Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Overtaking parked cars

Options
  • 23-04-2008 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I failed my driving test a few weeks ago, mainly because I had 3 grade 2's under Overtaking in the Observation section. I should have asked the tester about it after I failed really, but I didn't.

I didn't overtake any moving cars in the test, so I guess it was for overtaking parked cars (I needed to do this a lot when driving through estates with narrow roads)

Can someone explain exactly what I need to do when overtaking parked cars on a narrow road? Under which circumstances should I indicate, where should I looking, etc? Should I slow way down to make sure no cars are coming against me before overtaking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Open to correction on this:

You should be looking up the road for oncoming traffic, people getting into/out of a parked car, children running between cars, the usual. Maybe slow down a bit if necessary.
    You indicate and check your blind spots before you move to the right, especially if going over the line.
    Once you've moved out enough and are again driving straight, you turn off your indicator so as not to confuse oncoming cars who might think you're turning right further up.
    Once you've passed the parked car/cars, you indicate left and move back onto your side of the road/reassume you driving position on the road.

If going around a blind bend, it would be wise to slow down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

plazzTT wrote: »
    Hi,

I failed my driving test a few weeks ago, mainly because I had 3 grade 2's under Overtaking in the Observation section. I should have asked the tester about it after I failed really, but I didn't.

He wouldn't have discussed the results with you anyway.
    I didn't overtake any moving cars in the test, so I guess it was for overtaking parked cars (I needed to do this a lot when driving through estates with narrow roads)

Can someone explain exactly what I need to do when overtaking parked cars on a narrow road? Under which circumstances should I indicate, where should I looking, etc? Should I slow way down to make sure no cars are coming against me before overtaking?

Slow down and give way to traffic coming against you. If the road is wide, then leave a full door's width between yourself and the parked cars, otherwise proceed very slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Noskoda

Hi,

I had 3 grade 2's under Overtaking in the Observation section. I should have asked the tester about it after I failed really, but I didn't.

Because you were faulted under the 'observation' section, this had nothing to do with indicating or the space you left between you and the cars you overtook. Whenever overtaking anything, before you overtake you should check your relevant mirrors i.e centre and right mirror when moving out to the right and centre and left mirror when moving to left. If you feel the need to quickly look over your shoulder (blind spot) do so, but this is rarely necessary if you have been checking your centre mirror regularly as you drive.

The important thing is to check before you ever turn the wheel to move out, and make sure you are looking forward as you pass the vehicles.

Advertisement