Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Results Are In!!!!

• 23-04-2008 6:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

200 people responded to the survey. Here are the reults -

Age Number % Most Common Team (Amount)
    16 - 20 29 14.5 Manchester United (13) Liverpool (6) Chelsea (2)
    21 - 25 72 36 Liverpool (24) Manchester United (22) Aston Villa (6)
    26 - 30 55 27.5 Liverpool (21) Manchester United (11) Aston Villa (3)
    31 - 35 23 11.5 Liverpool (6) Manchester United (5) Everton (2)
    36 - 40 13 6.5 Liverpool (4) Manchester United (3) Leeds United (2)
    41 - 45 3 1.5 Manchester United (2) Liverpool (1)
    46 - 50 5 2.5 Chelsea (2) Manchester United (1) Leeds United (1)

Family Influence (156 answered)
    Yes 54 35 Manchester United (21) Liverpool (18) Leeds United (3)
    No 102 65 Liverpool (28) Manchester United (23) Arsenal (9)

Teams Number %
    Premiership 167 83.5
    Championship or lower 12 6
    Scotland 4 2
    Eircom League 14 7
    Rest of the World 3 1.5

Arsenal 11 5.5
    Aston Villa 10 5
    Chelsea 8 4
    Everton 3 1.5
    Liverpool 62 31
    Manchester City 3 1.5
    Manchester United 57 28.5
    Newcastle United 8 4
    Tottenham Hotspur 3 1.5
    West Ham United 2 1

Barnsley 1 0.5
    Leeds United 8 4
    MK Dons 1 0.5
    Nottingham Forest 1 0.5
    Southampton 1 0.5

Celtic 3 1.5
    Rangers 1 0.5

Athlone Town 1 0.5
    Cork City 1 0.5
    Dundalk 1 0.5
    Longford Town 2 1
    Shelbourne 5 2.5
    Sligo Rovers 1 0.5
    St. Patricks Athletic 3 1.5

Barcelona 1 0.5
    Juventus 1 0.5
    Roma 1 0.5

So what do we get from this?

Well first off you can see that Liverpool are way out in front in terms of fans born in the late 70s early 80s. Anything to do with the European Cup wins at that time? I'd say so.

Manchester United have done the best with the 16 - 20 year olds who would have been getting into football during their dominate period of the 90s.

I also noticed that only Villa fan out of 10 is over 30. The other 9 are most likely products of the Irish connection from the early to mid 90s.

A lot of Leeds fans are late 30s/early 40s, pointing to their success in the 70s.

Only one third of fans got into their team through their family.

Anyway, hope this makes interesting reading. If there's any other questions regarding the figures let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Hope Xavis finances are better that stattos :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Interesting. Didnt realise there was that few Arsenal Fans around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Interesting breakdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

When was this done?

21 - 25 - West Brom 1, Shamrock Rovers 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Thread was going for the last ten days or so .

The facts speaks for themselves, I would say 99% of fans on this forum were not born into a club ie born in Liverpool, Manchester etc and therefore are going to get into/ start supporting clubs through the media . And therefore the successful teams of their childhood.

Ps As someone bucking the facts ........ Age 38 Club UTD started support in 70's (not a ever successful period) I FEEL GOOD
    I am not a sheep
    I am not a sheep

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

ROCKMAN wrote: »

Ps As someone bucking the facts ........ Age 38 Club UTD started support in 70's (not a ever successful period) I FEEL GOOD
    I am not a sheep
    I am not a sheep

:D:D:D:D

sounds like you should get a tshirt something like this made up for Man Utd. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

gucci wrote: »
    sounds like you should get a tshirt something like this made up for Man Utd. :D:D

Christ another T-shirt , Do you know now many new Man utd Shirt someone who is support them 30 years has or has gone through :D:D

But if you are offering.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think the younger generations of kids now would have a significant amount of Arsenal supporters too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Surprised to see so many Villa and Newcastle fans. Wouldn't have thought they were particularly popular in Ireland.

Xavi, just to point out something. You said Liverpool fans born in the late 70s/early 80s are likely to have chosen Liverpool for their European success in the early 80s. I'd say that might be true for some of the 70s kids, but it can't possibly be true for the rest of them.

I was born in 80 and if I recall correctly, Liverpool's last win was in 84. I certainly wasn't watching football at age 4, so anyone born then or afterwards must have a different reason for choosing them. I can't even remember why I liked them. It could have been because they were the big team of the 80s, or it could have been because they had Aldridge, Staunton and Houghton there.

Anyway, interesting survey :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Exit wrote: »
    Surprised to see so many Villa and Newcastle fans. Wouldn't have thought they were particularly popular in Ireland.

Xavi, just to point out something. You said Liverpool fans born in the late 70s/early 80s are likely to have chosen Liverpool for their European success in the early 80s. I'd say that might be true for some of the 70s kids, but it can't possibly be true for the rest of them.

I was born in 80 and if I recall correctly, Liverpool's last win was in 84. I certainly wasn't watching football at age 4, so anyone born then or afterwards must have a different reason for choosing them. I can't even remember why I liked them. It could have been because they were the big team of the 80s, or it could have been because they had Aldridge, Staunton and Houghton there.

Anyway, interesting survey :)

I get what you mean. Aside from European Cups though, Liverpool won 7 league titles between 1980 and 1990. That's plenty of material to get kids on the bandwagon a la mid-90s United.

Advertisement