Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant dog barking

Options
  • 23-04-2008 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hello guys...I believe this is one of my very first and very few posts, but I need your help!!!
    We moved to Waterford just 3-4 weeks ago and we are not familiar with the town and organizations..However the problem is : we live in Grantstown park and our neighbor is leaving his dog outside for the whole day. The poor thing is there it doesnt matter rain or snow, plus is barking CONSTANTLY !!! Is that normal?? We are a bit fed up with it !!! Im working from home and its impossible to concentrate and my husband is working shifts..he goes to bed at 3 at night...at 8 in the morning he has to get up, because of the dog. IS THAT NORMAL?I understand everybody has his rights, BUT this is not my right...is it?
    Where can I write complain? Can I do that at all?

Thank you !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Squiggle

In the first instance I'd have a friendly chat with the neighbour and explain the problems it is causing you and your husband. Any reasonable neighbour will act to remedy the situation. If they don't cooperate then the law is on your side - scroll down to " Barking Dogs" in Citizen's Information.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think this is better suited to Animal & Pet forum, who can answer your questions a bit better probably :)

Welcome to Boards :)

Topic Moved!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

May I suggest you move this to the Hunting thread :D

My friend was having the same proplem, he wrote to the owners (not giving his name) and told them about the law's surronding the noise of dogs barking and how, by law, its up to them to keep it under control,( control of dogs act 1986, Google it and put and attach a copy to the letter,) but nothing changed. He then rang up the local ISCPA / animal welfare and told them about the non stop barking, never let out etc. They said it was because the dog is not getting love and excercise by the owner. They came out to the house and warned the owners. The next day there was a muzzel on the dog which was even worse !! :( My friend told the ISPCA / animal welfare and they came out to them again. A week later the dog was gone !!

There is nothing worse than a dog barking all day :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Whatever about the neighbours, I can't image the owners enjoy listening to their dog barking all day. It's enough to drive anyone to distraction.

It usually comes down to laziness- to lazy to walk the dog, too lazy to spend time training him or her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Solo-Evolution

gaz wac ..because we are new here we didnt want to go str8 to the owners nd maybe understood wrongly..however I was planning to write them a note and just leave it. I ll attach the papers I have and the fines for such a behavior !!

Glowing -- its fine for them ..they are gone to work...we are the one who live with their dog !

• Advertisement

Hi Solo,

Your taking me up wrong or getting my post mixed with another, I would never go direct to the owner, you never know how they will take it, and it will make things weird !! im saying, write a letter but drop it into their door late at night or when they aint around but just dont put your name on it :)

wow :) I just read this :
    Making a complaint

You should approach the person or business causing the noise and explain that it is a nuisance and try to come to a mutually acceptable solution. If this does not work, your local authority has the same power as individuals to bring noise complaints to the District Court. In addition, local authorities have similar powers to the Environmental Protection Agency in relation to premises, processes and works other than those that require licensing under the Environmental Protection Agency Act. The Environmental Protection Agency can require the person or body to take specific measures to prevent or limit noise. Anyone required to take such specific measures by the Environmental Protection Agency must do so or face prosecution.

thats why...i m not up for this challenge either..if he really doesnt care for his dog, I believe he ll not care for me neither,,, :rolleyes:

Give him a week after you send the letter with all the info on it, if nothing changes.... contact them and let them deal with him direct !!!

i was thinking to ask the houses around if they are fine with that............:rolleyes:

That just means more people envolved, your bringing it up so your name will always be attached to it and you know the neighbour will find out, these things always back fire when a few people know, well they do with me :D !! He will have to act on your letter and when the Author. gets envolved, if not, the cops will shoot him (or the dog) :p

Good luck

Gaz Wac

• Advertisement

im renting the house...i can move out ;),BUT this is not way of solving a problem is it?

