Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are you a girl?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

farohar wrote: »
    (don't let her read this! I don't want an angry Thaedydal hunting me down for putting the idea in her daughter's head!:()
    *crosses fingers that she'll ask to have her room painted pink*:D

It is her Dad did it for her one weekend I was away.
    Ah... I see. Can't really come up with any decent & realistic (factoring in kid behaviour at least) suggestions to that problem. :confused:

Her climbing walls and trees is not a problem only that doing in a dress is not practical.

But should we be teaching and encouraging kids to denote people's gender based on what colours they wear and if they wear shirts/dresses ?

Should a person's gender matter to children ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Thaedydal wrote: »
    But should we be teaching and encouraging kids to denote people's gender based on what colours they wear and if they wear shirts/dresses ?

Should gender matter? Not really but it's part of psychological development in that both genders go through a phase where they tend not to want to associate with the other gender, where in society do they get this from, adults certainly don't encourage it (afterall many regularly see mummy and daddy hugging)?

Should choice of clothing denote gender, again, not really but generalisations is how the human mind works, if we couldn't make them it would drastically slow down learning. Imagine having looking for directions in a town in the country, if you couldn't make the generalisation that most people in Ireland speak English you'd be going up to everyone: "Sorry, do you speak English?" and getting some darned funny looks as a result, heck even the assumption that anyone you speak to would be from the area is based on a generalisation. As long as we are able to realise and accept that there are exceptions to the general it is not a big issue, as these kids grow they will develop that ability.

Come to think of it the amount of generalisations applied to how a child should develop and how a parent should encourage the development (e.g. ween at ..., potty train at ..., send to school at ..., etc....), you see the point, without the reference frame of generalisations we'd all still be bumping about in the dark, trying to figure out how to stay warm and why we feel more comfortable sometimes (when in our cave) and not others (when out in the cold). While equality, and blindness to the differences between the genders, is a worthy goal there is a limit to how far it can push short of mass genital mutilations and hormone therapy to keep us all completely androgenous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Should gender matter? Not really but it's part of psychological development in that both genders go through a phase where they tend not to want to associate with the other gender, where in society do they get this from, adults certainly don't encourage it (afterall many regularly see mummy and daddy hugging)?

Not every child has this, I didn't and neither do my kids, they don't thus far have the need to exclude other kids based on gender.
    Come to think of it the amount of generalisations applied to how a child should develop and how a parent should encourage the development (e.g. ween at ..., potty train at ..., send to school at ..., etc....),

See that is something all parents learn there is not exact plan or map which which a child goes from point a to point b, they get there in their own time and there is a wide bell curve for what is normal developmentally and for acquiring certain skills. People will say that children start to walk around about when they are 1 year old but the facts are it could between 10 months and 18months so that is a 8 months spread in which it is 'normal' for a child to start walking.
    While equality, and blindness to the differences between the genders, is a worthy goal there is a limit to how far it can push short of mass genital mutilations and hormone therapy to keep us all completely androgenous.

I don't see it as blindness to differences but as to acceptance of differences so that while it maybe different to who why are ie person of the gender opposite to who they are but the important part is person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Some stories this made me think of:
    When I was young, right before I entered kindergarten, my brother slimed me one day with some of that Ghostbuster's slime (I was four, he was six). It got stuck in my hair. He tried to cut it out before my parents noticed, and I ended up with half of my hair long and the other half at almost a buzz cut. I entered kindergarten with very short hair. I don't remember getting any questions of, "Are you a girl?" but I've never had short hair since, so I'm sure it was traumatic. And all while growing up, I feared that I looked like a boy (because my brother and I look so similar in the face, I would often get, "Oh you look so much like your brother").

Yeah, I cut my own hair off before playschool (I do this every four years or so) but I never remember getting hassle there. I don't think I would have minded at that age if people thought I was a boy though, it was more when I got older that I became a bit more self conscious about it.
    Also, when my brother was little, he used to think that anyone with curly hair was of African descent. Skin color, hair color, didn't matter. But if you had curly hair, you were of African descent. He grew out of that in primary school.

Technically he was right :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Dragan wrote: »
    Jesus they are only kids. Your are talking about an age group the believe's in Santa Claus.

They are hardly dealing from a point of view that is grounded in reality. Let kids make their "mistakes" and misplaced assumption when they are young because people won't let them when they are older.

