Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If I import a second hand car from the UK after 1/07 will my car tax be based on c02?

Options
  • 23-04-2008 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry i've read the sticky, still not 100%

I'm going to be importing a car from the UK after july the 1st (my sisters), can I still tax it as a 2.0l or will it be based on the car emissions. If it's on emissions the car falls into the highest c02 category.....

I'm struggling to find the correct answer, I need to be 100% on this...

thanks
    dm

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

it will be VRT'd on CO2 emissions and because its over 225g/km then yes you will be taxed at €2000 per year.

what car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

You'll get better results if you give the car's details (Age, make, model, engine size, fuel etc). The more detail the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

02 Mercedes C200 Kompressor Saloon - 236g C02

kceire wrote: »
    it will be VRT'd on CO2 emissions and because its over 225g/km then yes you will be taxed at €2000 per year.

what car is it?

Thanks for the info, Can you back that up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Thanks for the info, Can you back that up?

Consider it backed up. He's absolutely correct - €2,000 road tax and 36% VRT.

• Advertisement

AudiChris wrote: »
    Consider it backed up. He's absolutely correct - €2,000 road tax and 36% VRT.

When can i verify that is correct, I believe you but I just can't find the evidence, I read something one week in the paper and then it's the different the following.....where's the proof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

The info is correct and here's is the proof !
    Its about the only good thing relating to the CO2 changes
    as it means Ireland cant be used as a dumping ground for high
    end polluting cars from other markets !

So you had better get on the boat sooner rather than later !!

http://www.simi.ie/Files/simi_roadtaxvrt.pdf

Good and bad news.....it means my impreza will go up in value as it'll cost €2000 to tax a high powerd jap import after the 1st of July....

Band news is it's €5026 Vrt + Road Tax + Nct on the merc.....ouch!! :(

Isin't this new co2 emissions tax going to do away with high powered imports for road use.....seems like a boy racer tax more than a way to save the environment......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't know if I'd trust a SIMI site to have the correct info. Was listening to the Right Hook last week and the guy from the SIMI was talking about the new tax rates and he was wrong. He said all imports would be on CO2 tax.

OP best bet is to call the revenue.

EDIT,
    From revenue web site

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,16978,en.doc
    All new cars registered from 1 July 2008 will have their motor tax rate based on the CO2 emissions level. The new CO2 based system will not apply to second-hand imports that were registered abroad prior to 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

So just to be clear on this.....

I was sure I understood things but now there seems to be a bit of confusion. (I think I might have heard the same fella from Simi on the radio as another poster)

VRT is straight forward enough..

On Tax..Is this correct :

All cars (New and Second Hand) registered before July will be taxed at the old Rate based on Engine Size.

All cars (New or Imported Second Hand) registered after July will be taxed at the new Rate based on Emissions.

Oiu \ Non....?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

Your VRT will be at 36% and the road tax will be cc based.

This is for anything pre 2008 being imported.

BnA wrote: »
    So just to be clear on this.....

I was sure I understood things but now there seems to be a bit of confusion. (I think I might have heard the same fella from Simi on the radio as another poster)

VRT is straight forward enough..

On Tax..Is this correct :

All cars (New and Second Hand) registered before July will be taxed at the old Rate based on Engine Size.

All cars (New or Imported Second Hand) registered after July will be taxed at the new Rate based on Emissions.

Oiu \ Non....?

VRT is completely date based - all new regs (new Irish cars and all imported cars) will be on CO2 VRT after 1st July.

Road Tax is "year of first registration" AND date based.
    -If you bought a 08 car in Ireland and taxed it pre-July you'll pay the old road tax, but when you go to re-tax the car you'll be able to opt into the CO2 road tax rates if they're lower than what you're currently paying.
    -If you buy a new car in Ireland after 1st July, you'll pay road tax based on CO2 only.
    -If you import a car that has a date of first registration in the original country before 01/01/08, you'll pay road tax based on engine size.
    -If your import qualifies for an 08 registration, you're in the same boat as the 08 Irish cars.

I can understand why SIMI would say that used imported cars will be taxed on the C02 emissions, it's in there members intrest not the publics....

Surley the revenue should let us know officaly what's happening....or do they not know themselves..

I doubt anyone from the revenue will put the yes or no answer i'm looking for in writing....:mad:

Del2005 wrote: »

Is this gospel.....can anyone prove it wrong.......I hope it's right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

for the ten millionth time on various forums across Ireland............

all cars Imported into Ireland that are registered elsewhere before july 2008 will be taxed on the old cc system

Minister Gormless has said so himself in numerous interviews

and long may Ireland be the "dumping ground" for high C02 emmitting cars, more fun for me, I'll just plant a few trees instead:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

siralfalot wrote: »
    for the ten millionth time on various forums across Ireland............

all cars Imported into Ireland that are registered elsewhere before july 2008 will be taxed on the old cc system

Minister Gormless has said so himself in numerous interviews

Amen that man.

