Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA IV; what system?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Source?

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/869/869381p5.html

Past GTA titles have had mild-to-serious framerate issues and technical glitches, because the games were trying to do far more than the PlayStation 2 could handle. While GTA IV is pushing the PS3 and 360 to the limit, it also runs amazingly well. Sure, there are framerate hitches here and there and (particularly on 360) there is some texture pop-in, but it actually runs better than I expected. That a game with great AI, an awesome physics engine and a detailed open world runs so well and with such short load times is a technical marvel. For that, I can forgive framerate issues and some noticeable aliasing.

For those wanting to know which version looks better, the edge goes to the PS3. The textures and framerate are comparable, but the PS3 has far less pop-in. The 360 has richer colors, but the PS3 has better anti-aliasing making it look a little cleaner. Because GTA IV can preload onto the PS3 hard drive, the in-game loads are faster. Don't worry Xbox owners, the load times are rarely more than 30 seconds and don't occur very often. The slight visual edge goes to PS3, but the 360 is no slouch. Either version will do you proud.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's all so confusing, I'm bouncing from wanting one version over the other, and now I just don't know.
    The controller isn't an issue because the Dualshock 3 is excellent and I have one, so that really leaves the tradeoff with visuals and loadtimes coupled with the big unknown, the DLC for the 360 version somewhere on the horizon.

What to do?
    It's still no clearer than before is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's all so confusing, I'm bouncing from wanting one version over the other, and now I just don't know.
    The controller isn't an issue because the Dualshock 3 is excellent and I have one, so that really leaves the tradeoff with visuals and loadtimes coupled with the big unknown, the DLC for the 360 version somewhere on the horizon.

What to do?
    It's still no clearer than before is it?
    I'm the exact same :D the visuals and load times are better on ps3, but the 360 has the DLC and better online (I don't even have a headset for the ps3).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Go with 360 IMO because the DLC will probably be great and you'll miss it. I presume the framerate and pop issues on 360 aren't that big a deal since the reviews pretty much said so and I presume the framerate is fine except when the screen is really busy.

Personally I'll be p*ssed if framerate problems are a regular occurance as I'm the kind of person that would sacrifice graphics for a good framerate. I just can't justify the price of a PS3 for stable framerates and MGS though (already have Bluray).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I've already got it pre-ordered for the PS3 from VideoGamesPlus but if and this is a humungous "IF" the DLC is worth anything (I won't be paying extra money for a few sub-missions) I'll either pick up a 2nd hand 360 versiono for dirt cheap in the Autumn or get it on PC (which will most likely have the DLC for free).

Still tomorrow at 5pm you should be able to read some reviews to help you make up your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah yes, I thought of that, buy the PS3 edition now and in 6 months or so, if the DLC proves to be a bit more than a few extra missions, then just trade in for the 360 version.
    Small hitch, don't reckon the game saves will be transferrable, so you'll have to slog the whole way, six months worth of gameplay, to the point you are at on the PS3 edition.
    Arse!
    Feck!

They are determined to make this as difficult a choice as possible, aren't they!

I could just bank on a Game of the Year edition for the PS3 in a year or so with the DLC included, and just trade up to that, then the existing gamesave should suffice.
    It all depends on if the DLC is really exclusive to the 360 or, perhaps more likely, exclusive for a certain period of time before it becomes fair game to release it on all other available formats.

I wonder if the DS version will use the DLC???

DS version?

I think it'll be properly exclusive to 360 (DLC that is). Ms have hyped it too much as being exclusive to 360 for it not to be. Surely people will be laughing at them if it turns out to be a timed exclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'm going with the PS3 version since I can get it tomorrow, which kind of made up my mind for me.

I was torn between better framerates / draw distance and the fact I know more people on xbox live. But I know more people getting PS3s all the time so it'll balance out, and a year from now I can get the 360 version dirt cheap, achievements will be an excuse to enjoy the game again, and I can get the DLC if it's worth it.

Yep, I'm swinging to the PS3 now, I want the best, most seamless experience I can, while I don't doubt the 360 version will be great I think the PS3 is the better option, between the visuals, the quiet of the console, I don't really play games online and the fact that I have played every GTA on a Sony console, with the possible exception of the orginal, I played that on the PC back in the day.
    Hope to be picking it up tomorrow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

steviec wrote: »
    I'm going with the PS3 version since I can get it tomorrow, which kind of made up my mind for me.
    Can you get more than one? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Im pretty positive that the PS3 version will be getting DLC too, just not exclusive to that console.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Is there going to be a major problem about walking into a store tomorrow and picking up a copy off the shelf?

I was too late to preorder. But I'm figuring there'll have to be some stores at least with some copies available, if I go out early enough?

I'll be going to Blanchardstown, so there must be something like a dozen stores I could try there. Surely it won't be sold out EVERYWHERE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

LookingFor wrote: »

I'll be going to Blanchardstown, so there must be something like a dozen stores I could try there. Surely it won't be sold out EVERYWHERE.

you have a good selection of stores you can get it from in blanchardstown , game , hmv , zavvi , smyths , harvey normans , xtravision and maybe in dixon's , curry's and pc world also .

i'd say your chances are good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll try Tallaght at 7am, then head to Henry St. if i cant get it there. Can't see it being to much of a problem getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is it just me or is anyone else not bothered about the DLC. The more I think about it, the less I care, really. Granted, I may change my mind when they tell us what it is, but apart from the fact that you'll pay for it, it's not out for about 5-6 months. By that time I'll have finished the game and be off playing any of the other hundreds of games that will be out by then.

humanji wrote: »
    Is it just me or is anyone else not bothered about the DLC. The more I think about it, the less I care, really. Granted, I may change my mind when they tell us what it is, but apart from the fact that you'll pay for it, it's not out for about 5-6 months. By that time I'll have finished the game and be off playing any of the other hundreds of games that will be out by then.

