actually travelled in time with the presentism model you'd end up in a different spatial dimension.
    Think of it like, all matter is flowing and we are viewing it in this configuration.
    Move in time slightly in one direction and it's in a different configuration.
    But this is total speculation backed up by my imagination and little to no grasp of physics.
    ie. There are different 'nows'.
    Overheal wrote:
    The point of this being if we believe in ascension then we have to believe that we, as individuals, at some time existed in the 1st and concurrently 2nd dimensions. However we obviously have no knowledge or remembrance of this. Hence, if we even believe in a higher plane of existence like Heaven or whatever; how do we justify that our current lives would have any bearing on our 4th dimensional existence; and would we even remember any of this?

Back to this. Interesting "spiritual" take.
    If this were true I'd say our past existences would have as much bearing on the future as whatever dream you had last night. And I think our memory of it would be similar to that of our dreams.

Short video about near death experiences:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGZTvRobTYA

All the best.
    AD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

i'd agree with Joe.

Time is merely a perception. Along with space.

I think its plausible to think we exist in all dimensions at the same time in consciousness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Julian Barbour, a physicist from the UK, has developed an interesting ontology which removes time from the equation. He has a book out called "The End of Time" which is well worth reading.

You can also get the gist of his ideas here from this video:

http://noorderlicht.vpro.nl/afleveringen/2380593/

Launch the second video (i.e. not the one that says "smalband")

davej

18AD wrote:
    How does the 3rd dimension store a 2-dimensional state? Would it not have a sequence of 3-dimensional freeze frames?
    I'm not familiar with computer modelling.

In computer programming there are Vectors and there are arrays. a 3D array is denoted as (x,y,z). A 3D Array is denoted as [x][y][z]. A 1 dimensional array of 3 elements would be [1,2,3].

So in the time/space model I have proposed you have a 9Dimensional Array as [3Dvector][3Dvector][3Dvector][3Dvector][3Dvector][3Dvector][3Dvector][3Dvector][3Dvector].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 spikedimitri

Hi guys. I'm new here and I've just read through the thread. This stuff is a head melter! :eek:
    I've come across a lot of stuff on the multi-dimentional nature of existence in conspiracy research, but I'm not a mathematician and it's a bit of an imagination stretcher.

Overheal said: So in the time/space model I have proposed you have a 9Dimensional Array as [3Dvector][3Dvector][3Dvector][3Dvector][3Dvector][3Dvector][3Dvector][3Dvector][3Dvector].

I wonder if you've come across Barbara Hand Clow's work on the 9 dimentions? She's an astrologer and Mayan shaman so her scientific analysis, while extensive, is second-hand. Her focus is primarily on human consciousness (3D perception). But she does goes into a lot of detail of the other nine dimentions potentially accessable to us, ie: the 1st through to the 9th.

The spatial locations for these (in terms of 3D percetion not 3D materialism!) are the Iron ore crystal in the centre of our planet (1D) and the black hole at the centre of our galaxy (9D).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Don't have time to read through all the posts so don't know if this has been mentioned already, but if you are interested in this topic I suggest you read a very short book called "Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions," by Edwin Abbott. It's a short novel, funny and interesting.

Don't have time to read through all the posts so don't know if this has been mentioned already, but if you are interested in this topic I suggest you read a very short book called "Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions," by Edwin Abbott. It's a short novel, funny and interesting.

I haven't read the book but I've just seen one of the movie adaptions. There're two out at the moment.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0814106/
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0121289/

Good luck.
    AD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

was the film any good?

was the film any good?

I only saw the second one I linked to above.
    There are some underlying political themes and cultural views presented in it. Also, when they are trying to convince the 3d universe that there may be a 4d universe it can get a bit tedious.
    But overall, I'd say it's worth the watch. I'd enjoy seeing the other version. Apparently it tones down some of the themes I mentioned... and it looks prettier!

All the best.
    AD.

I was reading another forum and... I think what I was talking about in the OP: I think its String Theory.

Funny when you discover things for yourself that are already done to death.

I was reading another forum and... I think what I was talking about in the OP: I think its String Theory.

Funny when you discover things for yourself that are already done to death.

www.tenthdimension.com

String theory:
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html
    http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/251

I'm not familiar enough with the theory behind it to discuss it. It's a very interesting theory from what I can gather.

Enjoy.
    AD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

indeed a head melter,just what i need:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Dog Fan

For one explanation of extra dimensions try Ian. M. Banks book, 'Excession'. It's a bit long winded but at one point delves into explaining other dimensions. that and Ian is a good read. Problem is, I usually need at least two attempts before I can understand what he was on about!

New to all this. Interesting Forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭stink_fist

Humans have a tendency to believe that they can understand anything and everything, that they would be able to comprehend higher forms of existence without being one is a perfect example. All we know is ourselves, projections of light and countless distractions from an unnatural system disconnects us from ourselves and restricts us from heightening our own consciousness, the only time that the majorities consciousness heightens is when they enter RAM slept, take “illegal” substances or the few moments before death, if you want to understand higher forms of existence, then try to understand yourselves better.

http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/Pickover/pc/brain-universe.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I wonder if you've come across Barbara Hand Clow's work on the 9 dimentions? She's an astrologer and Mayan shaman so her scientific analysis, while extensive, is second-hand. Her focus is primarily on human consciousness (3D perception). But she does goes into a lot of detail of the other nine dimentions potentially accessable to us, ie: the 1st through to the 9th.

The spatial locations for these (in terms of 3D percetion not 3D materialism!) are the Iron ore crystal in the centre of our planet (1D) and the black hole at the centre of our galaxy (9D).

If she's an astrologer then anything she claims to be 'scientific analysis' is likely to be nothing of the sort.

Anyone interested in getting a bit of a handle on higher spatial dimensions try Michio Kaku's book 'Hyperspace'. If you never heard of him, look him up on wiki!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭extrinzic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement