Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA IV; what system?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Don't have a PS3, but I might buy the GTA pack when it comes out. Do you reckon I'd need to prebook it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Where's the Poll? I've both consoles myself, and will get the 360 version. Just not at launch as I'm not finished other games yet. I'll get someone's cast off later.

Cheers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

mcgovern wrote: »
    They might say that, but I don't believe it for a second.
    CoD4 Map pack is the best selling DLC for the 360, and sold 1mil copies.
    1mil x €10 = €10,000000 = $15,000,000
    (and in actual fact will be substantially less as points cost less in the states).

So GTA would need to be selling bucket loads of DLC to make $50mil, and its main market is not people who download content.

The only knowledge we have on the deal comes from a conference call with investors (which you can listen to here if you like). There is a rough transcript here if you'd like to read it, and analysts comments here. In short it is very clear that the money was simply an advance on expected earnings (the same way authors get advances on books), and in fact Take 2 may have to repay any shortfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

360, but really only because I've no PS3.
    Might pick up a PS3 when wipeoutHD launches and if so will get GTA4 for it and sell my 360 SE pack...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I guess if the DLC is only coming to the 360 for the forseeable future then that's the one to go for.
    I wonder what form the DLC is going to take, will it be a series of new storylines or perhaps some new territory to explore, it's all very interesting.

I think I am right to say this is the biggest software release this decade and if the LDC becomes a deciding factor in many casual gamers purchasing decisions the it could be an even bigger payday for Microsoft than Halo3 was, certainly in terms of possible hardware sales off the back of the game, especially needed with the current lack of a AAA game release this year of note, aside from the Gears of War sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cremo wrote: »
    why are some peoples reasons for getting it on 360 "because of xbox live"?

the multiplayer aspect of live is dirt, being hosted by someone elses connection is terrible if they drop the game drops. it's the same on the PS3 but at least you're wallet won't be raped for the priviledge.

Complete nonsense. As a regular player on Live, I think it has a truly fantastic multiplayer session, and the instances of slow down / poor connections / premature match endings are limited to say the least. I know for some reason you have something against Microsoft (and Halo in particular), but I think you are in a considerable minority when you go on a puzzling rant against Live and Xbox generally. The noise comment in particular amused me - it may be slightly louder than the ohter consoles, but to say it would actually turn you off playing a game is just trying to nitpick. And 60 euro per year is hardly getting 'raped' now is it? Am quite willing to pay a fiver a month (or one day without a sandwhich) for an excellently integrated online experience. PC still may be the best, but 360 is the best online a console has to offer in my experience.

There are plenty of reasons why one might prefer the PS3 version (better graphics / framerate etc...) but you're rant-like criticisms of the Xbox version reek of condescending PC elitisim. A hell of a lot of people like Live on here - if you want to argue with them, do so with more reasoned criticisms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

I think I am right to say this is the biggest software release this decade .

I think metal Gear will have much more of an impact, at the very least in terms of people who buy the PS3 just for it

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'll be buying it for PS3, quite simply because I don't own an Xbox 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Complete nonsense. As a regular player on Live, I think it has a truly fantastic multiplayer session, and the instances of slow down / poor connections / premature match endings are limited to say the least. I know for some reason you have something against Microsoft (and Halo in particular), but I think you are in a considerable minority when you go on a puzzling rant against Live and Xbox generally. The noise comment in particular amused me - it may be slightly louder than the ohter consoles, but to say it would actually turn you off playing a game is just trying to nitpick. And 60 euro per year is hardly getting 'raped' now is it? Am quite willing to pay a fiver a month (or one day without a sandwhich) for an excellently integrated online experience. PC still may be the best, but 360 is the best online a console has to offer in my experience.

There are plenty of reasons why one might prefer the PS3 version (better graphics / framerate etc...) but you're rant-like criticisms of the Xbox version reek of condescending PC elitisim. A hell of a lot of people like Live on here - if you want to argue with them, do so with more reasoned criticisms.
    maybe it works fine, i'm not 100% sure as i don't want to fork out the money for the console to try it out.

i've nothing against microsoft at all, i use their products everyday well kind of have to if i want to play games. my grudge against halo has nothing to do with microsoft, i just plainly dislike the game with a passion, i'm sure you dislike other games that other may like.

it's just i don't like the ide of paying money for something that can be done for free and is done for free on other consoles and gaming platforms.

you may be okay with paying 60 euro a year but for that amount of money i'd expect more, i'd at least would want dedicated servers.

i buy a pc game for 40-50 euro, i boot it up and play multiplayer on a dedicated server for free, no problems ever arise.

i buy a ps3/wii game for 60-70 euro i bring it home, boot it up and get a similar experience to live although slightly different in it's delivery but i get it for free.

i buy a xbox game for 60-70, i bring it home, boot it up, ohh what's this i need to pay money to play multiplayer. it just stinks tbh.

