Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xavi on Barca, the Champions League and rejecting United

• 23-04-2008 8:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

In the run up to tonight's Champions League game, I found this quite interesting interview with Xavi. He talks about his education at the Nou Camp, his interest in becoming a team mate of Cristiano Ronaldo's (at Barca) and the poor football played by Liverpool and Chelsea.
    From The Times
    April 21, 2008

Xavi Hernandez holds true to the finer arts and crafts

Guillem Balague

Few players are as essential to the football that is produced by their team as Xavi Hernández, the Barcelona midfield player. He chooses the musical score with the precision of an experienced conductor. He gives way to the soloists, dictates the tempo, shows the way. If Xavi keeps the ball for long enough, Barcelona govern the match; if the team lose sight of him, the Catalan side forget their philosophy.

It all started with Johan Cruyff and the “rondos”, a training exercise that tells you everything you need to know about the modern Barcelona: it consists of a circle of players who pass the ball to each other with one in the centre trying to catch it. The Dutch genius decided that football started with the ball. Then a generation of fours (the number given to the footballer in front of the defenders) started being produced in the lower ranks of Barcelona — Luis Milla, Josep Guardiola, Xavi, Andrés Iniesta, Mikel Arteta, Cesc Fàbregas — all of them intelligent, all of them knots in the rope that is the Barcelona philosophy.

“Lovers of offensive, good football will really enjoy this semi-final,” Xavi says. “Chelsea and Liverpool offer a more practical football, more direct, stronger physically. But Manchester United are close to us in the way they understand the game. They also want to keep the ball, to pass to arrive in the rivals’ box, to pressure the opposition in their own half.

“Football is becoming a very fast game, very physical, full of hard workers, it is all about the second balls. It has become successful to play like that and that saddens me. I am from a school of technical football, of touching the ball, of passing, which I think fans appreciate more. Let’s see who will win at the end because the final in Moscow will have a representative of those two contrasting styles.”

It is difficult to accept that what Liverpool and Arsenal played in the second leg of their quarter-final at Anfield on April 8 was not good football, but Xavi was brought up in a different era. “Imagine a mixture of a high rhythm and good passing, when the ball is running 100 miles an hour, not the player,” he says. “That would be brilliant to watch and successful.

It is true the pace of that match [Liverpool-Arsenal] was amazing, but the ball was lost or robbed every 30 seconds — that is not beautiful football. Football is played with the ball, it is about moving it from one side to another to find spaces, to find yourself in superiority in a wing, have little moments of magic.”

If football is going the way of Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal, how can a Manchester United or a Barcelona stop them? “Thinking quickly, that is the key,” Xavi says. “Thinking that you are going to come to put me under pressure, but I know my next move, my next pass. Have a team that moves constantly without the ball. Pass the ball not with the first touch, but with half a touch. We can all be physical, but not everybody can be technically adept, that needs training and faith in that style. This way of playing has got much more merit.”

Xavi, consciously, mentions many of the things that Barcelona are missing and that made them special until two seasons ago. The club are about to bring about some changes that could include the departure of Frank Rijkaard as coach and the arrival to the bench of Guardiola, the midfield player, whom Xavi replaced in influence on and off the pitch. “There is a battle between those who think that they have the power and those that fight to have that power,” Xavi says, “and we are in the middle, reading things in one paper and the opposite in the other.”

Xavi gives the impression that the players know where things went wrong (the likely failure to win La Liga for the second consecutive year is only partially overshadowed by an appearance in the semi-finals of the Champions League) and how to apply the solutions. “We have had many internal problems this season, with some footballers, especially. The Ronaldinho case has hurt us a lot. People talk about crisis and we are in the semi-finals of the Champions League. People say, ‘Ronnie goes out’, ‘Ronnie will sign for Milan’ or wherever and we are about to play one of the most important games ever. We don’t go out on the pitch with the calmness necessary to play our best football.”

One of the appetising things for a lover of football such as Xavi is the possibility of facing Cristiano Ronaldo, “With [Lionel] Messi, he is the best player in the world. In fact, he is in front of Leo in terms of influence in a game,” Xavi says. “The kid has everything — we are talking about physical and technical football.”

