Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre question

Options
  • 23-04-2008 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Hi there folks,

I ordered 2 new Toyo Proxes T1R and they arrived today. In my infinite wisdom I accidentally ordered 205/45 R17, when there are 215/45 R17s on it at the moment!! These tyres are supposed to be for the front.

What would you do in the situation, would you send them back or fit them anyway?

I'm inclined towards fitting them anyway at the moment as there isnt a huge difference..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

If there isn't a huge price difference, get the wider ones. That is if you can wait the time. How worn are your fronts? Will you be able to last until the new ones come in?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The tyres are 10mm narrower then the original tyres. Unless it's a high perforance front wheel drive car it shouldn't make any difference. If the front tyres are badly worn I'd fit them, or if the cost of shipping them back for replacement is high I'd also fit them. If your in no rush and shipping isn't too expensive send them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I'd be more concerned about the different circumference affecting the accuracy of your speedo, but again it's a pretty small difference. Unless you're a loony you won't notice any less grip from a 10mm narrower tyre, especially with quality rubber like Proxes.

Edit:
    According to here: http://www.alloywheels.com/tyrecalc.asp
    The difference is only 2.6%

I'd fit them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

milltown wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned about the different circumference affecting the accuracy of your speedo

I'd fit them.

The circumference is the same on those tyres (old and new), only the width is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Tell me how please.
    Granted I'm out of the education system a few years now, but back then 45% of 205mm was less than 45% of 215mm.

Actually, the difference from that site is 1.46%, I compared 205s and 225s first time round I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

How is a 215mm tyre goign to fit on a 205mm wheel? Or vice versa... or am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭FredsWebHead

JohnCleary wrote: »
    How is a 215mm tyre goign to fit on a 205mm wheel? Or vice versa... or am I missing something here?

The 215mm or 205 mm is the width size of the tyre not the wheel. The wheel is 17inches. the tyre will fit, but what the lads are saying above is will it affect the speedo or grip. I know if you look in the owners manual of the car. It will give you a list of tyre sizes you can put on. If thats any help.
    Fence.
    Fred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Yep I was thinking if it wasnt too expensive I'd send them back, the fronts are okish at the mo so can wait a week or two and 205 is plenty of width too. Am waiting on eiretyres to get back to me on the procedure for returns.

One other thing, I'm going to google it now, but the dude going to fit my tyres said that it wont pass the NCT if they are a different width to the back? Sounds bull to me, I thought they just had to be the same on the front and same on the back, if that makes sense?

If its too expensive to return them I'm planning on sticking them on anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

OK, I should have said 'within acceptable limits' rather than 'same'. :rolleyes:

Those tyre will still fit, and speedo reading should not matter as all speedos are around 10% over to start with anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

PaulKK wrote: »
    One other thing, I'm going to google it now, but the dude going to fit my tyres said that it wont pass the NCT if they are a different width to the back? Sounds bull to me, I thought they just had to be the same on the front and same on the back, if that makes sense?

Not true, most performance rwd cars have wider tyres on the back to prevent over steer. Had an mr2 with 195 on the front and 215 on the rear, passed with no problems.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Not true, most performance rwd cars have wider tyres on the back to prevent over steer. Had an mr2 with 195 on the front and 215 on the rear, passed with no problems.

Cool, I had thought as much, I've seen plenty of BMWs with 245 etc on the back and 225 on the front so I was very sceptical.

Its €35 to send them back, i think i could live with that, I'm goin to think about it.

EDIT: Actually I've just spotted my NCT is on the 6th of May so I think Ill just fit the ones I have. Cheers for the help guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Imo, the difference is neglible.

However, as discussed on a thread here recently, you should fit the new tyres to the rear wheels, not to the front. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but that is the way to go. Even if they are 10mm narrower, and ever so slightly smaller circumference, I would definitely still fit them to the rear.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Just to back up on what others have said, dfferent size tyres are ok for the NCT providing they are the same size per axel, so your front two have to be the same size, and your back two have to be the same size, but the front and the back dont have to be the same size if you get me!

Hi lads, just to let ye know, I got in correspondence with eiretyres where I bought them and they said they would pick up the incorrect ones free of charge (even though it was my mistake) and refund them as soon as they got to their depot.

I have now ordered the correct size so things should be fine. Nevertheless thanks all for the advice in this thread, some useful info here.

On a side note I can't recommend eiretyres highly enough. I placed the order Friday evening and recieved it Wednesday morning and communication is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

On a side note I can't recommend eiretyres highly enough. I placed the order Friday evening and recieved it Wednesday morning and communication is excellent.

Its good that you got it sorted, they sound like a decent crowd to deal with.
    Am tempted to try them out next time im due a set, but am wondering how easy it is to get them fitted and at what cost. Seen some rough prices and €15 per corner would kill any savings, on my wheel size anyway.
    Plus ive mentioned it to a few people and they said that anywhere that sell their own tyres might not fit tyres that were purchased else where, any one have any good/bad experiences of this?

HJL wrote: »
    Seen some rough prices and €15 per corner would kill any savings, on my wheel size anyway.
    Plus ive mentioned it to a few people and they said that anywhere that sell their own tyres might not fit tyres that were purchased else where, any one have any good/bad experiences of this?

I checked a few of the places in Kilkenny and one in town I asked said he'd fit them (€20 a corner though), the others didnt want to as they said they took serial numbers etc in case anything ever went wrong.

I am now going to get them done by a local guy who deals with tyres/alloys when the new ones arrive, and he'll fit them for €10 a corner and balanced.
    I know of 2 other local guys that would do them aswell (fit and balance) they are small independant mechanics.

Theres a list on the site of fitters in your area, its under "find a fitter" once you select your tyre.

My advice would just be to ring a few places in your area and see what they can do. Usually the small independants will do it no problem, as they are unlikely to have unusual sizes in stock, and it saves them the hassle of ordering.

As regards to the savings, in Kilkenny I got a load of huffing and puffing when I asked all the tyre places about Toyo T1Rs, they are selling bridgestone turanzas for 130 in my size (not in stock of course) and I got my Toyos for 120 each, so for the same price, much better tyres.

Hey Paul,
    Nice to hear you got them sorted out. Just a question for you. Have you tried these tyres before? I'm going to be getting a set soon(same size as yours) for my own car. E120 per corner is not bad.
    Ditto,
    Fred.

Hi Fred,

I haven't tried them before, but I've done my homework before buying them, as I wanted to get good ones, IMO they are the most important thing on the car besides the brakes.

Nearly all the tyre rating sites have them at the top, and they were recommended by a couple of the fitters in Kilkenny to me who told me to definately go for them when they heard how much they were.

I've heard they are better than Eagle F1s, but I can't prove this as I have tried neither thusfas.

When they arrive next week and they are fitted I can give you a PM with what they are like after a few days, or maybe some of the guys here have used them before?

€120 is quite good when you consider the crap the fitters try to sell you at that price :p

I hear that, Cool let me know how you get on.
    Thanks again.
    Fred.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Good to see a positive response for Eiretyres, fair play to them.

I also have different size tyres (BMWs) on front & rear of both my cars. Never had any issue in NCT tets centre. In fact the alloys at the back are 1' wider in both cases.

• Advertisement
Advertisement