Not everything needs to come with a life lesson about equality and opportuinity and all that......sometimes it's cool to just be a kid and think and say ridiculous things.

that's true to a point alright... but it's also interesting to note the dicrimination as to what boys and girls can and can't do, discriminations like that are rampant in daily life for adults and older children, and them being active at such a young age can do nothing to help eliminate them.

Hope you didn't get sh*t from other girls over doing engineering, knew some girls who did as the other girls seemed to be convinced the only reason a girl would do engineering was to use it as a singles bar.:rolleyes:

i'd a friend like that, a guy who did social care, he was one of only two guys in the class, and as far as i know, most of the years before us only had girls. for all people slagged him about only being in it for the chicks, as far as he was concerned, we were like sisters to him, and it'd be just plain weird. these things do work both ways :D
    WindSock wrote: »
    When I was a wee lass I suffered what we know today as 'a gender identity crisis'
    I hated being lumped in with other girls and be expected to play with dolls, wear pink frilly dresses and scream every time I saw a boy or an insect. I much prefered to play with boys toys, climb trees and wear trousers etc.
    So therefore I guessed I must have been a boy when I was aged 4, yet I didn't fit into any other group. The boys wouldn't let me play with them because they said was a girl. And the girls thought I was a wierdo, so I settled for being a happy loner. Now I dread to think what kind of a person I would have turned out if I had been forced to fit in with the other girls.

I actually told my teacher to **** off when she said 'good girl' :)

hahaha, i lolled at that last bit, genius :D i was much the same at that age actually, i just wanted to wear my (lol, usually matching) tracksuits, and run around and play sports and have fun. i hated dancing, and didnt understand 'playing dolls'... just didnt make sense to me. i remember about age four thinking my voice was too deep to be a girls' though, and trying to make it squeakier so people knew i actually was a girl :P

but it is quite sad, i think that so many kids are pushed, whether intentionally or not into those stereotypes, and that because, in your case, you were into stuff different from your other female peers, you were left out. obviously it's all come well at this stage, but it's a sad state of affairs that it can come to that.
    Seraphina wrote: »
    i think you're placing too much emphasis on stereotypical 'girlyness' on children who probably don't even dress themselves.

fact is, i was the same when i was that age. dresses and skirts and pink. why? my mother bought my clothes, and had huuuuge influence on how i chose my clothes. (i.e. picking something up and saying oooh thats pretty, and when i tried it on telling me how lovely i looked) of course i was going to listen to her, she's my mother!

these kids are obviously the same, and i see it even more so now than when i was younger, young girls being dressed up like little dolls, or mini versions of their parents. they ask why they're wearing such and such and why the boys wear something else, and their parents give them a simplistic, because girls wear skirts and boys wear shorts answer. you can't reason with a child and explain choice and equality to them at that age...

as i started to grow older i shunned dressed and pink for jeans and stuff which didn't look so messy when i got muddy, but between 0 and 4 there aren't a huge amount of options when it comes to girls clothes anyway

i remember by the time i was three, i most definitely knew what i liked and what i didnt like. i was forced into dresses for mass on sunday, and after that, it was mostly tracksuits and leggings with tshirts, which might or might not have been pink... there were a lot of hand me downs too, often from male cousins, and i did quite like lots of that stuff.
    Weidii wrote: »
    When myself and my sister were in primary school my mam ran a playschool in our house (so she could be there when we got home)

She had a story about one of the kids, he was a boy but never played with the dinosaurs or cars, he always wanted to dress up the dolls and look after them. After he'd been home telling his parents what he'd been playing with in school his father came in and gave out stink to my mam, telling her never to let him play with "girls" toys again. I think he was afraid that his little boy would turn out to be gay.

I can relate to this myself, as when I was a child I never owned any dolls, I loved playing with teddies, cars and tractors. I just loved mucking about in wellies around my Grandads farm too. I'm not sure if this was an early indicator, but I did practically turn out to be gay.

