Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA IV; what system?

Options
  • 23-04-2008 8:10am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Given that the release of the game is just around the corner and given the number of folk with both 360s and PS3s, for which machine are we going to buy GTAIV?

Me, I'm getting the 360 edition because of the hope of great DLC further down the line, although I wouldn't be surprised of the PS3 gets it in a "special edition" within 6 months or so.

How about the rest of you, and why.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

360, same reason.... Future DLC, Achievements, Online Play on Live....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

PS3 because i don't care about the DLC, it's cheaper (€45 from VGP) and because one of the best parts of previous games for me was always the soundtrack and radio, and i'd like to be able to hear them so the ps3 silence clinches it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

360 version for me too. I don't own a PS3 yet.

I think there were a few threads like this on the GTA forum [/pimps]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

360. There's the DLC, much better online, better controller and achievements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

PS3. It's supposedly slightly better looking, and I prefer the controller. The online modes are also exactly the same on both versions, but free on PS3.

I might get a PC version later too though.

By the by, any chance of any shops here putting it out early? Harvey Norman sometimes puts games out when they get them, as opposed to on launch day. If anyone sees this out early, be sure to give a shout on boards :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Aren't they releasing a PS3 GTA:IV bundle which basically includes GTA:IV with a PS3 for no extra cost? I think i'll be getting that as I already have a gaming PC which pretty much removes the need imo for an Xbox 360

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Most likely a stupid question, but is the downloadable content fot the 360 free? I'd assume otherwise, but if it's not free, I might go for the PS3 option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Aren't they releasing a PS3 GTA:IV bundle which basically includes GTA:IV with a PS3 for no extra cost?

Dunno about no extra cost. It'll probably be around the same as the GT5 bundle which was 30 or 40 euro extra I thought.

Would still be cheaper than buying seperate though.

The DLC will cost, humanji. Microsoft gave T2 a $50m advance on revenues from it so you can be pretty sure it'll cost a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

humanji wrote: »
    Most likely a stupid question, but is the downloadable content fot the 360 free? I'd assume otherwise, but if it's not free, I might go for the PS3 option.

definitely not free

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

PS3 for me as I do not own a 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

PS3 version for me as i don't own an Xbox 360 anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Mr E wrote: »
    360, same reason.... Future DLC, Achievements, Online Play on Live....

Definitely, plus the better controller. Will be nice to play it with people on my friends list. It'll be great, like when Halo 3 came out, I'll go online and everyone on my friends list will be playing this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

PS3 because i don't care about the DLC, it's cheaper (€45 from VGP) and because one of the best parts of previous games for me was always the soundtrack and radio, and i'd like to be able to hear them so the ps3 silence clinches it.

Wow your TV's volume must suck then.

I'll get it on the 360 cos of Xbox Live and the DLC.

Wow your TV's volume must suck then.

No my tv is great thanks, it's just i intend to put in lots of time at this game and I doubt my girlfriend will be impressed if the TV wakes her up at 3 AM, so I'll be playing it alot at low volumes, so the less background noise the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

PS3 ,and because its region free,I got it pre-orderd for €41, delivered from canada.

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

why are some peoples reasons for getting it on 360 "because of xbox live"?

the multiplayer aspect of live is dirt, being hosted by someone elses connection is terrible if they drop the game drops. it's the same on the PS3 but at least you're wallet won't be raped for the priviledge.

i'm getting on the ps3 because.

1. i had no reason to buy a 360, as i get enough gaming done out of my ps3 and pc (mainly pc).
    2. i prefer the PS3 controller for GTA with the keyboard/mouse combo being better but i can't wait until the PC version.
    3. don't want to pay to play multiplayer unless there were dedicated servers up and running.
    4. the fear of getting rrod considering that GTA will be the most graphically intense game released so far.
    5. there's only so many double adapters and extension leads i can have in my room :p
    6. i don't want to constantly hear a plane taking off and think OMgz planes in GTA but then realise that it's infact the console itself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

No my tv is great thanks, it's just i intend to put in lots of time at this game and I doubt my girlfriend will be impressed if the TV wakes her up at 3 AM, so I'll be playing it alot at low volumes, so the less background noise the better.
    ffs, get your priorities right. If she complains, dump her!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Im gonna go out on a limb and say that the 360 download content is probably just the stuff they couldn't fit on the 360 DVD. Unlike the PS3's blu ray 25gb disc :p

CC

humanji wrote: »
    ffs, get your priorities right. If she complains, dump her!

but but but then i'd have to cook, clean and do the washing myself*

*quite obviously joking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Hold on a sec. Have they said it's coming out for the PC? I thought it was a definite no.

I'll be playing it on the PS3 because that's what the guy with the flimsy door upstairs has.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Hold on a sec. Have they said it's coming out for the PC? I thought it was a definite no.

I'll be playing it on the PS3 because that's what the guy with the flimsy door upstairs has.
    it will be out on the pc, although 8-12 months later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I will be getting mine for xbox, getting any GTA for the pc is great though, you can add so much new content into the game and even make your own. The pc can really stretch the life of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Cremo wrote: »
    why are some peoples reasons for getting it on 360 "because of xbox live"?

the multiplayer aspect of live is dirt, being hosted by someone elses connection is terrible if they drop the game drops.

How did you find this out? If it was coded properly it wouldn't.

i meant as a whole, i really dislike the idea of my online gaming experience relying on some 13-year old kid's connection. it wasn't in relation to GTA at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I am in the same situation, a 360 that sounds like a cross channel hovercraft powering up and a whisper quiet PS3, the online option is increasingly moot as my mates are in the process of replacing the 360 with the PS3 to gain the Bluray option.
    The DLC, well, I'd hate to lose that i have to say.
    Is it going to come to the PS3 at some point or is it definitely 360 only?

The other thing of course is, due to the ubiquitous nature of the 360 console, the PS3 edition may well be easier to locate for sale, given that reports I'm hearing is that the 360 edition will be sold out very very quickly, perhaps not every preorder will be filled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is it going to come to the PS3 at some point or is it definitely 360 only?

I would say no as Microsoft paid a lot of money for it. I have read on various forums some people saying the PS3 will get some DLC down the line.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Microsoft didn't pay any money for it. It didn't "cost" $50 million. Microsoft gave Rockstar an advance of $50 million on expected earnings from the DLC. When DLC is purchased the money all goes to Microsoft, then Microsoft gives some of it to Rockstar. The $50 million was just an advance on what Microsoft expect Rockstars cut to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

stevenmu wrote: »
    Microsoft didn't pay any money for it. It didn't "cost" $50 million. Microsoft gave Rockstar an advance of $50 million on expected earnings from the DLC. When DLC is purchased the money all goes to Microsoft, then Microsoft gives some of it to Rockstar. The $50 million was just an advance on what Microsoft expect Rockstars cut to be.

They might say that, but I don't believe it for a second.
    CoD4 Map pack is the best selling DLC for the 360, and sold 1mil copies.
    1mil x €10 = €10,000000 = $15,000,000
    (and in actual fact will be substantially less as points cost less in the states).

So GTA would need to be selling bucket loads of DLC to make $50mil, and its main market is not people who download content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

CombatCow wrote: »
    Im gonna go out on a limb and say that the 360 download content is probably just the stuff they couldn't fit on the 360 DVD. Unlike the PS3's blu ray 25gb disc :p

CC

Although i dont agree about the possibility of extra content on the Blu-Ray, i will say that its fairly obvious that a 6.5 GB game shouldn't be on a 25GB disc. Is the Warhawk disc Blu-Ray? When i downloaded it it was 730 megs or something. I sucked at it then and i suck more now!

Advertisement