Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyfriend gets too drunk

Options
  • 23-04-2008 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My boyfriend and i go out all the time , we enjoy our nights out .. thats all good. But when he goes out with his mates he comes home an absolute mess , so drunk he talks to himself , sometimes wets the bed and the next day never remembers not much/any from the night before ... I cant help wondering what if some girl came over and tried to kiss him and he cant remember that it ever happened ...I no i come across insecure but i cant help it. does anyone else share the same situation and how do you deal with it ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Why would any girl even want to kiss someone so drunk he's likely to wet the bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It doesnt happen all the time but it has happened that he has wet the bed , its more common than you think as i have read a previous post about it .
    Im in this relationship for better and worse , this is unfortunately the latter...but i can deal with this by just making him use the loo before he goes to bed , this is not my main concern , the forgetting the night before is .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You'd be sursprised.

OP, you need to sit him down and tell him that getting that drunk and coming home to you a mess is not acceptable, tell him that he should show a level of maturity when he is out drinking. My ex girlfriend would go out and when she got hammered she would come home and start all sorts of trouble, I tried talking but eventually I had to say enough is enough, I came from a drink troubled family and had to see it all my life so last thing I wanted was to continue seeing it.

Drink can be a major influence over peoples personalities and can control them, you really do need to know when you've had enough, sit him down talk to him, get his side of it but don't come accross as your trying to tell him what to do, just come accross as concerned which I believe you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ohlord123 wrote: »
    I cant help wondering what if some girl came over and tried to kiss him and he cant remember that it ever happened

tbh if that happened i wouldn't care in the slightest. if he's so drunk he doesn't know what's going on and some girl comes over and starts kissing him, it's hardly his doing. it's not like he purposely cheated. it'd actually be a kind of sexual assault if he's too drunk to conesnt

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    tbh if that happened i wouldn't care in the slightest. if he's so drunk he doesn't know what's going on and some girl comes over and starts kissing him, it's hardly his doing. it's not like he purposely cheated. it'd actually be a kind of sexual assault if he's too drunk to conesnt

Of course she would care, if that attitude was adopted then he could go out get blind drunk and soon enough sleep with someone and then say "Oh sorry honey I got blind drunk again and can't remember so it doesn't count"...don't think that's going to cut it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭teaholic

my boyfriend was like that too, hed get so drunk hed walk into the bathroom and just aim where ever.
    He learnt a very expensive lesson when he did it into my makeup box, I save up and buy No.7 or Mac which as you know is expensive.
    He was made replace everything, to the tune of approx €200, (mad yes i know but this was years of saving and buying "the good stuff".)
    I said thank you and if anything like that happened again I was gone. He realised how serious I was and now can show some self-restraint.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

OP, hate to do it but i'm defending the bf here. In any relationship i've been in, if i'm out with the missus, there's a constant thought at the back of the head "mustn't embarrass herself, must stay semi sober, must make sure i don't get drunk enough to do something stupid" and as a result, while i loved being with said girl, it was impossibe to fully unwind.

But a night with the lads..... well for starters, on most nights with the lads, we'd sit around and talk for the night. No need to worry about going dancing or anything flirty. AND we'd boost the drinking level several notches because i could afford to and i had nobody who was going to judge me harshly for it.
    Just because he goes home absolutely hammered is NO indication he's out flirting. As another poster said earlier, do you have any idea how hard it is to be attractive in that position????

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Of course she would care, if that attitude was adopted then he could go out get blind drunk and soon enough sleep with someone and then say "Oh sorry honey I got blind drunk again and can't remember so it doesn't count"...don't think that's going to cut it.

well that'd be a bit different in that he'd be getting drunk with the intention of doing it. as long as it's totally the random girl's doing and the bloke never had any intention of kissing someone else i don't see the problem

i don't think it's possible to unintentionally sleep with someone tbh. the OP was talking about a kiss

Like the other night he came home ( fair enough he was on a stag ) and he told me he got chatted up by this gorgeous girl but he said no i have a loving gf at home , he says it almost like he deserves a medal for turning her down whats that all about ? Why is in the the position that he is getting chatted up in the first place ?
    Knowing that he gets chatted up and gets so drunk he doesnt remember nights out = not a happy me .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

OP - on a night out on a stag at least, you end up talking to a whole load of people you normally wouldn't. I wouldn't worry too much about that.
    And yes, we guys do like a bit of acknowledgement that we did the right thing sometimes (we're like puppy dogs I suppose you could say.)