I cut my hair short when I was about nine or ten and I got the "are you a girl" question from all my younger cousins (who must have already known that I was a girl)

It's a strange topic.

it's funny, cos as well as playing shop, house, etc, a couple of the centres ive worked at extended the imaginary play to hairdressers, and the teachers would have hair dryers and water spray and hair brushes and bobbins and do up the kids' hair, which lots of the kids really enjoy. but there was this one kid, about 2/3 years old, and he came home with a few bobbins in his hair, which his mam thought was adorable, and warned the dad before the kid showed it to him to not freak out, which apparently he very nearly did, caught himself, but spent the next age trying to 'gently' persuade' the kid to take the bobbins out. (think ross from friends trying to persaude his kid away from the doll). way i see it is kids should be allowed to do their own thing, develop their own personalities and interests, without it having to be gender specific, or forced or deliberately influenced on them.
    Nope, sorry I don't think clothing that has the play boy bunny or it or other crass slogans that sexualise my preteen child is acceptable no matter what colour. Little girls are ment to look like lil girls and no lil wannabe p0rn stars.

i definitely agree with that. so many kids are growing up waaaay faster than they should already, sexualising their clothes (even things like 'cute' written on the ass of kids' trousers is just not right, imo) just doesnt help the issue at all.

Nope being a goth and a curehead is not something I would wish on her at all.

haha, lol!

and that is my main point, really. no, we shouldnt be teaching, and definitely not encouraging kids to denote peoples' gender based on waht colours they wear, and what type of clothes they wear.
    I don't see it as blindness to differences but as to acceptance of differences so that while it maybe different to who why are ie person of the gender opposite to who they are but the important part is person.

excellently phrased :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Just on the topic of parents and their attitude towards their daughters:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/apr/25/health.cancer

As somebody who just had to get a colposcopy done, I would be incredibly angry if I found out that my parents refused me a cervical cancer vaccine on the grounds that it would encourage promiscuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

taconnol wrote: »
    Just on the topic of parents and their attitude towards their daughters:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/apr/25/health.cancer

As somebody who just had to get a colposcopy done, I would be incredibly angry if I found out that my parents refused me a cervical cancer vaccine on the grounds that it would encourage promiscuity.

1/3 of the 20% turned it down due to concerns over it's long term safety, fair enough, understandable view point. But those who turned it down due to concerns of it encouraging promiscuity, :mad: completely ridiculous, as bad as those who try claim that sex ed. encourages it IMO.

that's true to a point alright... but it's also interesting to note the dicrimination as to what boys and girls can and can't do, discriminations like that are rampant in daily life for adults and older children, and them being active at such a young age can do nothing to help eliminate them.
    True, but to really fix it would require keeping an entire generation sheltered from all outside contact and media. Better to just try educate them as they grow, help them realise that there are few things boys can do that girls can't (can't think of any significant ones TBH) and vice versa (e.g. give birth)

i'd a friend like that, a guy who did social care, he was one of only two guys in the class, and as far as i know, most of the years before us only had girls. for all people slagged him about only being in it for the chicks, as far as he was concerned, we were like sisters to him, and it'd be just plain weird. these things do work both ways :D
    Yup, I'd imagine the average male nurse will get the same crap too.:(

hahaha, i lolled at that last bit, genius :D
    Me too, wish I was a fly on the wall for that.:p
    but it is quite sad, i think that so many kids are pushed, whether intentionally or not into those stereotypes, and that because, in your case, you were into stuff different from your other female peers, you were left out. obviously it's all come well at this stage, but it's a sad state of affairs that it can come to that.
    I was often called "gay" for not enjoying watching soccer and being a bit too misanthropic to be bothered with girls during my early teens. So it's not even a requirement to show an interest in things associated with the opposite gender in order to be viewed as out of place, just that you don't follow the flock you're stuck in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Dragan wrote: »
    Jesus they are only kids. Your are talking about an age group the believe's in Santa Claus.

They are hardly dealing from a point of view that is grounded in reality. Let kids make their "mistakes" and misplaced assumption when they are young because people won't let them when they are older.

Not everything needs to come with a life lesson about equality and opportuinity and all that......sometimes it's cool to just be a kid and think and say ridiculous things.

+10000000

Kids evolve. Even as adults we're still evolving. Our little ones go from wearing pink dresses with pigtails, to being emos or goths in the blink of an eye.

Gender sterotyping is fine at a certain age. it's pretty harmless. most of us grew up thinking nurses were all women, and doctors were all men, for example. But we can pretty much all cope when faced with a female doc or a male nurse (except for a few nutters, of course).

But with a sensible upbringing, and plenty of freedom for our kids to decide to if they want to dress like one of the bratz or like batman, they'll eventually find their place in the world.

Freedom, with some gentle nudging, as I always call it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Me aged 5-6 "Why don't nuns have babies?". Luckily, for some adult, I kept it to myself.

I think I was able to realise that women (not men) had babies, but not that it took two to tango. That said all I could really compare was my home environment -v- the convent attached to the school.

http://www.explosm.net/comics/1231/

Advertisement