Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Coasting

Options
  • 23-04-2008 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

I have a terrible habit of coasting and I have been trying to stop myself from doing it. Any advice from anyone on how to stop doing it? I have my test on Tuesday and noone is available to give lessons or pretests so I have to go it alone..

Anyone know what the 3 most common reasons for failing are??

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

Coming with a mental penalty against coasting is a tough one for me...

How about "Give your left leg a rest? It's bloody tiring..."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Put your foot on the floor when you're not using it. That's what I was told.

Good luck! ;)

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

AFAIK coasting is seen as "not being in control of the car". I know one person whose failure was in part due to coasting. Don't do it, it's a bad habit anyway. You could try describing what you're doing, step by step(silently is better ;)) Used little mantras myself like Mirror-Manoeuvre-Mirror and Clutch-Gear -Accelerate -Release-Left (Foot) on the Ground.
    Good luck with the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

if you arent changing gear or coming to a stop then put the foot on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

its like smoking just concentrate and dont give in to temptation to keep yer foot down. there is no patch for this habbit or gum but hypnosis may help :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭pinkmonkey

[QUOTE=Used little mantras myself like Mirror-Manoeuvre-Mirror and Clutch-Gear -Accelerate -Release-Left (Foot) on the Ground.
    Good luck with the test.[/QUOTE]
    hee hee hee :D

my problem is that when I start breaking I hold the clutch in also instead of dropping gears slowly and releasing the clutch.......I'm finding it tough to get out of! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

pinkmonkey wrote: »
    Did the trick for me.

my problem is that when I start breaking I hold the clutch in also instead of dropping gears slowly and releasing the clutch.......I'm finding it tough to get out of! :eek:

Why not just sit in the car without starting it and practise the manoeuvre? Clutch -Gear -Release- Foot on Floor and Repeat -up and down the gears. If there is an industrial estate near use that to practise just going up and down the gears. Even the open road would be fine - a quiet one preferably.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I had the exact same problem. Keep your foot planted on the ground. You're left foot is a one-trick pony, the clutch is it's purpose in life. That, and letting you slouch in the car. Adjust your seat so you can move the ball of your foot from the floor/footrest to the clutch by pivoting on your heel. Your legs will thank you. If you want to brake, take you right off the accelerator and brake with it.

Slap yourself hard in the face if you use the clutch without gearing up/down.

Go for a long (3-4 hours) drive around town. Your leg will get so tired riding the clutch that you'll be grateful to rest it on the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I have this problem too, been doing it for years so try to get out of it as soon as possible cause I'm in to the habit now, trying to get out of it too though, it's all habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

be careful!

just failed my test in swords on grade 2 faults - four for coasting....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The best advice is just to drive as much as possible and DO NOT under any circumstances coast, go for a long drive as said above and try and get your mind into the rhythm of things, ie, when slowing down to a stop: Brake (be braking throughout this), clutch, change to 3rd, release clutch, clutch in change to 2nd, release, clutch in and stop. You could also block change from 4th to 2nd if you want, i know a lot of people on here do this, but i would tend to cycle through the gears, especially for a test. Both my instructors told me to cycle through all the gears and only block change if you're late in cycling down through the gears, if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭pinkmonkey

My seat is not adjustable as someone suggested doing. The garage had to fix the part of it that your back rests against and as a result it no longer moves from its position. Will I get a penalty for this? Or can I say to the tester "I'm happy with the seat position"

In terms of changing from 5th down to 1st as alanstrainor outlined how long should it normally take to go right through them? as in when I start breaking in 5th gear to when i finally stop in 1st (assuming i come to a finally stop rather than simply slow right down)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Get a new seat.

Brake earlier, allow yourself time to gear down according to speed and distance to the rear-bumper ahead of you, as if the lights are red, they may well go green before you come to a stop. If you're in 2nd/3rd gear, you can keep going smoothly and improve traffic flow.

Drive efficiently :)

In terms of changing from 5th down to 1st as alanstrainor....)