As for wetting the bed, if I were you I'd put my foot down. That sort of behaviour really is unacceptable in a grown man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

RedXIV wrote: »
    OP, hate to do it but i'm defending the bf here. In any relationship i've been in, if i'm out with the missus, there's a constant thought at the back of the head "mustn't embarrass herself, must stay semi sober, must make sure i don't get drunk enough to do something stupid" and as a result, while i loved being with said girl, it was impossibe to fully unwind.

But a night with the lads..... well for starters, on most nights with the lads, we'd sit around and talk for the night. No need to worry about going dancing or anything flirty. AND we'd boost the drinking level several notches because i could afford to and i had nobody who was going to judge me harshly for it.
    Just because he goes home absolutely hammered is NO indication he's out flirting. As another poster said earlier, do you have any idea how hard it is to be attractive in that position????

you are spot on my friend.

i go out with the GF and cant get hamered because im responsible for staying in a decent state to talk to her, have to get a taxi home with her etc....

but with the lads its just all out drinking, doesnt matter if you go home seperate, nobody is watching you drinking(unless your going slow!) you have no worries, its just carnage!

OP about the other night, i would bet that he told you he turned down a girl because you were hassleing him for getting into such bad states and probably saying to him "god only knows what you do be up to etc etc"

i go out and destroy myself with the lads but being hammered still doesnt mean you cant stop someone from kissing you, i get so drunk i cant remember things the next day too but i still managae not to walk out in front of busses etc!

just for the record ! I ALWAYS end up looking after him on a night out and i never hassle him for the state he gets in , he does his own thing so do i ! He is just a messy drunk and always ends up in a worse state than me so its totally not about him not being able to relax in my company or watching what he drinks , its not like that between us ... its just i worry about him cause he isnt great at handling his drink and telling him to take it easy drinking.... well i might as well be telling him to chug his pints !!
    I worry cause years ago we were fighting on a night out and he started hugging this girl to get at me and then just didnt remember a thing about it the next day ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

king-stew wrote: »
    i go out with the GF and cant get hamered because im responsible for staying in a decent state to talk to her, have to get a taxi home with her etc....

but with the lads its just all out drinking, doesnt matter if you go home seperate, nobody is watching you drinking(unless your going slow!) you have no worries, its just carnage!

I love a good mad session as much as the next person (possibly more!) but I find this post pretty pathetic. So you can only relax by getting into a state where you can't even talk to someone....

If you can't handle it don't do it. I once had to stand beside an ex of mine while he puked his ring up on the street in Dublin on a Saturday cos of a vicious hangover. It was mortifying. Also my brother peed once into my slippers when drunk, it was the last time he ever did it.

Don't get me wrong I can drink plenty and enjoy a session but when someone is pissing the bed thats a bit much if I have to sleep in it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭millyj

nothing wrong with going out and enjoying yourself with mates, its never healthy to spend ALL your time with a partner but getting so drunk that you lose control is out of order. My ex lived with me and sometimes would get so drunk he wouldnt come home at all, would be uncontactable on his mobile and then a couple of days later he would get texts from random girls. destroyed any trust we ever had.

Alright thers is different levels here of drunkeness that need to be addressed.

lets say you hit drunken level 1. this is the state where you know that the alcohol is slighty affecting you because your giddy, you do the "careful walk" when going to tha bathroom etc. you're in a state of happiness and beginning to unwind and forget about all problems.

drunken level 2 approaches. this is where peoples "drunken habits" kick in. For me it's getting friendly with everyone, determined to make more friends and reassure current ones that they are the best in the world. for some it might involve dancing, others singing, or if your unlucky, getting rowdy.