I can't believe that people still haven't worked this out. I know lads hoarding secondhand 320d's in the hope they'll make a 'killing', and no matter what I tell them they won't believe me.

I've just called the department of environment...

All imported used cars registed before 08 wil be based on the old cc car tax....happy days...new vrt rates will apply.....

I also said the SIMI had contradicting information releating to cars over 225g co2.....They are aware of this and have asked SIMI to change the information but they have failed to do so yet.....

The SIMI booklet & Todays Irish Independent are wrong.......it's offical....

thanks to everyone who posted.......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I've just called the department of environment...

All imported used cars registed before 08 wil be based on the old cc car tax....happy days...new vrt rates will apply.....

I also said the SIMI had contradicting information releating to cars over 225g co2.....They are aware of this and have asked SIMI to change the information but they have failed to do so yet.....

The SIMI booklet & Todays Irish Independent are wrong.......it's offical....

thanks to everyone who posted.......

cool, thanks for the update

Jesus, I'd hate to be working in the Dept of Environment at the moment. If we're frustrated here about the confusion about the new rules, imagine how wrecked their heads are!!!!

Jesus, I'd hate to be working in the Dept of Environment

Chris i'm very glad your not :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Jesus, I'd hate to be working in the Dept of Environment at the moment. If we're frustrated here about the confusion about the new rules, imagine how wrecked their heads are!!!!
    Good enough for them, it was their boss that introduced this idiotic system in the first place.

Chris i'm very glad your not :D

Life's too glamorous out on the coalface, I'd never leave it.

That being said, I had the right answer for you and I had it to you quicker than them too! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

The current story is as stated;

VRT will be C02 based for second hand import
    Annual Tax will be under the current engine capacity system

HOWEVER, I wouldnt take this as gospel and the final word.

The way I see it the reason they had to back down on tax was because of the issue of not having co2 information readily available on every model of second hand car. But if they still want to VRT second hand cars based on the same info they're still gonna have a problem. I don't think they've realised the problem yet to be honest and I can see either further back downs coming or complete reversal on the latest line to a full c02 annual tax system like originally planned

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tails142 wrote: »
    The current story is as stated;

VRT will be C02 based for second hand import
    Annual Tax will be under the current engine capacity system

HOWEVER, I wouldnt take this as gospel and the final word.

The way I see it the reason they had to back down on tax was because of the issue of not having co2 information readily available on every model of second hand car. But if they still want to VRT second hand cars based on the same info they're still gonna have a problem. I don't think they've realised the problem yet to be honest and I can see either further back downs coming or complete reversal on the latest line to a full c02 annual tax system like originally planned

Afaik Car manufacturers have made CO2 emmission data available on their models going back to 2001. Also don't the UK have a similar system in place for about 10 years now, how do they cope?

I'm thinking the real reason they backed down on the motor tax is they realised that the arse would fall out of the Irish second hand car market as it would make more sense for people to import a second hand car from the UK with a low CO2 rating leaving huge numbers of unsold second hand cars sitting here. Maybe they realised that revenue from motor tax would drastically fall, also maybe there was presure from the SIMI to preserve the second hand car market here?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Consider it backed up. He's absolutely correct - €2,000 road tax

No, wrong!!!

Please check the first post of the sticky. As siralfalot and others said, for all pre-2008 cars, tax will be based on engine size. It doesn't matter where these cars were first bought / registered

The minister should take the blame for all this confusion as he doesn't seem to be able to make up his mind. Or is he the puppet under control by his big coalition partner? He's a coward anyway for not promoting the proper and decent green principle of "the polluter pays"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

my head is spinning!
    ok, can anyone answer this(and not flame me for being an idiot!)
    say i wanted a 306 '00 1.9 TD imported from UK. will it make any difference to import early or after July?

unkel wrote: »
    No, wrong!!!

Apologies, just noticed my two posts contradicted each other. Second post is correct, first post is based on SIMI info rather than latest DOE info - I've been brainwashed! :D:D

OP - 36% VRT and cc based road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've been brainwashed! :D:D

We've all been brainwashed :D

Gormless keeps changing his mind (or perhaps the master coalition partner is pulling different puppet strings...)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    my head is spinning!
    ok, can anyone answer this(and not flame me for being an idiot!)
    say i wanted a 306 '00 1.9 TD imported from UK. will it make any difference to import early or after July?

VRT on OMSP will change, roadtax will not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

smccarrick wrote: »
    VRT on OMSP will change, roadtax will not.

vrt gets better after july or worse??

Advertisement