live is a money printing machine for microsoft, how many people have live subcriptions? it's bound to be a lot, i just don't see how with that many people that some of them haven't gone and said "hang on we're paying money for a sub standard service" or is it just the fact that people don't play online on anything bar live that they are just blinded by what else is out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

maybe it works fine, i'm not 100% sure as i don't want to fork out the money for the console to try it out.

i've nothing against microsoft at all, i use their products everyday well kind of have to if i want to play games. my grudge against halo has nothing to do with microsoft, i just plainly dislike the game with a passion, i'm sure you dislike other games that other may like.

it's just i don't like the ide of paying money for something that can be done for free and is done for free on other consoles and gaming platforms.

you may be okay with paying 60 euro a year but for that amount of money i'd expect more, i'd at least would want dedicated servers.

i buy a pc game for 40 euro, i boot it up and play multiplayer on a dedicated server for free, no problems ever arise.

i buy a ps3/wii game i bring it home, boot it up and get a similar experience to live although slightly different in it's delivery but i get it for free.

i buy a xbox game, i bring it home, boot it up, ohh what's this i need to pay money to play multiplayer. it just stinks tbh.

live is a money printing machine for microsoft, how many people have live subcriptions? it's bound to be a lot, i just don't see how with that many people that some of them haven't gone and said "hang on we're paying money for a sub standard service" or is it just the fact that people don't play online on anything bar live that they are just blinded by what else is out there?

*edit* live is the best online out there for a console, because frankly the wii's system is a little crappy, but it's free and can put up with it. PS3's home will be a big success i think remaining it stays free for non preminum stuff.

like everything in the computer games world, everything can be improved right? so surely my slagging off of live is the same as developers listening to feedback from the consumer and using that to improve their service.

put it this way, i have a wii/ps3/gamecube/dreamcast/snes/nes/megadrive/saturn and if someone gave me 100% assurance that come April 29th xbox live would have dedicated servers for multiplayer, i'd go out and buy an xbox and a live subscription and rescind all my criticisms of it as a system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

But the fact is it isn't a sub-standard service, and the reason why people haven't run around complaining about it is because they're satisfied with the service it provides. The Wii online is a bit of a bitch - with the exception of the VC, the online channels are pretty gimmicky, and to play online means all kinds of messing around with friend codes and the like. PS3 seems OK from what Ive played (only a couple of CoD4 sessions in a friends house) but still doesn't seem as feature packed as Live.

Again, dedicated servers are excellent, but the 360 is superb online, and is a great place to build up a good online friends list who can always play against you and so forth - basically the console equivalent of Steam. If you give it time, it is nowhere near the disaster you think it is, and the 60 euro is worth every cent. Free would be nice, sure, but I really don't mind the subscription (nor do the millions of subscribers, I'd imagine). And since I don't have the money or energy to keep up to date with PC tech, the ease of Xbox Live is perfect for my needs - no chance I'd be playing CoD otherwise.

GTA IV has its benefits on both consoles, but being able to play with all your Live friends with a single button press is sure to be a massive incentive for people when choosing the console they are playing it on. DLC is all well and good, but even if I had a PS3 (which I hopefully will soon) I'd choose the 360 version for Live and controller preferences.

Edit: just saw your edit, and yeah there is room for improvement. If they install dedicated servers, great, but as it stands it is still fantastic, and shouldn't be dismissed on that basis alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

The other thing of course is, due to the ubiquitous nature of the 360 console, the PS3 edition may well be easier to locate for sale, given that reports I'm hearing is that the 360 edition will be sold out very very quickly, perhaps not every preorder will be filled.

Asda say the Ps3 version is outselling the 360 version by 3:1. Wether this reflects the general sales of the game remains to be seen.

As for Xbox LIVE, I must admit I hate the fact that MS don't host dedicated servers, i think it's a joke that you have to pay for it. But that's going off topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Woo pc \o/

Only X more months to wait /o\

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Gonna wait for the PC. Hopefully the graphics will be better on a decent system (unlike SA, where people with a decent system had the same graphics as an intel onboard :().

Also, I'd say by the time the PC version comes out, the "special content" will be included on the DVD :cool:

=-=

Also, being playing online multiplayer in GTA for years... that's the other nice thing about the PC version: mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

The mods for SA were class on the pc. The cars looked great compared to "stock". Imagine what yer goin to get now/next year. Ye and yer noo fangled PCs.[/jealosly]

I hear Assasins Creed looks like sechs on the PC. Of course when you have Resolution, AA, etc to mess around with you are laughing. And of course, you could use the controller from your PS3 or wired 360 if you wanted. Provided Rockstar dont screw it up like they did SA.