Your renting !!! you do know its dead money dont you tee hee :D:D:D

na, you stay there, let him sort this mess out!! I swear you will see a big difference when you send the letter, he might be more emmbarresed than anything !!

i DO know that...:( ,but some ppl dont have all the choices at once :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Solo - please check your PMs....and move house, especially as you're renting. It's less hassle - believe me.

freddie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Solo.. If it was me (and I suspect I know a dog just like the one in question!) I'd skip talking to the neighbour and go to someone else who's trained to deal with problematic people like the ISPCA or some of the other suggestions here. Its bad enough if the neighbour cant care less about the noise.. better to avoid having someone like that make your day any worse when you write / knock on their door.

my letter is ready,but shame my husband forgot it when going to work .... :rolleyes:
    i came from a long day working nd i know im not gonna have a long sleep...
    thank u guys...all of ur comments make me feel better nd confident that it wasnt only me thinking that dog barking is a problem...if u want ur dog to bark and nobody to care..then move out of town...in the forest...but while living between ppl behave as such..
    Freddie now I have to start looking for ppl renting houses rights :rolleyes: is this a good enough reason to want to brake a contract nd so on ?! .....
    i love the house...why we have to move?? what did we do wrong?

silence !!!
    so maybe it was enough to write it here?!?!
    lets see how long that will be...:rolleyes:

ok..the story i snot over....it was a long bank holiday :(
    but i got an animal rescue number...so i ll call tomorrow..to ask them what to do or if they should do smtg ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I've a similar problem but I live in a small village and you see the people all the time so it makes it very awkward to complain without looking like a complete busy body. The dog is left on it's own and it's not the animals fault but it barks like crazy, if I could make an annoymous complaint I would as I know it has to be annoying other people and the dog's welfare could be improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

nhughes100 wrote: »
    I've a similar problem but I live in a small village and you see the people all the time so it makes it very awkward to complain without looking like a complete busy body. The dog is left on it's own and it's not the animals fault but it barks like crazy, if I could make an annoymous complaint I would as I know it has to be annoying other people and the dog's welfare could be improved.

I have a little dog and he barks a bit. I would not get offended if someone approached me about him barking, they would be well within their rights as you are in this case. Through advice that people on this board have offered, we have tried to minimise it by having him sleep inside etc

Approach them in a friendly manner, you never know, they surprise ya!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

heres my 2 cents

if theyre not at home all day you can train the dog.... buy a dog dazer like this one http://www.dogdazer.co.uk/

whenever the dog barks give him a 2 second press of this...it doesnt harm the dog at all...but you'll have to time it so he associates the noise from the dog dazer with his barking...so you need to press it while he's barking

poor thing is probably lonely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Typhoon. wrote: »
    heres my 2 cents

if theyre not at home all day you can train the dog.... buy a dog dazer like this one http://www.dogdazer.co.uk/

whenever the dog barks give him a 2 second press of this...it doesnt harm the dog at all...but you'll have to time it so he associates the noise from the dog dazer with his barking...so you need to press it while he's barking

poor thing is probably lonely

Firsat thing I thought of... a friend of mine says they are great.
    Won't help the dogs loneliness though. Guess you can't pick your master :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

yeah they work on cats too

only thing is ...if the dog is old his hearing mightnt be the be the best :D

Trotter wrote: »
    Solo.. If it was me (and I suspect I know a dog just like the one in question!) I'd skip talking to the neighbour and go to someone else who's trained to deal with problematic people like the ISPCA or some of the other suggestions here. Its bad enough if the neighbour cant care less about the noise.. better to avoid having someone like that make your day any worse when you write / knock on their door.

Only advice I would give here is not to ask a Dog Warden. They're worse than useless in my area. Just stand back and say they have no legal powers to intervene in a case where the dog is barking consistently.:rolleyes:

my letter is ready,but shame my husband forgot it when going to work .... :rolleyes:
    i came from a long day working nd i know im not gonna have a long sleep...
    thank u guys...all of ur comments make me feel better nd confident that it wasnt only me thinking that dog barking is a problem...if u want ur dog to bark and nobody to care..then move out of town...in the forest...but while living between ppl behave as such..
    Freddie now I have to start looking for ppl renting houses rights :rolleyes: is this a good enough reason to want to brake a contract nd so on ?! .....
    i love the house...why we have to move?? what did we do wrong?

Solo, unfortunately you haven't done anything wrong. In Ireland some dog owners appear to believe that it is the job's dog - and right - to bark all day in order to "protect their property".

Advertisement