First off most of your driving will only get you up to 4th gear and not 5th, unless you hit a dual carriage way, and when stopping you should stop in 2nd and not first. As for how long between each change, there's no set time, and it seems to me like your reasoning behind it is flawed. Consider which gear you're in to be the optimum for your current situation, as there are many factors that'll affect which gear to use, ie, engine size, speed, whether you're on a hill or not, weight in car...etc. A general rule of thumb would be to keep the rev counter between 1000 and 2000 revs on a flat surface and cycling up or down through the gears. This is assuming you're driving a petrol powered car.
    Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The best way to avoid this habit is to keep your leg pressed in against the seat. While this might be uncomfortable, it will keep your mind focused on what your leg is doing, and you should be able to avoid having your foot near the clutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭hippiechickie

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

I can see your point, I'd like to get an automatic license, drive for maybe 3 years to get used to it, and then go for a manual one once I'm used to regular driving. However, because they're not so popular in Ireland, the availability is poor and I'd have no access to one to learn in. Also, renting them can't be tough and is more expensive. And yes, they are more expensive to buy. Also, you don't have the same control or kick. My g/f has rented automatics before (she can only drive auto's) and overtaking can be a nightmare (sounds like the engine is going to drop out of the bottom).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Yep, you have to pass the test in the vehicle type you want to drive. If you do it in an automatic and pass, you will not be able to drive a car with manual transmission (well you might but not legally)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

hey, i actually had the same problem, I had a bad habbit of coasting right up until my very last lesson before my test. my instructer only then decided to share some knowlege with me that saved my ass.

ur probably clutching to prevent stall right?... in fuel injected engines (most of everything these days), you can reduce ur speed relitive to any gear you choose, (say 5mp/h in 1st gear) and just take all feet away from all pedals...it wont stall. i really didnt know ya could do that. give it a go anyway, gives ya a new feel for the car.

also, only clutch for gears, just before braking to a stop,take off, and very slow que travel

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It certainly has gears - otherwise you wouldn't get anywhere. It's just that the gears are changed automatically. ;)
    If you pass a test in an auto you may apply for a full licence but it will have a "78" stamped on it to indicate that the holder is restricted to cars with automatic transmission.

You could go down this route and pass the test and then subsequently get a Learner Permit to drive a manual car. You would have a Full Licence for autos and a Learner Permit for manuals.
    Delorian wrote: »
    the availability is poor
    The availibility is poor in small cars but it's the other was around in large executive cars - it's almost impossible to get one with manual transmission.
    Delorian wrote:
    overtaking can be a nightmare (sounds like the engine is going to drop out of the bottom).
    Perhaps in an auto with a small engine but overtaking in a 3 or 4 litre auto is silky smooth.
    Going downhill, clutching will usually increase speed! Use the brakes to slow down.

I did say when "going downhill".

In simple terms pressing the clutch pedal seperates the engine from the wheels. When going downhill and not accelerating, the engine provides some braking force. If you seperate the engine from the wheels without using the brakes, you would be in effect be "free wheeling" and not in control of the car. If you constantly press the clutch to prevent stalling in higher gears then you are travelling in the incorrect gear for your speed.

Swiftly press the clutch and drop to the next lower gear and allow the engine to reconnect with the wheels again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭agrajag

hey all,

test in Shannon next Tuesday, and I'm fine apart from coasting. I seem to have gotten rid of the worst of it by getting out of the habit of changing down through all the gears in sequence - now I come from 50 to 30 in 5th, skip 4th and change to 3rd, brake again to the low 20s, then into 2nd. but now I'm totally paranoid about keeping my foot on the clutch in 2nd, to the point where I've cut out a few times approaching lights, etc.

any thoughts? what exactly is the examiner looking for here?

Dave

You just need more practise to avoid leaving it too late. They are more concerned about those who 'coast' to avoid changing to a more appropriate gear especially when cornering.

Dont worry about it, most "coasting" faults are picked up by drivers taking corners with the clutch fully depressed and not just braking/coming to stop. And it sounds to me like you've over complicated the whole changing down through the gears. Dont be saying to yourself, "oh at 30km/h i should be in such a gear", just gradually slow and change down through the gears. Dont be afraid to depress the clutch just before coming to a stop.
    The examinor is looking for smooth gear changes and for you to be in control.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭VW08

Im pretty sure its 3rd gear your ment to skip, not 4th.

If your in 5th, slow down and go to 4th, then slow way down and go to 2nd. You can stop the car in 2nd. When you stop, pull up the hand break, while keeping your foot on the clutch, and go into 1st, so your ready to take off. If your the one of the first 3 cars at the junction, then keep the car in 1st gear, otherwise, you can put it into neutral.

When your coming to a stop, your foot should be on the brake. Only put your foot on the clutch the second the car feels like its struggling. And come to a stop.

I had my test a few months ago, and thats what I did, and I passed!!!

Best of luck.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭agrajag

Thanks for the replies, I do think I'm over-complicating things alright :)

Can't imagine why anyone would want to have the clutch in while cornering though :P

Advertisement