Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice on HD DV cams

• 23-04-2008 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi

I am looking at buying a HD camera with a view to shooting low budget indie films in my spare time, and am becoming snowed under by the amount of choices there are...my mind is frozen only after a few days research. This is what I'm looking for...

2nd hand if possible
    3ccd
    min res of 500 lines
    16:9
    24p if possible

budget 1,800 - 2,500

Any help guys cause this is driving me nuts - I'm ready to buy pretty much straight away. Also if anyone knows anyone that may have one to sell tell me..

thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

hmm

I picked up this 2nd hand for 3,000:

JVC-GY-HD100.jpg

Which ticks all the points, but that was a very very lucky buy via ebay. That was brand new, there's a second hand one for sale atm on ebay, but i dont know the seller (http://cgi.ebay.ie/JVC-GY-HD100E-720P-HDV-MiniDV-CAMCORDER-PAL-NTSC_W0QQitemZ120249111818QQihZ002QQcategoryZ11724QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#imageAnchor)

which is just over 2500

between 1800 - 2500 though.

Its easy to break it down by company because usually they stick with what they're good at:

Canon: Always make good lenses, pretty top end equipment, but unless your buying their top model you tend to find they shortchange you on options, though i've heard good things about xh a1, despite being the cheaper model it seems to deliver more then usual from Canon.

Sony: They dont tend to have as good lenses, but fantastic chips which usually means if you are stuck filming without much other equipment, a sony camera can usually still deliver a decent image without lights or filters etc. Problems with Sony is that they tend to flood the market with variations, you'll find the same chip set would be in 3-4 of their cameras and the only difference between them would be XLR sound support or body shape etc) So it can be a bit confusing when trying to buy one. The other issue personnally was in the last generation of prosumer cameras Sony delivered the best low light cameras on the market, ssadly it doesnt seem to be the case this time, though that was only from brief experiance with the FX1.

JVC: the hd 100-200 series is pretty awesome, but like the better Canon models it costs a pretty penny more but comes with alot more features, better lense etc. I havnt heard anything about a cheaper jvc model though.

Panasonic: The dark horse at the end of the standard definition, Panasonic Cameras tend to be really really well designed. The DVX1000 was clearly the best prosumer standard definition camera and the HVX2000 is continuing that tradition it seems. problem is unlike the dvx1000 which had both a fantastic set up and a cheapish price, the HVX is more expensive.

I guess at the moment the Canon XH A1 would be a good choice if you can get it that wont break your wallet.

canonpix2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 thejuicemaster

thanks a million for the advice great stuff - i studied film in bournemouth arts institute over 10 years ago, and have only just got around to getting my finger out and doing something about the dozens of short film scripts i have...the equipment i was using then is really far out of date!!
    I'll let you know how I get on
    thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

yeah if its going to be mostly drama related material then a Canon camera would be best.

Purely cause of the better lense.

Sony are more suited to filming events and sports (I have a vx2000 for filming sports)

and the JVC and panasonic are a sort of in between

Advertisement