But there is something that, from a distance, worries him about the Portugal star. “I have the impression, but I don’t know him, that he spends too much time with things that are not football-related. He has goals, dribbling, pace and a winning mentality. But also he overcomplicates things. He feels so superior to everybody, and rightly so, that he tries things that sometimes are unnecessary.

“I think he could be a much better player if he was here, playing with us. I have a soft spot for him, I would love him to join us. He would be a better footballer, I feel that he doesn’t get as much pressure, as many demands as he would get here. In England, if you do a couple of things right, people talk about you being a legend. Here if you don’t do a control properly or if you throw the ball to the stands, people hate you, so you have to become a better player.”

Maybe that was why Xavi did not take the opportunity to go to United when he had it recently. “I got a call from a relative of Mr Ferguson, they were looking for midfielders to continue the brand of football they always create,” he reveals. “I am very proud to have been approached. But I am a big Barcelona fan and I would love to retire here. The problem is there is so much pressure here, so many good players that arrive, that I am not sure I will be able to.

“Look at [Thierry] Henry. He signed thinking he was going to be given time to recover after a long injury, that he was not going to play all the games. We got injury problems, he had to play them all and he has suffered physically. Plus, he has the [Fernando] Torres effect, but inverted. Where Torres is a better player over in England, with all the space he finds in front of him, here defences place themselves in their own box. Thierry is like a horse that needs space to run and he doesn’t find it here. He has played better in away games, but in the Camp Nou he struggles.”

Xavi offers an insight into what Rijkaard might be preparing for the United game. Maybe Bojan [Krkic] and Messi with [Samuel] Eto’o up front, and Henry for the second leg? “The key will be not to concede a goal at the Camp Nou, and that is going to be very complicated,” he says. “But if we do concede, we always score away. It is going to be very equal, much more than I am hearing people think it will be.” Xavi smiles. He became a footballer for these kind of games and no one is going to spoil it.

What a legend!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

did I read that wrong, or did he give out about Arsenal's style of football and made a sweeping comment that they are in the same camp as Liverpool and Chelsea? have to go wtf? at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

A lack of pressure at at United? Eh...yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I think he was referring to just that particular game with regard to Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

did I read that wrong, or did he give out about Arsenal's style of football and made a sweeping comment that they are in the same camp as Liverpool and Chelsea? have to go wtf? at that.

Haha, yeah..that's a very strange thing to say to be honest!
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    I think he was referring to just that particular game with regard to Arsenal

"If football is going the way of Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal, how can a Manchester United or a Barcelona stop them?"

Tauren wrote: »
    A lack of pressure at at United? Eh...yeah.

He does have a point though. If Vidic hoofs the ball to row Z everyone applaudes. If Puyol was to do that he'd be booed for not playing himself out of trouble 'The Barca Way'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Xavi needs more cynicism. Beautiful football will only get you so far.

He does have a point though. If Vidic hoofs the ball to row Z everyone applaudes. If Puyol was to do that he'd be booed for not playing himself out of trouble 'The Barca Way'.

Then what about Valdes? The guy is an utter liability, makes a number of screw ups every season - still there. Is he hated?

Also, I have seen Puyol clear to safety when appropriate (as ANY defender would do) - as I have Marquez.

I love Barca as a club, and I love the way they play but some of the blind worship they get is a joke. To say there is less pressure to perform well at United is just wrong. To say there is less of a focus on the football is wrong - recent foreign signings have come out and said they can not believe how focused on football the life of a United player is as a result of the demands made by the club.

Then what about Valdes? The guy is an utter liability, makes a number of screw ups every season - still there. Is he hated?

Also, I have seen Puyol clear to safety when appropriate (as ANY defender would do) - as I have Marquez.

I never said they don't do it, I just said it's frowned upon, which it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I love Barca as a club, and I love the way they play but some of the blind worship they get is a joke. To say there is less pressure to perform well at United is just wrong. To say there is less of a focus on the football is wrong - recent foreign signings have come out and said they can not believe how focused on football the life of a United player is as a result of the demands made by the club.

When I watch Barca Valdes always looks very very good. Obviously with their formation he is more exposed than he would be at United.

