Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anything be done about the state of road surfaces?

Options
  • 23-04-2008 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Gripe no. 1:-Enjoyed a cycle to Dublin city centre today for the first time this year. Great surface between Mount Merrion Avenue to the Blackrock Clinic but whoever is responsible for the state of the surface from Merrion Gates towards town should be sued, it's scandalous, even with works going on to have it in that condition is deplorable. The cycle tracks on the N11 southbound have disimproved dramatically since last year too, particularly from RTE to Foxrock Church. Is there any point in complaining to the councils about this or will it all fall on deaf ears?

Gripe no. 2:-Why, when on the N11 southbound must cyclists give way to traffic coming from minor roads when using cycle tracks? Is it not discrimination that these motorists must yield to all traffic approaching from their right other than cyclists? If there was no cycle track cyclists would have right of way so why should we lose it accommodate motorists? Seems a bit at odds with a government supposedly trying to keep cars out of Dublin.

OK, rant over

BTW. Beofre the inevitable I am also a motorist who pays road tax at a rate higher than most despite having a car that emits fewer emissions than most.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

brayblue24 wrote: »
    I am also a motorist who pays road tax
    You pay vehicle tax to be allowed to use your car on the road. We all pay road tax through our income tax. Small but important point as some motorists think that their vehicle tax (which they incorrectly describe as road tax) gives them more right to use the road than a cyclist.

WRT to the road surfaces, yes, emailing the Road Maintenance department is a good start. It might be also worth asking the appropriate councillor to raise the issue.
    Having said all that, it's a hell of a lot of work to follow up on your reports. They can wear you down through inaction and indifference. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

daymobrew wrote: »
    You pay vehicle tax to be allowed to use your car on the road. We all pay road tax through our income tax. Small but important point as some motorists think that their vehicle tax (which they incorrectly describe as road tax) gives them more right to use the road than a cyclist.

There's no need for that. I only stated I pay road tax in order to put off posters from going down the road of "You don't pay tax to cycle.." etc. as I clearly pointed out in the last line. And if you want to get pedantic about it it's a ROAD FUND LICENCE but I wanted to keep it in lay speak but thanks for the rest of your reply, I read it and it was helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

brayblue24 wrote: »
    There's no need for that. I only stated I pay road tax in order to put off posters from going down the road
    I didn't know that you were a motorist until you added that line. Your complaints are very valid so I was unsure why you mentioned the tax part.

Advertisement