Drunken level 2 is as far as i'd ever go if i was out with a girlfriend, and even then it's usually only drunken level 1.

Drunken level 3 hits, you start ordering different drinks because you like the sound of the name or colour of the liquid. You KNOW not half of this is going to be remembered and at this stage all you want to do is laugh and have fun. Your buddies are around and you have an insatiable desire for 3 bags of chips, a battered sausage, 2 kebabs and a roast chicken if you could get your hands on it.

This is where is usually end up on a lads night out. Drunken level 3 is for LADS only.

Then there's the horrible, life changing, legend creating state of drunkeness. Drunken level 4. This is what happens when you lose the run of yourself. usually only occurs when stupid drinking starts from the get go and the fact you get back to the right house is an achievement. you could wake up on your stairs, holding a giant plastic pig and completely wrapped in cling film and christmas tinsel. or worse. Drunken level 4 is responsible for all the "peeing in the fridge because the light looked the same" or "needed the basin beside me in case of...you know..."

Now while i'm a strong advocate for drunken level 3, which practically DEMANDS no female presence to restrict the fun, I'm AGAINST drunken level 4 as i, and i'm sure most others have experienced it and it's not good. (the pig thing happened :()

just for the record ! I ALWAYS end up looking after him on a night out and i never hassle him for the state he gets in , he does his own thing so do i ! He is just a messy drunk and always ends up in a worse state than me so its totally not about him not being able to relax in my company or watching what he drinks , its not like that between us ... its just i worry about him cause he isnt great at handling his drink and telling him to take it easy drinking.... well i might as well be telling him to chug his pints !!
    I worry cause years ago we were fighting on a night out and he started hugging this girl to get at me and then just didnt remember a thing about it the next day ..

Should i just forget about the last part of this post , for some reason even though it happened ages ago it always sticks out in my head .

Like the other night he came home ( fair enough he was on a stag ) and he told me he got chatted up by this gorgeous girl but he said no i have a loving gf at home , he says it almost like he deserves a medal for turning her down whats that all about ? Why is in the the position that he is getting chatted up in the first place ?
    Knowing that he gets chatted up and gets so drunk he doesnt remember nights out = not a happy me .

Listen, if you're bf never ever got chatted up and people never checked him out would you now think....hang on.... is he a totl MINGER?

I was in similar situation on Saturday with my bf where we'd been at a friend's bday on the Friday night and he said some girl came up to him at the bar and said hello. He just said hi and turned away because he 'didn't feel he had to explain anything to her'

So what if people think he's hot enough to chat up. It fundamentally comes down to trusting the person. If you don't think he'd cheat when he's sober then why would he do it when he's drunk.

alcohol alters personalities but it's not going to make someone do something to which they've a moral objection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭millyj

he was hugging a girl just to annoy you? nightmare....that just screams of insecurities and too many mind games.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

To quote... Nail, Hammer,Head,

When out with the Gf I have a few beers and a bit of craic but i'm always well behaved because i feel i have to be, maybe thats weird...

Out with the lads and there's been times when I haven't been able to get out of bed for 2 days afterwards :D

millyj wrote: »
    he was hugging a girl just to annoy you? nightmare....that just screams of insecurities and too many mind games.....

His insecurities or mine ?
    He has never ever done anything like it since but my father cheated on my mother their entire marriage and eventually walked out on us and although ive never ever had a boyfriend cheat on me it always still at the back of my mind...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,906 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

do you have any idea how hard it is to be attractive in that position????

Yes. Yes I do.

I think the only problem you have here is bed wetting to be honest. If you don't like the fact that he drinks thats fine; but if its because you think he's out cheating on you, well, like Red says.

Alright thers is different levels here of drunkeness that need to be addressed.

lets say you hit drunken level 1. this is the state where you know that the alcohol is slighty affecting you because your giddy, you do the "careful walk" when going to tha bathroom etc. you're in a state of happiness and beginning to unwind and forget about all problems.

drunken level 2 approaches. this is where peoples "drunken habits" kick in. For me it's getting friendly with everyone, determined to make more friends and reassure current ones that they are the best in the world. for some it might involve dancing, others singing, or if your unlucky, getting rowdy.