I never said they don't do it, I just said it's frowned upon, which it is.

but they do it, so the pressure to not do is evidently not enough to stop them. Also, it is balls to say United fans don't frown on needless hoofs away - Silvestre's long ball is the main things i hate about the guy. The ethos as United is to play great attacking football - managers have been sacked in the past for not producing it - but hell, we're delighted with row 'Z' hoofs cause the great Xavi implies so. Yeah, right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Although I do like the praise for United, I think alot of he is saying about Barca only playing good football is an attempt to make up their rubbish season.

Thats not Uniteds problem. Maybe thats why Barca are dodgy at the back? Look at last night for example, ask Frank Lampard how far playing himself out of trouble got him.

I would hate for United to become a long ball, mechanical team more than anything, but the way the play now I have absolutely no problem with the necessities of good defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Thats not United problem. maybe thats why Barca are dodgy at the baack? look at last night, ask Frank Lampard how far playing himself out of trouble got him.

I would hate United to become a long ball, mechanical team more than anything but the way the play now I have absolutely no problem with the necessities of good defending.

Arsenal fan here, I agree the occasional hoof is necessary! We've been caught out, trying to pass the ball out of the box a few times this season!

Thats not Uniteds problem. Maybe thats why Barca are dodgy at the back? Look at last night for example, ask Frank Lampard how far playing himself out of trouble got him.

I would hate for United to become a long ball, mechanical team more than anything, but the way the play now I have absolutely no problem with the necessities of good defending.

Of course that's why they're dodgy at the back. I'm not disagreeing there at all.

All I'm saying is that players who come up through the ranks at Barca are thought to play a centre way. It becomes second nature. The fans know this and hence the expectation to play that way all the time, even if the situation does merit a quick hoof.

Look at Ajax. The kids in the academy play in a different position every week up until a certain age so they get used to every aspect of the game. Yet the emphasis on passing the ball all the time is still there. That's the ethos Cryuff instilled in Barca and players like Xavi. It's certainly not that way at grassroots level in the English game.

Of course that's why they're dodgy at the back. I'm not disagreeing there at all.

All I'm saying is that players who come up through the ranks at Barca are thought to play a centre way. It becomes second nature. The fans know this and hence the expectation to play that way all the time, even if the situation does merit a quick hoof.

Look at Ajax. The kids in the academy play in a different position every week up until a certain age so they get used to every aspect of the game. Yet the emphasis on passing the ball all the time is still there. That's the ethos Cryuff instilled in Barca and players like Xavi. It's certainly not that way at grassroots level in the English game.

what has that got to do with anything? The argument is still whether there is less pressure to do well at United - which is what Xavi said. I could care less about the ethos of the club and playing style - it doesn't matter. Xavi said Ronaldo is not under pressure to perform or improve at United, or at least not to the same level as Barcelona. I say that is rubbish - the pressure for United to win is MASSIVE. Every bit as intense as Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...463322,00.html

I hope Ronaldo shoves those words down his throat tonight.

"However, Xavi has also insinuated that Ronaldo has it easy in England as he given more time and space to showcase his talent, and feels that a real test of his ability would be provided by the tight and uncompromising defences in the Primera Division."

Ronaldo is also top scorer in Champs league. And we haven't played an English team in the competition........yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

One of the appetising things for a lover of football such as Xavi is the possibility of facing Cristiano Ronaldo, “With [Lionel] Messi, he is the best player in the world. In fact, he is in front of Leo in terms of influence in a game."

I think that the two legs will determine who the best player in the world is. If Ronaldo helps United into the final then that will be enough for me and I'll regard him as the world's best. I still have reservations though in light of last season's semi-final performance.

It's another intriguing aspect in this engaging tie and I can't wait to see who wields the greater influence.

deisedevil wrote: »
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...463322,00.html

I hope Ronaldo shoves those words down his throat tonight.

"However, Xavi has also insinuated that Ronaldo has it easy in England as he given more time and space to showcase his talent, and feels that a real test of his ability would be provided by the tight and uncompromising defences in the Primera Division."

Ronaldo is also top scorer in Champs league. And we haven't played an English team in the competition........yet!

Usual thing to say before a big game tbh.

