Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We suck, but we want to play nonetheless

• 23-04-2008 9:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

Me and a bud were in Corcagh Park/Clondalkin diamonds last Tuesday. We were just practicing fly balls and pitching. At the end of the day we realized...we suck, but it was great fun. This is pretty sad since I am an American and have been playing off and on for 30 years or so. However, I was wondering if anyone else that sucked, or wanted to learn how to be good enough to say they suck at baseball, wanna maybe join us sometime? I would be more than happy to familiarize folks with the rules(the ones I remember anyways), and the basics of swinging, throwing, catching. I'm no coach, so it's gonna be very relaxed and learn as ya go.

I have 2 gloves, with one more on the way. A very raggety first basemans mitt, which is barely usable, and a couple of little league bats(and will have an MLB one soon as I can find one). My hands are smallish, so ya really wanna get yer own glove if you can(breaking in a glove is half the fun, and I can order gloves from the states for anyone that wishes to pay the costs). Last Tuesday turned into mostly a batting practice and pitching practice day. Er "pitching" practice I should say. So it doesn't have to be an organized game or anything. There's no pressure. Once you connect on a baseball and send one flying, ya get addicted.

So, anyways, would anyone be interested? It would be very casual, as social as it would be sport.

Here's the adult league schedule, so we'd have to plan around the corcagh park days:
    http://www.baseballireland.com/adult_league.htm
    I'll visit what games I can as well.

Wes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Probably exactly what i'd need :D Have bucket loads of work over the next month followed by a months travel but after that I defo wanna get some play in/

Anywhere that sells decent gloves around Dublin. The one I got stateside is wrecked at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Probably exactly what i'd need :D Have bucket loads of work over the next month followed by a months travel but after that I defo wanna get some play in/

Anywhere that sells decent gloves around Dublin. The one I got stateside is wrecked at this stage.

I couldn't find anyone that had gloves in Ireland. But, someone in the adult league might know, tho. I just put in a $300 glove order to a mate in California. I orderd most my stuff from http://www.beapro.com/ and http://www.ballglovewarehouse.com/. I haven't asked if they will ship to Ireland, though. I just have a bud send them onwards. Theres a place in the Netherlands that has good stuff at decent prices, but I lost the URL to it.
    In any case, I know a LOT about the equipment, so feel free to contact me if you have any questions on what to buy.

Wes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Does Elvery's not have a few gloves?

Only see a bat on their website. I hear JJB have some gloves. Might take a pop down someday and pick one up.

Only see a bat on their website. I hear JJB have some gloves. Might take a pop down someday and pick one up.

I found the site I was talking about:

http://www.covee.nl/shop/index.php?osCsid=c1466d7ec2a5e1ea4e405582cffd1d94

The prices are fair, and they claim 15 euro shipping in europe, too.

WYK

• Advertisement

Nice one wyk.

Just wondering now actually do they use wooden bats in the irish league or are aluminum allowed. I would have thought aluminum are allowed but dont see it anywhere on the site.

Nice one wyk.

Just wondering now actually do they use wooden bats in the irish league or are aluminum allowed. I would have thought aluminum are allowed but dont see it anywhere on the site.

In the states, Minor/Major league are wood only. College use aluminum(AKA Al Yoo Mineeum) ;). Many college players use wood, though. Why, I dunno - aluminum hits harder and swings faster. But wood bats feel SOOO good when ya connect on a ball, and sound so right.

WYK

OK, I have a couple of bats and gloves coming in the next few weeks. I am off from work for a couple weeks starting May 14th or so. I am gonna try and catch the Dublin adult league games those weekends as well. Does anyone want to play a little ball afterwards? Mebbe do some hitting and practice some pitching and throwing? I should have 2-3 gloves available for let.

Here's the adult schedule for the 17th and 18th:

May 17 11:00 Shanganagh Park A Black Sox 0 0 Mariners
    May 17 14:00 Shanganagh Park B Black Sox 0 0 Mariners
    May 18 11:00 Corkagh Park B Spartans 0 0 Cork Druids
    May 18 11:00 Corkagh Park A Spartans 0 0 Indios

Wes

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gavlong

I played in the Irish league for a couple of years.
    If you want to get involved, you should get along to one of the games and just mix with the players. They are a very friendly bunch who will make you feel welcome, and always want to encourage new players and promote interest.

In answer to your question, the league uses aluminium bats only, mostly for safety reasons.

Post any other questions you have, I will be happy to tell you what I know.

--
    Cheers,
    Gav.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jaysonia

The A league this year use only wooden bats. but the B league you are allowed to use both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Are ye still doing this? Might be interested if ya's are?

Gillington wrote: »
    Are ye still doing this? Might be interested if ya's are?

Most of us joined the Dublin teams. The B teams are a gas - it's like spring training.

Wes

Advertisement