Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Waiting on insurance disc before test!!!

Options
  • 23-04-2008 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Wondering if anyone can give me advice. I have recently renewed my insurance and after hounding my insurance company to send out my docs - i am still waiting! have test tomorrow and am freaking out! Am i right in thinking they wont let me do the test even though i am covered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

yeah they wont let you sit the test even if you bring a representative from the insurance company with you verifying that you are insured - organise a different car now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

You should have a letter of cover or something that proves you're insured? Or a receipt that has all the details of you being covered. If you are able to show them that i'd say you're ok. But i suggest you to ring the center and ask about it.

You should have a letter of cover or something that proves you're insured? Or a receipt that has all the details of you being covered. If you are able to show them that i'd say you're ok. But i suggest you to ring the center and ask about it.

nah i believe you must have a valid disk. but i was wrong once before it was a friday i think.

JoeySully wrote: »
    yeah they wont let you sit the test even if you bring a representative from the insurance company with you verifying that you are insured - organise a different car now :o

but you are "insured", without an insurance disc doenst mean she isnt insured. Surely there's a cover policy or something before the actual disc come. Which is accpeted by teh police, i really dont see why wouldnt the examiner accept that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 FionaS

Thanks for the feedback guys - renewed my policy over the phone so dont even have a receipt or anythin! Am hopin to god it comes in todays post or else i WILL have to change cars. What a nightmare! :(

• Advertisement

see here page 5 and 6

http://www.rsa.ie/SERVICES/upload/File/ADI%20FORMS/842_RSA_Standards_Proced_Booklet.pdf

At The Vehicle
    The Tester checks:
    (a) That ‘L’ plates are displayed to the front and rear, (except categories A, A1, M and W). A roof sign
    displaying proper ‘L’ plates is acceptable. Where an ‘L’ plate(s) is/are missing and can be obtained
    within a short walking distance, the applicant may be advised of this, and given reasonable time to
    get it/them provided this does not interfere with the time allotted for the test. The tester should
    not suggest to, or advise the applicant to drive in order to obtain ‘L’ plates.
    (b) That the Insurance Disc is in order, (not A1, A, M or W). See Office Notice 11/93. Photocopies are
    not acceptable.
    (c) That the N.C.T. Disc is in order, if required, (Cat. B, EB). See Office Notices 11/01 and 1/2002.
    (d) The Tax Disc, where it is necessary to establish the taxation class, or licence category. See Office
    Notice 14/2004.
    (e) The registration number, and records it on the Report Sheet.
    (f) Whether the vehicle (including motorcycles), has automatic transmission, and if so, tell the
    applicant that if they pass the test, that the licence will be limited to automatic transmission. (See
    Additional Procedures for particular categories).

FionaS wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback guys - renewed my policy over the phone so dont even have a receipt or anythin! Am hopin to god it comes in todays post or else i WILL have to change cars. What a nightmare! :(

what do you drive at the moment?

Just did some research online. And it is an offence of "'failure to display a tax disc" so yea,may change car. Best of luck. Get as much practice as possible in the other car

Well that clears it up then - thank joescully! Better get to sortin out a plan B!

Well that clears it up then - thank joescully! Better get to sortin out a plan B!

actually i'd advice you to ring them first. Because i know someone that just did their test without a L-plate!!

• Advertisement

Seriously? Thats crazy! Am just wondering now that if i change car - i'll have the same situation of being technically insured but my anme wont be on the insurance documents. Do they check them?

Seriously? Thats crazy! Am just wondering now that if i change car - i'll have the same situation of being technically insured but my anme wont be on the insurance documents. Do they check them?

no they will as you to sign the waiver that you are insured and then enusure that the disk on the car corresponds to the car but ask for no proof that it relates to you ie. dont ask for the insurance certifiacate.
    write down the registration number before you go into the test - you will be asked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brendan552004

Do not put the L plates up on the windows, stick them to the body of the car.

why? whats wrong with putting them on the windows?

yes,true story. He forgot to put the L-plates on cos he drove to dublin the other day(yep illegally). Went in,done the test,and passed!! the tester didnt say anything to him! I was shocked!

I dont think insured names are on the insurance disc anyway...only have the dates? hmm,my car is in car park,cant check

and, putting L-plates on windows os perfectly fine,and i thinks thats what you're meant to do.

I dont think insured names are on the insurance disc anyway...only have the dates? hmm,my car is in car park,cant check

and, putting L-plates on windows os perfectly fine,and i thinks thats what you're meant to do.

only registration number and policy number on ins disk.

lplates on the windows :) front top left - back top right. i remember a very long thread on here that went on for ages about the location of the L plates, dont think there was a final agreement so i have sent a mail to the RSA to see what there stance on L plate location is - so get back to you in about 6 to 7 months with their reply :D
    oh and make them look like and L ie the right way round.

Cheers for th tips guys! Have just called my house and my insurance disc has arrived!!! Thanks be to jaysus! So i'm all set for tomorrow. Now i just have to focus on not knockin any1 down or hittin any curbs. :p

Thanks again for all th info!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

why? whats wrong with putting them on the windows?

I'm going to presume he meant that they reduce visibility - especially out the back window. That why I put mine on the body. It won't go against you in the test anyway (unless you don't see something! ;))

Cheers for th tips guys! Have just called my house and my insurance disc has arrived!!! Thanks be to jaysus! So i'm all set for tomorrow. Now i just have to focus on not knockin any1 down or hittin any curbs. :p

Thanks again for all th info!

haha fantastic!! no need to worry anymore!! good luck!

Advertisement