Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Road

Options
  • 23-04-2008 6:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

While I welcome the opening of the new stretch of road from Bracetown/Clonee to Fairyhouse junction I wonder why they have put a 24 hour bus lane in both directions?

Do they anticipate that there will be major traffic problems and thereby feel the need to offer such extensive bus lanes?

Should they not have built a large road to accommodate the volume of traffic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dimma02

yes I agree, and it seems longer than the old road, I cut off for Dunboyne and the design to get back onto the new road from dunboyne is very bad, you would think they could have put a bit of thought into it, at least we are seeing progress on the new M3.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

is this going to be the finished road, or is this temporary? I thought the idea was to join the Dual Carriageway where it end at Clonee??? It's a bit all over the place at the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

The new road is a shambles. I've been stuck on it for several hours this week. One evening it became backlogged due to a garda checkpoint. The traffic throughput has been significantly reduced leading to worse jams. An extension of the dual carriageway from Clonee should have been put in place years ago. How can 4 lanes on that stretch come into 1 and not cause chaos especially with the crossing traffic.
    I know we are waiting for a motorway but a better traffic management system could have been used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

yellabelly wrote: »
    The new road is a shambles. I've been stuck on it for several hours this week. One evening it became backlogged due to a garda checkpoint. The traffic throughput has been significantly reduced leading to worse jams. An extension of the dual carriageway from Clonee should have been put in place years ago. How can 4 lanes on that stretch come into 1 and not cause chaos especially with the crossing traffic.
    I know we are waiting for a motorway but a better traffic management system could have been used.

It is a complete nightmare - traffic congestion is at the worst I have ever seen it at this area. OPEN THE BUS LANES. Can we start a campaign and bombard Meath County Council with email asking them to do something about it.

LarWright is this going to be the finished road, or is this temporary? I thought the idea was to join the Dual Carriageway where it end at Clonee??? It's a bit all over the place at the minute!

As far as I can tell this is the finished relief road.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This stretch of new road has actually only been put in place to allow the new M3 motorway to go down the line of the original N3 road. I think it will be a paralell local connector road once the motorway is finished, but at the moment is serves to divert Navan traffic from the old N3 which is being removed to make way for the motorway.

One major reason why the traffic is so bad on the N3 Navan-Dublin road is becuase there is such poor public transport from Navan to Dublin. It's nothing short of a disgrace that the much promised Navan Rail line has not gone beyond the planning stage.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Was on the new road at the weekend for the first time. Coming from Dunboyne and ended up on the Trim road as I wasn't concentrating! It's only a temporary road while they put in the motorway underneath. Interesting to see how much work is going on and how fast - it was only 2 years ago that I was working on the archaeology sites there at Pace, Bennetstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

Meathlass wrote: »
    Was on the new road at the weekend for the first time. Coming from Dunboyne and ended up on the Trim road as I wasn't concentrating! It's only a temporary road while they put in the motorway underneath. Interesting to see how much work is going on and how fast - it was only 2 years ago that I was working on the archaeology sites there at Pace, Bennetstown.

I use that route often and the pace of work is impressive indeed.
    The turnoff to Trim coming from Dublin on the little roundabout at the top of the hill seems unnecessarily dangerous. Whats the point in the little slip road that makes you blind to traffic coming off the roundabout unless you totally crain your neck? Why didnt they just leave it as a normal r'bout?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

JupiterKid wrote: »
    This stretch of new road has actually only been put in place to allow the new M3 motorway to go down the line of the original N3 road. I think it will be a paralell local connector road once the motorway is finished, but at the moment is serves to divert Navan traffic from the old N3 which is being removed to make way for the motorway.

One major reason why the traffic is so bad on the N3 Navan-Dublin road is becuase there is such poor public transport from Navan to Dublin. It's nothing short of a disgrace that the much promised Navan Rail line has not gone beyond the planning stage.:(

and the kicker is that now cause the motorway is going along this route, a new railway line means a new bridsge will have to be built, increasingthe cost of the railway! Well done mr potterton, local actioneer and board member on the NRA ( conflict of interest anyone?)

Advertisement