Link's broken btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Possibly. Possibly he was out of contract and free to talk to other clubs. Possibly it was a prank call. Possibly Xavi made it up! Posssibly he got tapped up. Possibly Xavi is an alien! Possibly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I stopped reading after he lumped Arsenal's style of football in with Liverpool and Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So the long ball by Rio up over the midfield to try and find Rooney are just long passes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I was kinda hoping there would be animosity between Barca and United, particuarly towards Ronaldo. I don't think Messi would ever go to Chelsea after what happened, so I'm kinda hoping if we play enough of these teams, Ronaldo will hate them all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Utd never tap anyone up.

Utd never play long balls.

Neither do Barca?

What are people actually arguing about in this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

That was going to be my response also.
    Xavi is making judgments about Ronaldo saying he over-complicates things at times. To be fair that's true. But not a huge amount of logic saying that when the same can be said about his argument regarding the way in which the defense plays. He can say Ronaldo over complicates things or the English game plays at a hundred miles an hour and gives the ball away/gets you into trouble and so can his ethos of 'playing football' at the back. If you're going to point the finger etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

what has that got to do with anything? The argument is still whether there is less pressure to do well at United - which is what Xavi said. I could care less about the ethos of the club and playing style - it doesn't matter. Xavi said Ronaldo is not under pressure to perform or improve at United, or at least not to the same level as Barcelona. I say that is rubbish - the pressure for United to win is MASSIVE. Every bit as intense as Barcelona.
    I think there is more pressure at Barca. They're simply more demanding. If Mourinho went to Barcelona and repeated his Porto and Chelsea success playing that way he wouldn't last too long. They're basically the same as Real Madrid with their expectations of winning and winning in style. Capello was sacked at Madrid last season, despite a thrilling run-in to win the title, because their football was too rigid. Jupp Heynckes was sacked at Madrid after winning the European Cup in 98, Del Bosque after winning the league in 2003, and Louis Van Gaal was sacked at Barca after winning two league titles. That has to be a far more pressurised environment than anywhere in England - Man Utd included. Ronaldo went to Madrid and scored over 100 goals but was still constantly jeered. Do you think Man Utd fans would have been as demanding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

he's not half the player Iniesta is

Trilla wrote: »
    he's not half the player Iniesta is

ROFL. Good one :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

and neither are half the player alonso is!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

In England, if you do a couple of things right, people talk about you being a legend

he's not wrong there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Mr Alan wrote: »
    and neither are half the player alonso is!

;)

Hahaha, pretty hilarious.

This was clearly quite a bit of pre match mind games. Relaxxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

I just cant see why people consider Xavi to be up there with the best midfielders, watched him closely last night, Scholes far superior, Inniesta who I don't particularly rate either was better, Alonso better again, Fabergas no comparison I'd even say Arteta at a better club would be a better player, all Spanish midfielders. Xavi talks about beautiful football- slow, predictable, easy to defend against, that’s all I saw from him and his teammates, well apart from Messi of course!

I do agree with him though I reckon they'll score at Old Trafford, Utd were brutal, what was he thinking with Park?? All he contributed was a few tackles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I take it good football to you spiderdan is kick and rush?

Xavi was the best player on the park last night, he controlled the game, dictated how it went and how his side moved. Football isn't always moving at 100mph, good football is about knowing when and where to do that. Slow the game down when you need to and speed up when you need to. If you keep the ball the opposition can't score. Last night he kept it and I personally don't think I saw him mis place one pass all night.

Now if you think scholes, inniesta, alonso, fiberglas and arteta are better players then you need to watch more football and become educated in the game. Inniesta and fiberglass are teh two closest to him for sure but still not on the same level as him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

iregk wrote: »
    I take it good football to you spiderdan is kick and rush?

Xavi was the best player on the park last night, he controlled the game, dictated how it went and how his side moved. Football isn't always moving at 100mph, good football is about knowing when and where to do that. Slow the game down when you need to and speed up when you need to. If you keep the ball the opposition can't score. Last night he kept it and I personally don't think I saw him mis place one pass all night.

Now if you think scholes, inniesta, alonso, fiberglas and arteta are better players then you need to watch more football and become educated in the game. Inniesta and fiberglass are teh two closest to him for sure but still not on the same level as him.

Im sorry but I thought Iniesta was far better last night. He's the real heartbeat to the Barcelona team and has been all season. He's a wonderful little player, and while I am a big Xavi fan, I would take Iniesta over him any day of the week. He's one of the top 3 players in the world imo.

