Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

removing hooks & fish care questions

Options
  • 23-04-2008 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, Caught my first fresh water fish yesterday a little brownie and I had a bit of trouble getting the hook out, Ive only caught mackeral before,and Ive never had problem removing hooks with my fingers and I always bring em home for the pan anyway,the little fellah I caught yesterday took the bait in deep,the worm was coming out the the gills,I eventually got the hook out with my disgorger and popped him back in,thankfully I didnt seem him floating around,Whats the best way to disgorge a small, very wriggly fish,i couldnt do with the fish in my hand so I popped it down on the grass,line in one hand and disgorger in the other and slid it down the line onto the hook ,pushed in and popped out,it was very stressful for both us! ;) How long can a fish last out of the water? there was a bit of blood,is that a bad sign? whats the best way to hold the slipper fellos? what surface should they be laid on,grass or plastic? des a dry hand damage the fishes skin? I find panicking doesnt help!
    If I think theres no chance of getting the hook out after a lentgh of time should I dispatch the little guy and bring him home for a snack or for bait?
    If you dont strike quick enough can the fish swallow hook and bait too deep?

Thanks

And I was using a small barbless hook before anyone asks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

For maggots on tiny hooks the tube/ring on a probe works well.
    Like this:
    alloy.jpg
    Hook over line, slide down into fish's mouth onto hook bend, push hook free, lift out carefully.

They don't work so well with bigger hooks which have an eye that may catch on the little ring/tube tip. So for bigger baits like worms or deadbaits get an artery forceps about 8 - 10" long.

Something like this:
    13.248.15.JPG

It locks onto the hook and you can then concentrate on twisting-pushing the hook back and out. Or you can lock onto the hook bend and turn the hook upside down, a jiggle and it usually pops out to be withdrawn.

After a while you get used to seeing at a glance which technique will work best, by which way the hook is lodged, and choose the easier quicker way for each situation. A forceps can also clear the bait remainders off the hook first, if that prevents a clear view to unhook efficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Some good info there coolwings.
    Just a few additions
    Its something that needs practice but you will quickly get better.
    Wet your hands before touching any fish you intend to return.
    Never remove the fish from the water.
    Turning the fish belly up seems to make them wriggle about less.
    If theres no chance of getting the hook out without causing damage and the fish is too small to consider eating quickly snip the line close to the hook and return asap.

Its generally agreed that if they bleed you may as well kill them. Any damage to the gills ditto.
    Its hard to avoid deephooking when bait fishing thats another reason why i only fish the fly nowadays. Fished the worm a lot when i was younger and its a very enjoyable and skillfull method so im not knocking it. Fishing worms under a float is another matter ....

Advertisement