Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telephone extension cable too long?

Options
  • 23-04-2008 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

I've been having a beef with BT over speeds on our broadband line and he told me the cable connecting the router to the telephone socket was too long and probably causing the poor speeds.

Now, I only put this cable in last week so it's not the issue.

But I never heard that one before. Is it true? The telephone socket's in the bedroom and I have a 15 metre telephone cable snaking into the router beside the computer.

Surely another 15 metres onto a few miles of cables doesn't make a difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

quad_red wrote: »
    I've been having a beef with BT over speeds on our broadband line and he told me the cable connecting the router to the telephone socket was too long and probably causing the poor speeds.

Now, I only put this cable in last week so it's not the issue.

But I never heard that one before. Is it true? The telephone socket's in the bedroom and I have a 15 metre telephone cable snaking into the router beside the computer.

Surely another 15 metres onto a few miles of cables doesn't make a difference?

Yes it is. I will say 8 out of 10 times.

15 m is veeeeery long.

Try with the regular 1.5 m cable and see if there is any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Technically the length shouldn't make a difference but a poor quality/damaged cable would. The route the cable takes also matters, ie running close toother electrical items that could cause interference or tangled with power leads etc.

Did you move the pc closer to the phone point and try a shorter cable to rule it out?
    If it's plugged into an extension socket instead of the master socket, that could also be a source of your problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

No, it was connected with a standard 1.5 metre cable up to last weekend and the problem's being going on for the last few months.

AND, after the irate phone call to BT support yesterday, we had a rock solid 1.6 mb download speed last night. Even with the 15 metre cable.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

had some trouble with bt speeds myself last week and in the end they said i was connecting to a faulty server . i had tried all the stuff the guy told me to do over the phone already , reset the modem / turn off pc etc but it made no difference. i was still getting sub 20kbs download speeds, even from http://url.ie/qv.

in the end he did something on his end and the speeds have been fine over the last few days , +300kbs download speed and the speedtests are showing what they should for a 3 meg download connection.

btw , my router is right beside the phone in the hall , no extensions .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

quad_red wrote: »
    No, it was connected with a standard 1.5 metre cable up to last weekend and the problem's being going on for the last few months.

AND, after the irate phone call to BT support yesterday, we had a rock solid 1.6 mb download speed last night. Even with the 15 metre cable.

:confused:

Dont worry much about that. Just do the basic things. Test it from the main socket, no extensions, nothing connected to the phones blah blah blah

And if the problem is still there then report it to BT.

There could be a PSTN fault that could be affecting the service.

But I am telling you, most of the time is something we forgot to filter, or that extension.

BT wont mind booking a fault for you but it will take sometime for them to get back to you and if the problem turns out to be on your side it would just feel like a waste of time

If you want we can try giving you a hand. Get your line stats and post them here.

Also ping and tracerts to their DNS server will help (192.111.39.1)

• Advertisement
Advertisement