• Advertisement

spiderdan wrote: »
    I just cant see why people consider Xavi to be up there with the best midfielders, watched him closely last night, Scholes far superior, Inniesta who I don't particularly rate either was better, Alonso better again, Fabergas no comparison I'd even say Arteta at a better club would be a better player, all Spanish midfielders. Xavi talks about beautiful football- slow, predictable, easy to defend against, that’s all I saw from him and his teammates, well apart from Messi of course!

Scholes far superior? Ha, tell him to close his legs next week.

Alonso is well below him in the pecking order for Spain

Arteta can't even make the squad.

Fabregas and Iniesta are great players but to say Xavi isn't up there with them is laughable. Just because he doesn't try beat five players ever time he gets the ball or ping 60 yard balls doesn't mean he isn't affective. He rarely, if ever, gives the ball away and is a calming influence on the team.

He's not captain of the club (in Puyol's absence) and a mainstay in the international team for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Archimedes wrote: »
    Im sorry but I thought Iniesta was far better last night. He's the real heartbeat to the Barcelona team and has been all season. He's a wonderful little player, and while I am a big Xavi fan, I would take Iniesta over him any day of the week. He's one of the top 3 players in the world imo.

Oh I agree with you in teh context that Inniesta is a fabulous player no doubt. For me the two best midfielders in the world are Xavi and Inniesta. As for who was better last night I suppose its agree to disagree. Half would say Xavi half would probably say Andy!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

I agree that he's a good player, all I'm saying is that he's overrated- as for the bulls**t statement about getting an education on football etc, I watched the game, where was the penatration?? none he may be fantastic at controlling the pace of a game but grab it by the balls and create chances- not last night, I also think there's a question make over his shooting ability, and his size 5'7, couldn't see him adapting well in the prem league- All I'm saying is I'd have Scholes, Gerard, Lampard, Alonoso, Fabergas all ahead of him- and for my money most of the top Euro clubs would too! we'll see all the speculation this summer surrounding those players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Look at Ajax. The kids in the academy play in a different position every week up until a certain age so they get used to every aspect of the game. Yet the emphasis on passing the ball all the time is still there.

That's really interesting. I've always been really curious about ajax's academy because it has to be the best in the world. I wish there was a book I could read about it :P

Scholes imo was better than Xavi, not anymore though. But they aren't the same sort of player, Scholes was always a goal threat. Xavi is more like a 50 times better version of Carrick. Amazing player.

Still, Xavi is better than Fabregas currently, way way better than Alonso, and its a joke to even mention him with Arteta. Have one of those players put in a performance like that against Uniteds midfield and then I'll take notice.

Also, I'd take Iniesta in a second over Gerrard Lampard and Alonso. I think he's an amazing player, by far Barcas best player this year. For me, he is Anderson but 4 years ahead, I just hope Anderson can catch up with him :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Xavi when it comes to internationals, is by far Spain's most important midfielder, he has put Iniesta and Fabregas to shame on a number of occasions. Watch him in Euro 08, he will be their most influential midfielder. To call him overrated is pretty hilarious, seeing as he's behind Iniesta, Messi, Etoo, Deco, Ronaldinho and Henry hype wise. Alonso has been a piece of faeces embodied in a person this year tbh.

spiderdan wrote: »
    I agree that he's a good player, all I'm saying is that he's overrated- as for the bulls**t statement about getting an education on football etc, I watched the game, where was the penatration?? none he may be fantastic at controlling the pace of a game but grab it by the balls and create chances- not last night, I also think there's a question make over his shooting ability, and his size 5'7, couldn't see him adapting well in the prem league- All I'm saying is I'd have Scholes, Gerard, Lampard, Alonoso, Fabergas all ahead of him- and for my money most of the top Euro clubs would too! we'll see all the speculation this summer surrounding those players!

Yes cause Xavi could never possibly be linked with any of the big Euroepan clubs.......oh wait now, wasn't he linked with both United and Chelsea last summer? Doesn't he say United phoned him last summer in that interview?

And to quote his agent -
    "In the last few seasons I have had a few indirect enquiries about the player but that is normal in the world of football.

So yes teams are interested in him. How could they not be?

Advertisement