Drunken level 2 is as far as i'd ever go if i was out with a girlfriend, and even then it's usually only drunken level 1.

Drunken level 3 hits, you start ordering different drinks because you like the sound of the name or colour of the liquid. You KNOW not half of this is going to be remembered and at this stage all you want to do is laugh and have fun. Your buddies are around and you have an insatiable desire for 3 bags of chips, a battered sausage, 2 kebabs and a roast chicken if you could get your hands on it.

This is where is usually end up on a lads night out. Drunken level 3 is for LADS only.

Then there's the horrible, life changing, legend creating state of drunkeness. Drunken level 4. This is what happens when you lose the run of yourself. usually only occurs when stupid drinking starts from the get go and the fact you get back to the right house is an achievement. you could wake up on your stairs, holding a giant plastic pig and completely wrapped in cling film and christmas tinsel. or worse. Drunken level 4 is responsible for all the "peeing in the fridge because the light looked the same" or "needed the basin beside me in case of...you know..."

Now while i'm a strong advocate for drunken level 3, which practically DEMANDS no female presence to restrict the fun, I'm AGAINST drunken level 4 as i, and i'm sure most others have experienced it and it's not good. (the pig thing happened :()

This is so true, Level 4 is a scary place in my time there I have destroyed a toilet bowl, killed a budgie (Accident went flying into the cage) , pissed all over myself, jumped off a shed , slept on top of a car , fallen down a stair case...I could go on...the rest of the time I just enjoy it level 3 is the one to be at AVOID 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭LaVidaLoca

Just becuase that kind of behaviour is considered normal in Ireland does not make it alright.

In most other countries in the world this stuff would be considered far beyond the pale of acceptable behaviour.

It's only us that shrug off stuff like this by saying "Ha ha he's a legend!"

Tell him you're not happy with it, you have every right to.

Secondly, drunkeness is not an excuse for cheating on your girlfriend. Though it sounds as if Mr Floppy Trousers wont be getting much of a chance to do that anyways.

LaVidaLoca wrote: »
    Just becuase that kind of behaviour is considered normal in Ireland does not make it alright.

In most other countries in the world this stuff would be considered far beyond the pale of acceptable behaviour.

It's only us that shrug off stuff like this by saying "Ha ha he's a legend!"

We're not in other countries, we're in IRELAND. People are constantly talking about the need to observe other people's customs in different countries, even if we don't approve. Watch the discovery channel and watch how people are treated. The fact that the irish are pretty much forgiven for getting overly drunk is universal. I'm sure in contrast to other countries, you might disapprove but then you should move to one of these "acceptable" countries.

But you'll have to remember that, and i've done a good bit of travelling in my young years, NOWHERE has a general population who are as easy going and helpful and friendly than the irish. A bit of drunkeness is an acceptable trade in my opinion for that kind of reputation

But Ireland has a major alcohol problem not just a "bit of drunkeness", and its about time we stopped saying "Ah sure we're grand".

We're not grand at all.

AHA! got ya now! :D it has recently been said on the magic box (tv) that England actually has a worse one!

Ireland is NOT the worst place to go drinking. everyone knows about the likes of Ibiza and Crete where all you CAN do is drink. We're not actually as bad as media makes us out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭JavaBear

Ah we're grand really though

Just because England also has an alcohol problem doesnt mean that we dont.

Ibiza and Crete are holiday Islands full of British/Irish/German people on holiday, they hardly reflect the mainstream of Spanish or Greek culture now do they?

We are as bad as the media makes us out to be. If you'd stay sober for 5 minutes you'd see that plainly. Dublin on a Saturday night is like a scene from Dawn of the Dead.

Anyways Ill probably get booted for being off topic.

Suffice it to say OP that your boyfriend may have a drinking problem and you might wanna talk to him about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭buckfast4me

I think your nagging will drive him away OP.

• Advertisement

I think your nagging will drive him away OP.

What nagging exactly ??? Maybe try reading the thread before posting .

Advertisement