Still, i dont know why, it just seems like the thing to do playing it on a console. Now if i could just get a HDTV....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm gonna be waiting for the pc version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

IGN's review: all 10s.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/869/869381p1.html

More on topic with the thread, there's the inevitable system comparison in there, and it sounds like PS3 has the edge on this one. As rumoured before, the PS3 version has less pop-in, better AA. The install means shorter load times also, although there might be an optional install on 360?
    For those wanting to know which version looks better, the edge goes to the PS3. The textures and framerate are comparable, but the PS3 has far less pop-in. The 360 has richer colors, but the PS3 has better anti-aliasing making it look a little cleaner. Because GTA IV can preload onto the PS3 hard drive, the in-game loads are faster. Don't worry Xbox owners, the load times are rarely more than 30 seconds and don't occur very often.
    While GTA IV is pushing the PS3 and 360 to the limit, it also runs amazingly well. Sure, there are framerate hitches here and there and (particularly on 360) there is some texture pop-in, but it actually runs better than I expected.

EGM's review says much the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, sure buy a PC that can pump out all these extra visuals, and for the price of the Graphics card alone you'll buy a PS3 and a 360. Not to mention that the games will all run first time without patching.
    No, the trade off isn't worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Yeah, sure buy a PC that can pump out all these extra visuals, and for the price of the Graphics card alone you'll buy a PS3 and a 360. Not to mention that the games will all run first time without patching.

Erm... an 8800gt hardly costs that much, and I'm sure a lesser card will still perform just as well as the 360 when the game eventually makes it to the pc

Kind of regretting cancelling my preorder of the PS3 version now though, got a voucher for movietyme so I might grab it off there...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

You can get a PS3 and 360 for 192 euros?

Don't talk arse :) It doesn't cost that much to have a PC that will kick a consoles ass in performance terms. €800 for a ps3 and xbox360 (komplett prices at present for base systems), you could have a pc that performs better than either for around that much too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Please continue, i find your string of clichés absolutely enthralling....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Something to bear in mind when comparing PCs to Consoles and arguing about the price of gfx cards is that oftentimes when a game is ported from a console to a PC a dogs dinner is made of it. Anyone remember trying to play Rainbow Six Vegas on a PC soon after it was released. Buggy as feck. And even Resi 4 on the PC, a last gen game, was atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Something to bear in mind when comparing PCs to Consoles and arguing about the price of gfx cards is that oftentimes when a game is ported from a console to a PC a dogs dinner is made of it. Anyone remember trying to play Rainbow Six Vegas on a PC soon after it was released. Buggy as feck. And even Resi 4 on the PC, a last gen game, was atrocious.

Yep. There are 101 reasons why PCs simply don't compare to the gaming experience consoles offer for most genres, and the biggest one is that developers simply can't afford to invest in PC gaming anymore so all the effort and talent goes into console games.

As far as I'm aware GTA IV hasn't even been confirmed for PC, I know Rockstar are one of the very few devs who actually do have a track record of excellent PC ports but this time round it probably makes more sense for them to focus their resources on DLC than on a PC port.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

they will release a gta4 port evenatally, theres too much money to be made.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Come on people, dont turn this into yet another pc vs. consoles debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

steviec wrote: »
    Yep. There are 101 reasons why PCs simply don't compare to the gaming experience consoles offer for most genres, and the biggest one is that developers simply can't afford to invest in PC gaming anymore so all the effort and talent goes into console games.

As far as I'm aware GTA IV hasn't even been confirmed for PC, I know Rockstar are one of the very few devs who actually do have a track record of excellent PC ports but this time round it probably makes more sense for them to focus their resources on DLC than on a PC port.

They do? lol, I always found them to be okay at best.

The graphics don't improve as much as they could IMO.

I played all of them on Pc and PS2 and much prefered the Pc versions all the same because its nice to see where your going unlike SA on PS2 which was unplayable IMHO.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I will probably get a PS3 for this as its seems to be one of the few games the PS3 runs better than the Xbox 360. But primarily I will get a PS3 for MGS4 and Blu-Ray which is a bigger clincher than GTA 4 for me.

Normally I'd wait for the PC as GTA games on the PC are normally pretty decent ports (except GTA 3) and have some excellent mods. If the game is as good as the hype I will probably pick it as well on the PC. I know its not confirmed but its a 99% certainity they will release it as some stage in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

this game will probably pull me back into the console world for the first time since my PS1 died.

Anyone know the best place to get me one of those PS3/GTAIV bundles? Would buying it online be best?

(before people say I should get the 360, I see no point getting the 360 as I have a kickass PC and most 360 exclusives get released under games for windows)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

HMV are doing the GTA bundle with either Fifa 08, UEFA 08 or Burnout Paradise for 439 on tuesday. Best I've seen so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Azza wrote: »
    I will probably get a PS3 for this as its seems to be one of the few games the PS3 runs better than the Xbox 360.

Source?

Advertisement