I disagree. Its kind of better that its not out for 5-6 months since that gives you the time to play through what is released and then you'll have time to relax a bit and play something else and then you'll have the anticipation and joy of new content for one of the greatest games of the year.

You maybe off playing those games but you might want to come back to GTA, makes sense to leave that option open since there is no worthwhile difference to justify not doing it IMHO. Unless you love the duelshock controller that much!

humanji wrote: »

I'd be of the same opinion. I mean i thought GTA 3 and Vice city were great games but i couldn't be arsed playing Liberty city and vice city stories.

brim4brim wrote: »
    I disagree. Its kind of better that its not out for 5-6 months since that gives you the time to play through what is released and then you'll have time to relax a bit and play something else and then you'll have the anticipation and joy of new content for one of the greatest games of the year.

You maybe off playing those games but you might want to come back to GTA, makes sense to leave that option open since there is no worthwhile difference to justify not doing it IMHO. Unless you love the duelshock controller that much!
    I'd kind of agree with that if I knew the content would be worth it, but I can't imagine it being anything more than a few missions and possible a bit more multiplayer content (but I don't really play mutliplayer in general).

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

CombatCow wrote: »
    Im gonna go out on a limb and say that the 360 download content is probably just the stuff they couldn't fit on the 360 DVD. Unlike the PS3's blu ray 25gb disc :p

CC

No, they are the exact same game. No difference in content in the game.

I reckon Tescos may have a few copies for sale tonight, given the 24 hour nature of their larger stores.
    Also I can't find a loose PS3 copy anywhere, although 360 games are little easier to locate.
    And while I am a fan of Gamestop, I was in the Scotch Hall branch and an assistant, or minion as I would call him, was asked by my good self about the cost of the Special Edition, to which he replied "they're all gone to preorders", to which I says, "I asked How Much Is The Special Edition", which he then answered. I then asked if they would have any PS3 copies for sale to which I got a bunch or management-speak about "free copies" and other crap.
    Now generally I am a champion of the Gamestop stores but this guy just came across as a right lemon, I know he's been asked the same questions again and again, but that's his job, isn't it?

• Advertisement

In fairness, if he'd be asked the same question over and over, you'd think he'd have the answers down. You just can't get the staff these days!

So if anyone was curious..it was easy-peasy picking up a copy without a preorder in Blanch this morning.

Game had loads of copies behind the counter. Although I'm sure some or most of them are being reserved for preorders, they were still selling them to people just walking in at around 11.

Zaavi had it too, but €75! Game was charging €65 which was a pleasant surprise, was expecting €70.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

FYI, for anyone who hasn't decided yet, PS3 version seemingly has serious freezing problems.

Edit: Seeminly problem reported on the 360 now as well, but not to the same extent.

360 too according to the updates on that page

Bully had similar problems IIRC...Rockstar can be not very good about bugs..

I think you have to bear in mind also that this is a huge release, and there are a lot more people playing than normal. So any small problems will be experienced by more people. It's probably still a tiny proportion.

I've been playing for a couple of hours now, no issues.

Although I'm not sure how the game was getting 10s for graphics. But the graphics are growing on me, particularly taking in all the little details.

Eh, you have to take into consideration the size of the game when looking at the graphics. It can't all look fantastic! :rolleyes:

There doesn't seem to be a major problem with 360, there is only one or two people complaining about problems in the GTAIV forums on xbox.com. There'd be a lot more if there was an actual issue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

walked all around town from 11.15am to 1pm and no-where would give me a copy of the game without a pre-order:(

Game in Ilac Centre had 100s of copies of the game behind the counter but said they were for pre-order customers only and that only way I might get it is if I cud call in after 5pm that they mite release them then but i havent got all day so am gonna leave it for a few days now till the rush wears off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Just back from lunch. Walked into Woolsworths just down the street. Got the PS3 version for £35 and a free strategy guide with it.

Nice.

EDIT: I'm living in London at the moment...

Zavvi in Blanch had loads this morning all right, the ad in the window said €70 whilst the game instore said €75, wasn't sure to get one or not.
    Gamestop have it for €60 but I think they are sold out.
    Tescos had a handful this morning for €40 but they sold rapidly.

In the end a little bird turned me on to Harvey Norman where I got the 360 special edition for 89euro, groovy!
    I just have to wait for my 5 year old to retire to bed before I can turn it on!
    The package is pretty nice, a lock box, like a safety deposit box in the movies, only matt black with the GTA logo on it, a duffle bag, soundtrack cd, art book, key ring and keys for the lock box.

Oh, and a copy of the game!

I am a very happy man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    In the end a little bird turned me on to Harvey Norman where I got the 360 special edition for 89euro, groovy!
    I just have to wait for my 5 year old to retire to bed before I can turn it on!
    The package is pretty nice, a lock box, like a safety deposit box in the movies, only matt black with the GTA logo on it, a duffle bag, soundtrack cd, art book, key ring and keys for the lock box.

Oh, and a copy of the game!

I am a very happy man!

I went into the Square yesterday at lunchtime to try to get a copy. None in Tesco (Damnit!), none in Game, went into the Xtravision game shop there, and there were a few cases on the shelf, but the guy told me that they were all for pre-orders. (Double damnit!) Then as I was about to leave, he said we do have the Special edition for €90... so I asked what was different with the special edition, so he took it out and showed me, I think it's quality, the safe deposit box, duffle bag, art book and keyring are all pretty cool, and was driving back to work with the intro music blaring out :D

Advertisement