Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New VRT Rates

Options
  • 23-04-2008 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hopefully there is some car dealer out there that can put some input on this. I am about to get a new car this week in where the manufacturer has announced that all of their cars registered between April 08 and June 08 are going to have the reduced VRT (July Prices) Now the particular car that i am buying has a CO2 rating of 146 which falls in the 20% VRT - the old VRT was 22.5% for a 1.4. Now the dealer says that i am not entitled to this even tho the polciy blatently sates that i am cos i am registering the car in april. This 2.5% reduction means that i can pay less. The VRT is then payed by the manufacturer. So it looks like the garage/dealer are paying less VRT for this car and i am paying more. When i said this to them yesterday the dealer (Non Opel dealer) went off on such a tangent that i hadnt a clue what he is on about. Basically i said 'that someone is screwing me' and the car wont be leaving that grage until someone shows me figures. Plus i cant get any response from the manufacturer.
    Can someone confirm for me please!!! Please!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is this a brand new car you're buying? Also, you say the dealer is non-Opel, implying you're buying an Opel. Those new deals at the moment are only from participating dealers, and would not be from non-brand dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 twilo

Well the guy i am buying the car from is a Non Opel dealer. But he is getting it from another Opel Dealership. Its a new car, 1.4 with a CO2 rating of 146 so that means its VRT is coming down 2.5% in July in where Opel are stating that all cars registered between April 08 and Jun 08 are subject to these rates. Is the reduction calculated as 2.5% of the VRT amount or 2.5% of the cost price of the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Basically Opel / Volvo etc who are advertising that will give the new VRT rates are in effective giving you a discount on the price of the car equal to the difference between the new & old VRT rates.

If you are not trading in you should expect approx. 8% discount anyway off list prices.

And if you're not happy with the dealer you are currently talking to, then just go to another dealer, or even better still, go up north and you may find a saving of a further 10% due to sterling difference.

For a full list if new VRT rates go here

http://www.mtp.ie/VRT.html

you might find by a small switch in model, you will save a few hunderd euro

• Registered Users Posts: 37 twilo

The actual Model i am buying is an Astra 1.4 Sports Design which has now a VRT rating of 20% as oppose to its previous 22.5%. I already have the deal made and i am also trading a car in against it. But if the VRT has been reduced then that means that the dealer is getting subsidised by Opel and not passing the difference back to me. Am i right in saying that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Only Opel dealers are doing the deal. The dealer you are buying off will have to pay a trade price for the car he is buying from an Opel dealer and then pay the VAT and VRT to revenue. I'd say Opel Ireland, or whoever the distributor is, is offering this and reimbursing franchised dealers. Since you are not dealing with an Opel franchise you won't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

OP .. if you are not happy with the explaination you are getting from the dealer, go to an Opel dealer and see what deal they do for you ... compare price A with price B and see whos is better ... then go to dealer C get his price and so forth...

in this market the buyer holds all the aces, so make the dealer work for your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

I agree with whippet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

As other posters have said, it's probably only certain authorised Opel dealers who are offering this deal. Your dealer, who is effectively a middleman won't be offering this saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

This is better suited to the motors forum.

Stuff like this gets discused all the time, and theres a sticky on VRT etc.

Advertisement