Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

12 Essential rules to live more like a zen monk

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Mervatron

That's a fantastic article.

Im gonna print it out and stick it up next to me desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Great article Khannie. I have been practising Zen Buddhism for several years now, but I would not call myself a Buddhist. I take the good things from Zen Buddhism, so that I am content. Like Asiaprod, I have made many mistakes in the past...but what would be the point in dwelling on them? :) Buddhism is helping me live a better life.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭KamikazeKenny81

I saw these 12 rules a few days ago and found them very interesting. Most of the buddhist teachings I have read or seen have been Tibetan but I liked the sound of these so I gave them a go.

They went really well, I have been focusing on 1 thing at a time and making sure I finish each task before moving on to the next one. My problem is I think Ive become carried away with my productivity. Today I started a number of tasks and came up against different things that ment that task had to be put off until tomorrow, understandably I became increasingly frustrated :D

What does Zen say about what to do if the task you start can not be completed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

What does Zen say about what to do if the task you start can not be completed?

I was thinking about this myself a few weeks ago when I first read the article.

The only conclusion I came to was you let go you understand that it's out of your control let go of any frustrations and move on to the next most important task until such time the last one can be completed.

I guess when it comes working in todays moderen society you have to try and adjust these "guidelines" to try and suit your circumstances but the most important part I would assume is not letting the frustration affect your well being.

understand why it can't be finish and let go..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

he covers it a bit in no 4

Do it completely. Put your mind completely on the task. Don’t move on to the next task until you’re finished. If, for some reason, you have no choice but to move on to something else, try to at least put away the unfinished task and clean up after yourself. If you prepare a sandwich, don’t start eating it until you’ve put away the stuff you used to prepare it, wiped down the counter, and washed the dishes used for preparation. Then you’re done with that task, and can focus more completely on the next task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭KamikazeKenny81

Cheers ntl, I had a re-read yesterday alright and it highlighted some of my mistakes. It goes to show how different people take different things from the same set of instructions, I had infact only taken on a few pointers and I will be sure to check back to them again in a few days to ensure I havent forgotten bits.

It sounds obvious when u explain the need for overcoming frustration, its like everything i guess, was looking and hoping for an easy answer. The answer is obvious, achieving it is much harder. :p

Advertisement