Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottled Gas Regulations?

• 23-04-2008 9:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Am I allowed to run a gas hob from a gas bottle that is stored inside the house? It is very common to put the bottle outside but I would rather put it in a cupboard in the utilty room adjoining the kitchen and run the pipe through the wall.

Is this allowed or is it a big no-no in case it all goes boom?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I don't know of any regulations, but I'm open to correction. Though if those regulations existed, then things like superser heaters would surely be illegal as they require the cylinder to be right there, so I'd say there's no regulations. I guess it's just safer to have it outside......and in my case, I don't have space inside, so it was easier drill a hole and have it outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭maims3875

Check out the Flogas Website, they have details and guidelines regarding the regulation and handling / storage of LPG gas cylinders. http://www.flogas.net

As a quick answer, no, you shouldn't store the gas cylinder inside the house. The butane /propane gas in your cylinder is a hydrocarbon gas, highly flammable, and is heavier than air, so any leak builds up from ground level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

Had a quick look on the flogas website and the only recommendations that I can find regarding the use of cylinders indoors in a domestic setting are the following:

Requirements For Using Butane and Propane Cylinders Indoors

In domestic premises, propane cylinders should never be used or kept indoors.

In domestic premises, butane cylinders may be used indoors provided (a) the cylinder valves are self-closing (all Flogas butane cylinders have self-closing valves), (b) the capacity of the cylinder is not greater than 15 Kg (all Flogas butane cylinders are below this), (c) the number of cylinders is kept to a minimum, and (d) the cylinders are well-ventilated and NOT below ground level.

Other than that, the only specific regulation that I can find mentioned is with regards to storage of these cylinders by a retailer.

I.S. 3213, Code of Practice for the Storage of LPG Cylinders and Cartridges
    This is concerned with suitable locations and precautions for the storage of cylinders (i.e. NOT in use): it's main relevance is to dealers and distributors who resell or distribute LPG cylinders.

There is a mention of I.S.813 but difficult to find any details without purchasing it.

Not a lot on the calor gas website either:
    http://www.calor.ie/filestore/documents/brochures/Using_Calor_Butane_Safety.pdf

http://www.calor.ie/filestore/documents/brochures/Using_Propane_Safety_Leaf_A4.pdf

Common sense is what applies. If it were me, I don't think I would be any way happy having a cylinder inside a press in my house as it is not ventilated at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 chipclub

chuckles30 wrote: »
    I don't know of any regulations, but I'm open to correction. Though if those regulations existed, then things like superser heaters would surely be illegal as they require the cylinder to be right there, so I'd say there's no regulations. I guess it's just safer to have it outside......and in my case, I don't have space inside, so it was easier drill a hole and have it outside.

Ah of course, the old superser heaters. Not only are the gas bottles indoors and right beside the flame, they are also portable and can be wheeled round the place so if that is deemed safe then I can't see the problem with a cooker.

My mother used to have a big old gas cooker that had a storage compartment on one side for the gas bottle. She had the thing for 20 years and none of us ever died from gas leakage.

I think my biggest problem will be getting somebody to do the connection. If gas fitters are anything like plumbers and electricians I could be in a for quite a struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

There are differences between portable and fixed equipment so have a look at the advice given here in another thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55746900&postcount=18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cr17

old thread i know but does anyone one know where to bring some old gas cylinders that were in my garden. Can i just bring these to a shop that sells them ?

Advertisement